cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to $35 NEW 5g plan

YvonA1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, i've been on the $25 / 3g 1gb data  plan for a few years now, i recently am going to take advantage of the $34 5g 50gb data plan and was wondering if this is right for me.  The reason i ask is i am wondering at some point the 3g may no longer be supported? And in future would i secure such a plan offering/

Any thoughts going forward with this thought of newer technology without shelling out more $ 9 Dollars more to be exact is it worth the switch?

9 REPLIES 9

YvonA1

Ok, thank you Dunkman. I try the $34  Plan with my $5 discount not to bad.

YvonA1

Thank you.

YvonA1

i am a customer for over 3 years now can i switch to the $29 plan still?

YvonA1

Thank you Chalupa, i do not go to the states at all and am very close to being considered a senior now. Maybe that is to much for me . I should maybe look at the $29 20gb 4 g plan instead. Thank you for insight, as well as Dunkman which i forgot to mention i do not go to the USA at all.

@YvonA1 wrote:

No, i am just about half that usage, my son says i dont need that much, perhaps i shoud take the $29 20gb data 4g plan instead? I am almost senior very soon and maybe the 4g will be around much longer than 3g plan ?

@YvonA1 

Unfortunately $29 plan is only for new activations or customers only at the present time. Existing customers are unable to choose this plan.  4G or LTE is newer technology than 3G.

Also, budget considerations.  If $9 per month difference won't make a big dent in your monthly expenses, then you can consider a switch.  

You can also try it out the new plan for 1-2 months.  If you don't need, you can always switch back to $25 plan.  

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@YvonA1 

You can access both the 3G and 4G LTE networks with Public Mobile. If your phone is capable and you can also access the 5G network. A "3G", "4G" or "5G" plan with Public Mobile refers to the data speed you will recieve.

A "3G" plan means your data speed on the 4G LTE is throttled to 3mbps. On the 3G network you will recieve on average 10 to 12mbps up to 20+mbps but will vary depending on network traffic so could be much slower at times. The 5G network will be nonstarter.

A "4G" plan will allow data speeds up to 100mbps on the the 4G LTE network. The 3G network speeds will be the same as above as well as the 5G network.

A "5G" plan allows data speeds of up to 250mbps on both the 4G LTE network and the 5G network and data speed on the 3G network as above.

Voice calls with Public Mobile use the 3G network or if your phone is provisioned for VOLTE and on Public Mobile's whitelist it will also use the 4G LTE network depending on which network has the strongest signal.

If you tend to use more than 1GB of data or would like to use more mobile data then spending $9 more per month for 49GB more along with US Roaming and calling to the US is a great deal especially now that data add ons expire after 30 days. You can always schedule a plan change on next renewal and try it out for 30 days and schedule a plan change back to the $25/1GB plan if you don't need the extra features. Keep in mind the $34/50GB Canada/US Roaming plan expires tomorrow ( March 4th). Schedule the plan change now as you can always cancel it right up until your renewal date.

*You will use more mobile data doing the same things online than with a "3G" plan but with 50GB to use it won't make that much difference.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Good evening @YvonA1 

I recently was on the $29 30GB 4G plan. Previous to that I was on the $25 5G 3G plan. I figured, eh, $4 more for faster speeds and more data. What the heck. Then, this $34 50GB 5G Canada/US package came out. I was like... YES PLEASE!! Granted I only got to the US 4-5 times a year, mostly for day trips or weekend trips. But to me, that was value because addons were $15-30 each.  

With the above being said and what Dunkman said, it's really up to you and what you think works best for you. And I wouldn't worry about what technology is coming or going. There is always something better and better all the time. You have to ask yourself. Would that extra 49GB of 5G much faster data come in handy? Now I can watch YouTube while waiting at the doctors office. And if you go to the US for a vacation or weekend getaway, it sure would be great to keep in touch with friends and family back home. For you, it may be a tough choice. For me, for $5 more, it has amazing value.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1709525444808.png

YvonA1

No, i am just about half that usage, my son says i dont need that much, perhaps i shoud take the $29 20gb data 4g plan instead? I am almost senior very soon and maybe the 4g will be around much longer than 3g plan ?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@YvonA1 

3G network will eventually be decommissioned in Canada. Time frame is still unknown.  

Key question is are you consistently using more than 1GB data per month?  Do you travel to the US often? If not, I would say keep your present plan.  

Overall, the price plans have provided better value over time (especially for plan $35 +) over the last couple of years.  More data, faster speeds and better roaming.  I would say that the pricing hopefully should even get better over time.  

Saying that, this $34 plan is a very popular plan for a reason.  Lots of fast data, large bucket of data and US roaming. 

Need Help? Let's chat.