cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to port Prepaid Telus # to Public Mobile and put new phone on Prepaid Telus Plan - how?

sweet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have two phones.  Phone #1, has no SIM card (ie new phone) and Phone #2 has SIM card with $90 on pre-paid Telus plan.  What I would like, is to set up Phone #2 with Public mobile.  I want to Port the Telus Prepaid number.  This first part is easy.  However, I would also like to set up Phone #1 to use the remainder of the pre-paid Telus plan.  Is this possible?  If it is possible, what is the order of steps I would take to do this without losing the $90 credit from the Telus pre-paid plan?  My thoughts:

1) Set up Phone #2 on Public Mobile and make request to Port #

2) Contact Telus (voice call) to set up new device and new phone number with Phone #1 using the prepaid SIM card from Phone #2.

Will this work?  Or am I going to lose the $90 credit on the prepaid plan?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8

@sweet 

Rereading your original post and @Korth reply reminded me that I thought I had a similar issue when i first activated. I ported my smartphone number first then nearly a month later i wanted to activate and port in my flip phone number. My smartphone number had no promo on it but the flip phone was getting the RBC promo on the $40/5gb plan and 5gb of add on data.

Eureka! I scheduled my smartphone number to change on next renewal to the $10 50/50 plan (no longer available) and activated with the promo on the flip phone number. Then I simply switched the sim cards between phones. The smartphone has data and the flip phone has none. I told my friends and family to start using my back up number as my preferred contact method and the other number as my back up. Both numbers have now migrated into my smart phone as it's dual SIM but this essentially solves your problem.

Why not just put your Telus SIM card into whichever phone you prefer to use, use up the Telus minutes you've already bought, then switch to Public?

@sweet 

How much are the minutes worth? You could take advantage of the latest offer by signing up with your email and activating on the last day...sept 11th with a temp number. I recommend the $25/1gb plan or even the $40/5gb plan. Wait for the credit to be applied to your account then schedule on your next renewal a plan change to the $15 plan.  For $40+tax your referral $10 bonus credit and autopay you will get 6 months of service for about  $6.65 a month and you can use up your telus minutes supplementing your 100 outgoing minutes on the $15 plan then port over when they are almost depleted.

sweet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You are correct.  I contacted Telus.  As soon as I port the cell phone number to Public, the existing prepaid plan becomes useless.  The existing prepaid plan didn't have any $'s left to spend, just minutes.  It sounded like there might have been some options if the prepaid plan had some $'s in it, but they weren't willing to do anything with the minutes.

@sweet 

Call telus. They are the only ones who can set up your account to allow this to happen. Just don't tell them you intend to leave them. Just tell them the phone number that you want to port to pm is for or your grandma or something. If its possible then telus will set you up with the ability to port your number to pm.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@sweet hi talk to customer support. because pm is tied to Telus I'm sure they can figure something out for you. they're very kind and understanding.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@sweet you will lose your $90 porting your Telus number will close your Telus account.  Stay safe. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@sweet wrote:

I have two phones.  Phone #1, has no SIM card (ie new phone) and Phone #2 has SIM card with $90 on pre-paid Telus plan.  What I would like, is to set up Phone #2 with Public mobile.  I want to Port the Telus Prepaid number.  This first part is easy.  However, I would also like to set up Phone #1 to use the remainder of the pre-paid Telus plan.  Is this possible?  If it is possible, what is the order of steps I would take to do this without losing the $90 credit from the Telus pre-paid plan?  My thoughts:

1) Set up Phone #2 on Public Mobile and make request to Port #

2) Contact Telus (voice call) to set up new device and new phone number with Phone #1 using the prepaid SIM card from Phone #2.

Will this work?  Or am I going to lose the $90 credit on the prepaid plan?

Thank you

@sweet hi sorry you cannot transfer any credits to Public you will also need two Public sims and two separate emails 

Need Help? Let's chat.