cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Public Mobile signal when Telus signal is strong

sparkaction
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife and I just joined to PM and we are experiencing weak LTE signal in our home.  Is there anything that can be done since the Telus LTE signal is strong in our home? 

Background

My wife use to be on Telus and then joined Rogers and now she is on PM (4.5 GB on 3G).  On the same phone on the first 2 providers, the LTE signal has been strong.  When she started using the PM service, we have little to no LTE signal in our home.  She has experienced pausing when making a phone call.  When she switches to 4G, the signal is strong.

I use a Rogers pay-as-you-go phone only service and a Fido tablet plan.  What I noticed when I manaully select Fido-EXT (extended network which I assume is Telus because there is no Bell tower near my home), the signal is also strong.  

Thanks for the assistance.

6 REPLIES 6

While some people argue that the signal strength between different devices is small, even a small difference can mean a great signal difference between 2 different users.

Believe it or not, a device that picks up signals better can actually show lower signal on a routine bassis.  This can happen when the device insists on locking on to a signal of a high frequency band.  Now, in the case of a device that doesn't have a good of signal, it may just skip that high frequency band altogether.  In other situations, the device with better signal properties will be able to provide just slightly stronger signal, but enough a boost to take you from the service not working to working well.

In the end, with so many variables involved, as long as your service works acceptably, I wouldn't even worry about it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is the first time I have heard of differences is signal between Telus and Public Mobile.  Although Public Mobile is a tier 3 service, they are excluded from certain "premium" (aka expensive) features but never restricted access to cell towers.  For LTE, I have connected to B2, B4, B5, B7, B17.  That is quite the variety.   

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Effort wrote:

Public Mobile doesn't support voLTE so calls are 3G.

This is probably what the issue is as my phone always takes a second to drop down to 3G when making a call. 

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile doesn't support voLTE so calls are 3G.

sparkaction
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife is using a BlackBerry Priv.  She got this phone on contract with Telus . 

You do bring up a good point. I should try my wife's PM SIM in my Nexus 6P to check if it's a band issue. 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What do you have for a phone?   Is seems like your phone is not able to take advantage of all the LTE bands that the Bell/Telus tower has to offer. 

Need Help? Let's chat.