cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification Code while overseas

tmckee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm currently in Slovakia with my family for my husbands work. He switched his SIM card (from PM to his American one, were he gets decent overseas service)so he could use GPS/texting while he ran errands but as he switched back, since we don't have service, he cannot receive his Verification text to change his number back. Is there a way around receiving it as a text and perhaps as an email instead?

13 REPLIES 13

@tmckee wrote:

Never mind. I think it is an apple issue specifically. It's to verify the trusted number with the apple id account. I have to verify either via text or call. Which I cannot receive without service 😞

Yes, When you change SIM/phone number the Apple servers require access to SMS to confirm the number. A likely workaround when travelling is to set iMessage to use his email only; i.e. same as a wifi only iPad.

Go to Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON >> Send and Receive: remove all "tick" marks except for Apple id email address.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmckee wrote:

Never mind. I think it is an apple issue specifically. It's to verify the trusted number with the apple id account. I have to verify either via text or call. Which I cannot receive without service 😞

Ah. So cellphoneuser1 hit on it. When you put in the other provider SIM, did iMessage send a code? Then you tried putting in the PM SIM and iMessage wants to send a code?

If so on both then apparently that's what iMessage does on insertion of a new provider SIM.

Good to know.

tmckee

@tmckee Could it be asking for the sim pin? That's 1234.  Or is it iMessage asking for a code? 

tmckee

He says he's asked to enter a verification code when he puts his PM sim card back in his phone so he is not able to use iMessage with his Canadian phone number until he can receive this verification text. I don't know why he's required to enter a verification code just to switch his sim card, he just is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmckee : But what verification code? You should be able to use iMessage with another iMessage user with no cell service...just wifi.

tmckee

Ok, thanks for the replies. I had hoped he could just get it back working at least to continue to use his iMessage when he's in our apartment on wifi. Now that he's taken his SIM out it seems he's required to type in a verification code first. We weren't really interested in roaming here anyways, it was just a matter of hanging onto it until we picked up a local SIM card. It's too bad he cannot do this verification through his email.

@tmckee wrote:

we're here for work. I assumed we could just have the PM still active in case of emergency while we picked up a Slovakia SIM card while we were here, so that we didn't need to text EVERYONE in our phones our new numbers (he travels a LOT for his work.. living overseas for part of the year and Canada during the summer)

@tmckee Unfortunately as others have pointed out, the service only works in Canada and if you buy a roaming add on, in the USA. You can suspend your service while overseas using the lost/stolen phone. You won't pay any renewals that you can'y use. This works for up to 90 days. After that your number is gone, rewards lost and account closed so renew online every 85 days or so in case their is an issue. If needed longer, change to the $15 plan (careful you may lose promotions associated with sign up). This will give you another 30 days, then suspend again for 85ish days.

tmckee

we're here for work. I assumed we could just have the PM still active in case of emergency while we picked up a Slovakia SIM card while we were here, so that we didn't need to text EVERYONE in our phones our new numbers (he travels a LOT for his work.. living overseas for part of the year and Canada during the summer)

Roaming is only available in the US.  

You could use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow or WhatsApp.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmckee wrote:

So he cannot receive texts or calls on his number if needed anyways? 

Only in Canada or partially the US.

tmckee

So he cannot receive texts or calls on his number if needed anyways? 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@tmckee wrote:

I'm currently in Slovakia with my family for my husbands work. He switched his SIM card (from PM to his American one, were he gets decent overseas service)so he could use GPS/texting while he ran errands but as he switched back, since we don't have service, he cannot receive his Verification text to change his number back. Is there a way around receiving it as a text and perhaps as an email instead?

@tmckee If all he did was swap out the sim why does he need a verification code? The service won't work in Slovakia. When he gets back to Canada just use the PM sim. Nothing will have changed. Or am I missing something?

Need Help? Let's chat.