cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mobile phone as hot spot

brunovoyer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Does anyone know how to properly configure one's phone to be a hot spot?
I activated the wi-fi mobile access feature on my Motorola G phone. When I tried connecting to it using my laptop, it said I had a limited connection with no internet.
Many thanks for your help!
Happy new year to everyone!
Bruno
9 REPLIES 9

brunovoyer
I first wrote down on a piece of paper all the parameters for the Mobile Internet APN (which is identified as using sp.mb.com). Then I created a new APN with a new name (I called it Hotspot) and filled its list of parameters using the previously handwritten information, and adding ",dun" to APN Type. APN Type now reads as follows: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
My phone is a Motorola G.
Hope this helps.
Bruno

Carole_L

Where exactly did you add "dun" to APN Type? APN: sp.mb.com ?? In APN type I have only the choice of mms, mms + internet, or internet.
Thank you.

The need to include dun in the APN type is device specific.  Of all the phones I have ever owned, only two so far has required this workaround.  I also have a opo and i agree the workaround is not required.

@JUNA1D5HAH wrote:

I have used my OnePlus One as a Hot Spot several times with no issues.

I did not have to change any settings or configuration from when used to be with "Hell".

Check the APN settings just in case.

Hope that helps!

JUNA1D5HAH
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have used my OnePlus One as a Hot Spot several times with no issues.

I did not have to change any settings or configuration from when used to be with "Hell".

Check the APN settings just in case.

Hope that helps!

No problem.  Glad to be a helpful part of the community.  

brunovoyer
Wow! It works!!!!
I followed your instructions by creating a new APN using the same paraneters as for the mobile internet one and adding "dun" to the APN Type.
Amazing.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
It is greatly appreciated, as this stuff is quite complex for most of us.
A very happy new year to you.
Bruno

Edit the mobile internet APN.  If your phone restricts editing of built in APNs, create your own, use all the information from the mobile internet APN, but use a unique name. 

brunovoyer
Thank you for your help!
Under "Acces Point Names", two show up:

Mobile Internet
Tethered Mobile Internet

When I select the second one, I cannot seem to be able to modify it, but in the list of parameters I can see APN type set to dun.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Edit the APN, add dun in the APN type field, save the changes, reboot the phone.  See if that helps.  

Need Help? Let's chat.