cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using points to pay quarterly bill

BGKK5153
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. With my current plan my 90 day renewal fee automatically uses all my loyalty credits etc. to pay part of the bill and the balance is charged as autopay to my banking account. No income taxes are charged for using my accumulated points. With the new points system can I continue to use all the points accumulated in  my account every 90 days as I'm doing now? Thank you.

Brain

24 REPLIES 24

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Mr. Brain.. 

There is no Income tax but it is sales tax depends on province you are registered in.

MR-medeiros1992
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Exciting News 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BGKK5153 : Yes thank you. Others piped in with that information. I suspect that disclaimer is directed at businesses and employees/employers thereof...not personal use redemptions. But I'm no tax lawyer. I would ignore tax implications at my personal level.

BGKK5153

Can you answer the question regarding if , like the current plan, the new points plan will allow autopay. Thank you

BGKK5153

From the terms and conditions listed " You will be
responsible for the reporting of any income tax benefits and the payment of any taxes arising from the redemption of Points for Rewards."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anniemacdonald8 : Welcome to the Public Mobile Community. Great of you to jump and start participating.

So..sorta kinda almost just about 🙂

Whatever rewards you have will get paid into your account at renewal which would go towards your plan cost. Loyalty, autopay and referrals will get reset for the new term. Community will get reset to zero. The Community reward is based on monthly participation. It gets calculated and shown in your rewards area around about the 6th each month. Then after that it will get converted into Available Funds at your next renewal like the other rewards and reset to zero again.

When your renewal day floats up to around that day of conversion then it can get a bit messy. You really want to stay on top of it around those days.

anniemacdonald8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

From my understanding and rewards you receive need to be used within the 30 day period. they pull your rewards to use for your bill between the 1st and the 6th of the month if there are rewards after the 6th it would be applied to your next 30 day bill. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

On the current rewards program there is no income tax or sales tax either nor are the freebies taxed. 

Income tax give me a break. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Nice find. It raises the point that in some cases donating your points in certain loyalty programs may be the best benefit of all. Save on more points are frustratingly difficult to earn on a cost benefit basis. I had basically been aiming for bc ferry adult ticket as it is the most practical redemption with a calculation of saving about $10 on the $17.85 fare based on the 1000 points=$1 basic redemption rate. 7200 points = 1 adult ferry fare. However the very best redemption rate is on Jimmy Pattison endorsed charities with 4800 points=$20 donation a more than 4:1 redemption rate which given your income tax rate and how you may maximize charitable donations in subsequent tax years can give you an income tax deduction/refund of over 85% on your charitable donations.

What that basically means is you can turn $100 in points that you could use to see the Canucks play for free can be donated to generate a $1700 income tax deduction. That's how you maximize a rewards redemption.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CIBC says from July 2020 not for personal. They'd be all over businesses though.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

I always read the small print.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Ah lawyers. That is some kinda CYA.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous @Yummy 

This is the line being referred to:

You are responsible for any tax liability arising from your participation in the Program including the redemption of Points for Rewards. You will be responsible for the reporting of any income tax benefits and the payment of any taxes arising from the redemption of Points for Rewards.

Income tax benefits can be subject to various levels of federal and provincial taxes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : SHHH!!! SHUT UP!!!!  🙂

I'm not going down the CRA rabbit hole to investigate. What are retail reward providers gonna do... start sending out T4's? Yeah I don't think so.

@darlicious wrote:

I'm assuming you have read the small print and are wondering what kind of reward that you redeem for would be subject to income tax?

Where do you find that 'small print'? I did not see any in Announcement for these points.

Some of us are here 24/7 for the Community reward.  So, it does look like a full time job and should definitely be paying income tax 😂🤣

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BGKK5153 

I'm assuming you have read the small print and are wondering what kind of reward that you redeem for would be subject to income tax? I wonder that myself but that could just be a disclaimer by pm in case the federal government changes income tax laws that would consider the earning of points income once redeemed for a reward with a cash value equivalency.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Twice now...provincial sales tax...not income tax. GST or the combined HST is not an income tax.

@darlicious wrote:

does mention income tax but until the entire program is rolled out it is impossible to say how the rewards may affect income tax.

WHAT income tax???? I copied the announcement, searched for 'income' and did not find it???

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BGKK5153 

If you remain in the current rewards program everything stays the same. The new loyalty rewards program "Public Points" does mention income tax but until the entire program is rolled out it is impossible to say how the rewards may affect income tax.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Nobody knows how new point system will actually work.

I am just hoping they will not get rid of Community rewards as then not many customers will participate.

And not to mention autopay and loyalty rewards...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @BGKK5153   We don't know much yet.  No details to the new Point system.  But from what Jade and everyone said, look like we can keep our "grandfather" reward system and things should stay the same.  At least hopefully. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

The pre-announcement announcement is suggesting that existing customers on the existing rewards system will be able to choose which one they would like to go on. New customers would go on the new system.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BGKK5153 

There is no new points system yet. It has not yet been revealed. The announcement from a few days ago was just informing us of another announcement that is yet to come.

Need Help? Let's chat.