cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification codes

trusted_source1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm not receiving verification codes for 2FA from foreign financial institutions (U.S. or UK). When there is an option to receive the code via telephone call then I get the call. But if the only option is to click on "Send Code" then I don't receive it and the transaction fails. Codes from Canadian banks come through fine. Text and SMS worldwide OK! Diagnosis? Remedy? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

trusted_source1

Thank you for the link to the blog post. I will see if that offers any potential solutions.

@trusted_source1 wrote:

That list of short codes seems to be about where I can send rather than from where and what I can receive. Is that right?

@trusted_source1 

No, the list of short codes there is the approved list for both send and receive

@trusted_source1 wrote:

I don't know what it means that short codes only work locally. Does it vary by carrier?

@trusted_source1 

banks uses short code (those 6 digits code instead of a regular phone number) to send 2FA code

those shortcodes are designed to work in that particular country and not send overseas.  In other work, your overseas bank's 2FA code won't send to Canada

Even banks uses regular phone number to send code, it might not work due to CASL (Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation)
https://www.twilio.com/blog/2017/11/due-to-casl-canadian-carriers-might-be-locking-out-your-users.ht...

@trusted_source1 wrote:

what's the point of having a credit card at a foreign bank if you can't make purchases with it in Canada?. 

You can still use it in Canada, you just either need to turn off 2FA or as I said in my above post, reach out to your bank and ask them what the alternative ways are to get the 2FA codes, authenticator app or email?

trusted_source1

That list of short codes seems to be about where I can send rather than from where and what I can receive. Is that right?

trusted_source1

It has never worked but I thought I'd finally try to see if I could sort it out. I mean, what's the point of having a credit card at a foreign bank if you can't make purchases with it in Canada?. I don't know what it means that short codes only work locally. Does it vary by carrier?

@trusted_source1 wrote:

Been with PM for more than a year so that's not it.

Hi @trusted_source1 

were you ever able to get the 2FA code from that overseas bank?  It could simply be the fact that their code might not come to Canada at all

Please check with you bank to see if there is alternate ways for 2FA, like email or Authenticator app.  Better to use the authenticator app but email would be ok if that is the only choice

trusted_source1

Been with PM for more than a year so that's not it.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@trusted_source1 

please note that international shortcode text, like 2FA text from US banks, are not guaranteed., it is a hit or miss. Regular international text are ok but not shortcodes.  It might work on some providers sometime and experience show it will broke sometime 

only Canadian shortcode text found here are guaranteed 
https://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/

Also, if your just ported in your number, regular Canadian shortcode text might delay 3 to 7days.   Some banks  put the delay on purpose in case of sim fraud

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @trusted_source1 

have you ever receive those code on PM sim card before? 

Foreign bank 2FA might not work as they sent via shortcode but shortcode only works locally

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@trusted_source1  If you just joined PM and it’s been is the a week . It should start to come . Takes some time for the 2FA to know you truly change carrier 

Need Help? Let's chat.