cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE option is gone when using Public Mobile SIM

Kent4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm using a Samsung S20+ phone.  When using a PM sim card the VoLTE option is completely gone.  When I add my previous sim from another carrier, the option is available.  Telus lists my phone as compatible with the VoLTE network and I need it for use in the USA.  

Any ideas?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Kent4  PM's VoLTE compatible list is near the bottom of this page, unfortunately the S20 isn't on it

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

Unfortunatley, the list that Public Mobile has provided isn't complete.  I'm aware that the customer is asking about a Galaxy S20+, but in the case of the Telus-sold Galaxy S20 FE, that phone does work on VoLTE at Public Mobile even though it is not on the list.

Ladie1

Kent4, I just returned from the US where I used the s20fe quite successfully for 3 weeks on the CA-US Plan.  As you mention, there are quite a few of the recommended settings that weren't showing up on my phone, so I'll mention what worked for me in case there's some small difference that might explain why mine worked and your s20 didn't.

After setting it to roaming I selected autoconnect to  LTE/WCDMA/GSM.  I also set it to select the best network, and it switched between T-Mobile and AT&T as we traveled  around the state. 

There was no mention of volte in my phone's settings, but the voice quality was excellent with no dropped calls using these simple settings.

Hope this or one of the other suggestions here helps you to use your phone with no headaches when you return to the US on Thursday.

Yes those are the only options, I have the same phone. But it should work when you  put your phone to 2G and connect to T-Mobile. From the settings menu, turn on data .

Kent4

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try.  I'm back in Canada now but will be stateside again Thursday.

@Kent4 

when you want to test T-Mobile with 2G network, pick GSM only

@Kent4 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If you have issue with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Kent4

My only options are LTE/WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only and GSM only.  

@Kent4  You're n the US now?  Drop the phone to 2G and connect to T-Mobile and it should work

Kent4

The call immediately goes to Call Ended and will not connect.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Kent4PM hides the option but enables it on phones on there white list . You can test for it yourself i know the s20 is 5G ready to but does not get the option on PM but will with Telus . But you. A test for voLTE  . Turn off wifi and set phone to LTE and make a call dose the phone stay on LTE or drop to 3G ? If stay on LTE voLTE is enabled 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

With PM thisbiption is hidden, but it is actually there.

If possible, put your phone to 4G/LTE and connect to T-Mobile or AT&T.   

If calls still don't work, put your phone to 2G and connect to T-Mobile. From the settings menu, turn on data roaming.

I hope this will be helpful. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kent4 

first, Telus (and PM) will hide the VoLTE option for all these phones, regardless the phone is VoLTE compatible to Telus/PM system or not.  But those VoLTE compatible phones will be enabled even the option is hidden

But S20+ is on on PM's VoLTE compatible list.  So, you still using 3G for voice calls

FYI, here is the list:

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Kent4  PM's VoLTE compatible list is near the bottom of this page, unfortunately the S20 isn't on it

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Kent4- Try making a call and see if your phone changes to 3G. If it switches to 3G, then it is not VoLTE enabled therefore you'll not be able to use 3G, but you can use T-Mobile 2G if you want to to get calls. If it stays on 4G / LTE, then VoLTE is enabled in the background. Safe travels! ✈️

Need Help? Let's chat.