cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data - is this on all 5G plans?

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, 

Few weeks ago I subscribed to the PM Canada-US 4G plan. At the time I was told that only 5G plans come with Unlimited Data.

Now, PM is offering exact same Canada-US plan but with 5G. Do the Canada-US 5G plans come with Unlimited Data or not?

I checked the wording used and the $45 5G plan mentions unlimited data and the $50 Canada-US 5G plan fails to mention anything about unlimited data.

Second question which will be bonus to answer for me:

•If on 4G my data usage is 23gigs to 33gigs, would this mean if I'm on a 5G plan those numbers would be higher or same? 

93 REPLIES 93

ipro31

@Yzeguy 

I have same plan as you, so no unlimited either. However, if I were given the option I'd take any unlimited data option just to have it for emergencies. (Even if I barely ever go past the 40gigs). Even with 256kbps unlimited speeds I used to be able to get away with email, Google RCS messages, Navigation. All that worked. 

Unlimited doesn't have to have good speed for it to have its purpose... I'd take the slow speeds over having to pay for those data buckets.

Just because the plan we have don't include unlimited data doesn't mean unlimited data is bad. This is the one feature Canada-US plans are missing. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Yzeguy- Your post made it sound like you were reporting your experience. Two of us thought the same thing. nevermind.

@Yzeguy  you are on the Canada-US plan?

acutally if you are, as far as we understand , the Canada-US plan does not come with unlimited data at reduced speed.  So, it is likely a hard limit and data will stop working once it hits the max

@Yzeguy- Do some speedtests when you are set to 5G (if you are). Then 4G LTE. Then 3G HSPA (WCDMA). Let us know your results.
It shouldn't be surprising. Web sites these days are so over loaded with so much excess crap. You can trim some of that by not including images or see if the site has a "lite" version. I recently learned about cbc lite that strips everything out and makes it just simply readable headlines to tap.
Emails should be no problem. Many apps shouldn't take too much data.

Yzeguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m good. I never hit max data on the Canada-USA plan. I was just pointing out the 512 kb is not usable except for some basic tasks so the unlimited plans do actually have limits. Nice feature. 

@Yzeguy 

PM reduced speed, while is not the best,  is not the worst among carriers.  Some carriers only give customers 256kbps, which is half as what you are getting

Yes, the reduce speed is more for email and texting or navigation only, not really for smooth web browsing .  I hope your renewal day is coming up soon.  If you really need regular speed, you might want to consider earlier renewal with the help of PM support or doing so yourself by Change Subscription with Change Now option.   

Yzeguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

And… not sure if any of you have ever reached your data limit, but unlimited is a joke… the speed slowdown is enough to make you aware that unlimited has serious limits. 

@ipro31 Not your buddy. But what I meant was it's an old ad they are still running. Because it's still relevant. 

@ipro31 You edited your reply so it's tough to keep my replies straight. I just don't find the ad misleading. And I would never make a purchasing decision on that add alone anyway; I'd go to the plan details (which you have to do before subscribing anyway) which is very clear.

I call out PM when its warranted, but in this situation the only thing that I think that needs to be called out is the agents who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Get them some training!

ipro31

Where is Saul Goodman when you need him!

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

No buddy, the ad I took screenshot this morning when I was browsing news on Chrome using my Moto Edge+ 2023. It's an advertisement from August 20, 2023 

@ipro31 My intent is to limit the misinformation being stated as fact. People rely on the information in this community to make purchasing decisions, and it's not helpful to be spreading incorrect information. I acknowledge PM staff told you it includes it, but they've been known to be wrong. Every sign points to these *not* being unlimited. The plan details don't say unlimited, and then bonus data add-on's still work; both of these statements are not true on plans that include unlimited data.

I will gladly come on here and admit I was wrong if someone with first hand experience comes on and says otherwise, but that's not you and I don't accept the message you are relaying.

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

I was saying false advertising, misrepresented ads, misrepresented plan descriptions is exactly why I made this thread.

So, not saying "All" or not mentioning in tiny print at the bottom "select" 5g plans is called misrepresented or misrepresenting. Google has a perfect definition:

"A misrepresentation is a false or misleading statement or a material omission which renders other statements misleading, with intent to deceive."

@ipro31 It's probably an old ad from prior to the Can/US plan. It's still correct. And the plan details very clearly differentiate which ones have unlimited and which ones don't.

Screenshot_20230820-085041.png

Screenshot_20230820-085104.png

Screenshot_20230820-085138.png

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

Your fighting the wording of that advertisement like you paid to have it go up 😂😂

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

Exactly, you just proved my point there. It doesn't say "all" or "select" 5G plans. Someone who denies deceptive advertising works for the Big 3!

@ipro31 Where does that ad say that "all" 5G plans come with unlimited data? The confusion is because when the 5G plans launched they all included 5G data. In fact, PM staff probably received training in that regard. Then time went by and the Can/US plans came out, which changed all that. The agents probably didn't bother to learn about hese new plans (which is obvious by the response you got about 30GB), so now they're just spewing outdated information.

