cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usa Data Not Working

Evelo8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Community,

I've read the posts here about troubleshooting when data is not working while roaming in the US. I have an android phone, a 50GB within Canada and US plan. I arrived in Arizona yesterday and my data is not working. I've turned on data roaming, removed any data usage limits, rebooted my phone several times, turned off automatic connection to a carrier and am on 4G speed. Nothing has worked. The only carrier that shows up when I try to manually connect is "Verizon (forbidden)", which doesn't let me connect to. Any help would be appreciated as it is very frustrating to have a paid service that doesn't work! Thanks a lot!

17 REPLIES 17

I am a little late to the party, take note of the warning.  It looks like certain foreign devices are being blacklisted from US networks.  

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/US/vivo-y20

Evelo8

Yeah I don't think the data will work on my phone while I'm in the States, which sucks. If I see a T-Mobile store I may drop in. Thanks for the help. 

Evelo8

I'm on 4G in Canada. Doesn't look like it'll work while I'm here in the USA. Appreciate your help though!

I tried to post a link to Kimovil for the Vivo Y20 but it disappeared and didn't post.  The bands on that phone look quite limited in the USA.  Maybe find a T-Mobile store and see if they can get it working?

@Evelo8 I can't find much info on that phone, other than it's from oversees. It's highly likely that's your issue, as the bands may not be compatible. Keep in mind the US shut their 3G networks down, and it's not a 5G phone; so you'd need to ensure the 4G bands are compatible. Or if you can luck out and find a 2G T-Mobile connection.

Question: when in Canada can you use 4G? We still have our 3G networks, so you'll have more options in Canada than in the US.

Evelo8

It's a vivo v2029 and is unlocked. I put in my phone's imei to the T-Mobile website and it said my phone is compatible on their network. 

@Evelo8 What phone is it?

Evelo8

Thanks for the reply. I checked and my phone is compatible on the T-Mobile network, but possibly not on the AT&T network.  I'm in a major city in Arizona, so there wouldn't be coverage issues. I'm at a loss now as to why my phone won't pick up the T-Mobile carrier. 

@Chalupa_Batman Right. And you provided instructions (for a different phone) for something he already said he did (and confirmed in 3 different posts), so presumably knows how to do. Again, please slow down to read the question rather than spitting out the same canned responses that aren't relevant.

I do agree the phone may not be compatible. Or there simply isn't coverage where they are.

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman Please read the first post again. He already turned off automatic and only sees Verizon as an option.

VoLTE is a secondary issue. First off he needs to connect to a network. 

I did read. But I have personally experienced without explanation the phone goes back into automatic mode after a reboot. LOL. Hence my comment. 

I have a feeling his phone may not be compatible but guess we'll find out. 

@Chalupa_Batman Please read the first post again. He already turned off automatic and only sees Verizon as an option.

VoLTE is a secondary issue. First off he needs to connect to a network. 

@Evelo8 wrote:

Again, I did all that prior to posting my question.  No option comes up to choose a carrier like t mobile, a t & t. 

So you turned off automatic and rebooted? If carriers like T-Mobile or AT&T aren't showing up, something ain't right.  Which Android phone do you have? Does it have VoLTE?

Evelo8

Again, I did all that prior to posting my question.  No option comes up to choose a carrier like t mobile, a t & t. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Have you checked T-Mobile and AT&T coverage maps to see if there is coverage in the area you're in? Is your device from oversees? What phone is it?

I always leave mine on automatic network selection, but I force the phone into 4G because 5G AT&T doesn't work. I've never had the issues iPhone users seem to have with it automatically trying to connect to Verizon, which isn't a roaming partner.

But if there's no coverage where you are or your phone isn't compatible, you may be out of luck. You could try resetting your network connections.

Please check my first post again. Changed it to Android. 🙂 

Evelo8

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm on android, but as mentioned in my post no other carrier shows up for me to choose like T-Mobile. Only Verizon (forbidden ) shows up. Obviously something isn't right and I don't know how to fix it. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Evelo8 

I was just in the US last week with no issues. Here's how I did it. Make sure Cellular Data is on and Cellular Data Options - Roaming On.

How to change Network Operators on Android

Find network operators by sliding your finger downwards from the top of the screen.

Chalupa_Batman_8-1713028493126.png

Press the settings icon.

Press Connections

Chalupa_Batman_10-1713028493123.png

Press Mobile Networks

Chalupa_Batman_11-1713028493122.png

Press Network operators

Chalupa_Batman_12-1713028493121.png

Press Select Manually and wait till your phone searches available networks.

Chalupa_Batman_13-1713028493115.png

Press the either AT&T or T-Mobile

Chalupa_Batman_14-1713028493122.png

Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Chalupa_Batman_15-1713028493124.png

Now reboot and you should be ready to go!

Created by Chalupa Batman

Need Help? Let's chat.