cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a PM account for land line using land line type handsets.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I see that Telus offers a ZTE box and service that allow the use of a conventional handset. Can  one buy a second hand ZTE box and use a PM SIM in it or does that set up require some type of initializing by the carrier? Telus does not appear to offer concise options and pricing. Nor would I be interested in a 2 year deal, especially if it did not work in my location. 

Just looking at cellular options to run land line with. 

Another thought is  using the Panasonic Link2cell phone sets. 

19 REPLIES 19

barrascuk

That’s for sure. 

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

$20 at Koodo is deal breaker.

barrascuk

I thought same. 

@Quigley wrote:

@barrascuk  I just read the terms of the Koodo offer and they suck big-time!  You'll be charged the regular price of $20 not $5 bucks after month 14.  That sucks.   Fongo is a better deal all around.

You found the devil in the fine print... 

honest, I was wondering if it is $5 , can i put the SIM in a phone? but $20 ruin the deal..  😞

barrascuk

@Quigley 

Yes I saw the Koodo. But if I can leave Koodo at any time it is not a bad deal. 

@barrascuk  I just read the terms of the Koodo offer and they suck big-time!  You'll be charged the regular price of $20 not $5 bucks after month 14.  That sucks.   Fongo is a better deal all around.

@barrascuk   With Fongo there's no agreement it's strictly month to month. You can port in and out no problem. 

If you want a Fongo freebie, just send me a private message.

barrascuk

re Koodo.  Looks good for the short term. Is it with no agreement? Can you port out number?
See terms. 

321DCC01-E86A-401C-91F6-A551AE00468C.png

thanks @Quigley 

@Anonymous  yes, new tech saves us money but not Safe. Another major power outage like 20 years ago and we will all regret..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Quigley : Oh yes me too...but it is a possibility. UPS's also keep the power from the wall nice and clean so as not to do any possible damage to the device.

@hTideGnow   There's only a one time fee of $29 for the adapter .  Monthly fee only  $4.95 plus taxe for the telephone service. I have it and my router plugged into a battery backup pack, so it's still running during power outages!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : But it's reliant on power to the device. POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) on good ol' copper is the most reliable. Although the CO's (central office's) and cell towers would still be susceptible to a power outage and any cordless base in either case. I don't know what they do for power protection at CO's and towers.

@Quigley   great suggestion for Fongo Home, too.  what is the one time device  fee?

I like the idea for Koodo, it doesn't use data, so if internet is down,  it won't bring down the "home phone"

@hTideGnow  It's better and cheaper to go with the Fongo home phone system.

honest good price.   Surprise that if is open for non Koodo subscribers with this price.. but the $130 device charge is not cheap 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The cheapest option is to get the wireless home phone from Koodo.  It's $5 per month with unlimited Canada wide calling.  No Public Mobile option can touch this pricing.  I have been using a wireless home phone for about a decade.  I have the signal backfed into the phone jacks so I can use any cordless or corded phone in every room in the house.

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barrascuk : I had Telus SmartHub that was only wifi internet. No phone. But it had the ports. I tried the PM SIM in it and voice and data worked. Obviously no texting.

I also have the Telus Wireless Home Phone. I tried the PM SIM in it and it worked fine. Again no texting.

I can't remember the exact model numbers. I wrote about it quite some time ago.

barrascuk

lol thanks. 

I just found this too. 

The MF279T uses the TELUS cellular network to provide phone service to your cordless or corded. home phone(s) and Internet access to your computer and Wi-Fi enabled devices. Place it anywhere in. your home where you have a strong wireless signal.

I assume this unit does the the land line using a SIM but appears to also have  WiFi output too??  Would that mean using Data or does Telus over OTA internet as well?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

someone confirmed in Raddit that they can put a PM SIM in a carried locked  Koodo ZTE box and it works like charm. 

So, sound ok as Telus/Koodo/PM is one big happy family.  

Need Help? Let's chat.