Again, that ad doesn't all "all" 5G plans.

ipro31

1000007281.png

@dust2dust  @makkahn28  @DennyCrane 

Look at attached image. This is a perfect example what's creating the confusion. It's done intentionally to confuse you. They want you to think all 5G plans have unlimited. It's not right because the wording suggests all 5G plans have unlimited 😂😂😂

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28- Nope. Still not believing it. The fact that data add-ons don't go into incompatible status is the first clue. The fact that unlimited is not mentioned for these roaming plans is the second clue. We await real world observations from anyone that goes through their plan data and at what quantity of data they get the warnings whether or not they have any data add-ons.
The fact that we are seeing conflicting replies from support means that we can only rely on real world experiences.
I wish people wouldn't lean so heavily on support supposedly knowing these kinds of things.

@ipro31 , I had again already private messaged a PM CSA, Here's the response back

Hello makkahn28,

Thank you for reaching me back.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my end.

We have an old $50 plan which includes Unlimited Can-wide talk and text + 30 GB but this does not include US roaming, so when you are in the US, you need to add a US roaming add-on.

When I answered, I did not realize that we were talking about the new $50 promo plan Canada-US + 40 GB Data at 5G Speed, this plan certainly includes throttled speed both in Canada and in the US.

It was my mistake, I really apologize for the wrong information, and for the inconvenience this may cause.

I appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,

Edmund
Public Mobile Customer Support  Agent

ipro31

@makkahn28  

The Canada-US 40GB Plan does not have Unlimited Data at Reduced Speeds. This goes for Canada and US. A plan that has unlimited data is unlimited in both countries. It can't be one country but not the other. This just doesn't make sense... You should use up all of your data and do a real world test to confirm. CSR told me No Unlimited Data; it's very clear not included when you compare the text to the Canada only plans. 

@makkahn28 I know exactly what you're saying, and I don't believe you or the agents telling you this. I'll believe it when we have someone test it successfully and report back. I firmly believe it's not unlimited, and I think you should be cautious spreading that around based on the word of a couple agents.

The agent I talked to also said they'd update the webpage, yet they still haven't. It clearly is not unlimited according to the website.

Hi. @DennyCrane , This was Not in regards to Add-Ons at all, It was for the 5G LTE Advanced Speeds Can-US Unlim Throttle speed

When the 250MB 40GB Allocated Cap is reached then the 512kbps down/upload Throttle speed Post-40GB Data takes effect, The Can-US Plan Has the Unlim Data, PM CSA's have confirmed

The Throttle speed Is Only in effect in Canada Only, US would Require a Data Roam Add-On Separate If the Original 40GB Data Allocation is Exhausted 

@makkahn28- And it's yet another misunderstanding answer. You're not asking about add-ons.
All we know so far is that the freebie data add-ons do NOT get shifted into an incompatible list. This hints to the likelihood that the roaming plan is NOT unlimited. The data add-ons in the other 5G plans DO show as incompatible.

I see you're fishing around different agents trying to find an answer but clearly they have no clue. We're waiting for reports from real use observations as to what happens when a roaming plan uses all their data and has no data add-ons on hand. And then other corroboration. But 40 gigs is a crap-ton of data to blow through. But maybe people do.

@makkahn28Interesting. That's the third different answer they've given so far. I still don't buy that. 

Here's additional information, The Unlim Data Throttle speed has a Caveat

Answering your question:
The reduced (throttled) speed is applicable only to your base plan, that is, only in Canada, and not applicable to the US roaming add-ons.

If you need more information about the PM Network Traffic Management Policies, you can find it by clicking HERE.

This from a PM CSA Edmund 

Hi. This is what an PM CSA stated for that

My apologies for the information shared about the throttled data, upon further investigation and consultation, plan does include unlimited data (data is throttled after data bucket depletion).

@dust2dust The throttle has been changed. I never got in the 200's on my 4G plan. I just find that the 5G network isn't as good where I live in Surrey, BC. Maybe it's because I'm in my house and it doesn't penetrate as well. Not sure. Overall I find the 4G network more stable, so I'll be leaving my network selection in 4G for the foreseeable future. I had a similar experience when the carriers were transitioning from 3G to 4G; I left LTE off for quite a while because I just didn't find it to be very reliable.

But it's still a gain for me because clearly I'm getting great speed, even on the 4G network. 

@DennyCrane- Well that 5G one doesn't look very promising. computergeek541 had more proper results. I wonder if there is still some kind of wait.

@dust2dust 

Yes I have VoLTE

I don't plan on blowing through my data. Someone else will have to test that one. I can't even use 20GB 🤣

I'll let you know about the welcome text and the experience on AT&T.

Speed has already kicked in. This is at home, with better results on the 4G network as per my usual experience.

4G network (with a 5G plan)

Screenshot_20230813-061617.png

5G network (with a 5G plan)

Screenshot_20230813-061728.png

Need Help? Let's chat.