cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data - is this on all 5G plans?

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, 

Few weeks ago I subscribed to the PM Canada-US 4G plan. At the time I was told that only 5G plans come with Unlimited Data.

Now, PM is offering exact same Canada-US plan but with 5G. Do the Canada-US 5G plans come with Unlimited Data or not?

I checked the wording used and the $45 5G plan mentions unlimited data and the $50 Canada-US 5G plan fails to mention anything about unlimited data.

Second question which will be bonus to answer for me:

•If on 4G my data usage is 23gigs to 33gigs, would this mean if I'm on a 5G plan those numbers would be higher or same? 

93 REPLIES 93

@makkahn28 Thanks for sharing that. I would however take it with a grain of salt. Agents have been known to be misinformed. I'm looking forward to someone making out their plan and testing this.

I'll believe it when somebody reports real world experience. The footnote is not indicated for the roaming plans. Somebody took enough care (who knew) to add the footnote for the non-roaming plans and enough care to not have it for the roaming plans.
The next question I would have for those who get the 5G version is whether data add-ons are marked as incompatible.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

@ipro31 , @dust2dust , @DennyCrane , @Priority , @Handy1 , Here's what I heard in regards to the 5G LTE Advanced $50 Can-US Wide Plan:

Hey there,

Yes, all 5G plans should have throttled data once you use the included monthly 40GB.

And yes, based on the information, it's pretty much the same thing, but with data at 5G speeds instead of 4G.

And since it's a plan with 5G data, you can use throttled data afterwards instead of just not having data at all until renewal as with a plan with 4G data.

If you are using a phone that's not compatible with 5G speeds, it will throttle it at the highest available speed, in this case, 4G. And you should still have throttled data up to 512Kbps if you use more than 40 GB during your cycle.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you!

Christopher

@ipro31- Whoa. That's an outrageous claim. I often denounce this place for it's constant troubles. But we had this discussion a few days ago about the Quebec only plan and the footnote page. This is the same idea. The 5G plans with the superscript reference referencing the #2 footnote (endnote actually) are the plans indicated to be unlimited. The 5G plans without the superscript reference are not.
I am not supporting "the Big Bear Telus".  I'm just seeing what I see.

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

They must of updated it because I had actually already reached out to them addressing the issue in the past. The wording is still deceptive. Unclear is unclear. You can assume both ways. This kind of wording is only considered reasonable and fair in Canada. In US, all respondents would be supporting each other not the big Bear Telus. That's the problem we face as a country. 

People don't think about people here.

See my post further up this thread. There is no reference to article 2 in the plan details for the $50 plan. Whereas the plans with unlimited data do have article 2 referenced. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Unlimited-Data-is-this-on-all-5G-plans/m-...

ipro31

@Priority 

Article 2 mentions unlimited data. Article 2 can be read on T&C for every single plan. That's the problem with the wording. The wording on T&C is same for every plan and Article 2 has same wording as well. No difference. I spoke to few family friends about this and they agreed deceptive wording was used in their advertising no doubt. A mayor even got confused on here. Unless by now they fixed this because I told them.

I'm not in the business of convincing people how to perceive PM wording. My opinion is my opinion. You will find I'm not the only customer who got fooled there for a minute. That's what's not right.

Red coats can believe what they wanna believe. That's why they have England and rest of common wealth. Stay out of blue territory and we won't have an issue. 🙂 This kind of wording I'm using seems like the only way to knock on the head and say *Hello* do you get it? 😂😂😆

Not sure what else to say at this point about the big bear in the room. It's Telus!!!! LOL

No offense, but if you read the fine print it's very clear. The only reason you seem to think it might be unlimited is because of an *assumption* and a misinterpreted statement a rep made in the past. The plan description states a data limit with no mention of unlimited at reduced speeds (like every other unlimited plan). And the T&C's number for the unlimited data is not listed in the plan description either. 

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile wording? What are you talking about?? Their terms are almost a completely different language, I completely get why people are confused by it. 🤣

I've been working with Public Mobile and was an Authorized Dealer from 2019-2021 so I'm quite familiar with their terms, wording and confusing way of putting things therefore nothing confuses me anymore, I guess I speak the language. 🙃

If I was on the Public Mobile Team like I so ever wished, I'd simply and make all these things easy to understand for everybody. 

ipro31

@Priority 

I do appreciate the testing you did there.

If you decide to test the 5G plan let me know by replying to this thread. I assume same result like you mentioned. It's safe to assume no unlimited data.

Priority

The 4G $50 • 40GB Plan was available to Quebec only for a short period before it was introduced to the rest of Canada, I did get this Plan and I used all the Data up on it if that helps, once it hit 40GB that was the cap when it was 4G, I can't confirm for 5G however I suspect the same thing. 

ipro31

@Priority 

It can get confusing for some people. I'm very good at reading fine print and even Public Mobile wording confused me. 

This is a first also that a carrier has plans that are mixed. Some plans have unlimited data and some do not. Freedom Mobile I guess has something similar but you always know a Big Gig Unlimited plan is unlimited.

*Public Mobile should have a sort feature just to view unlimited plans for people that want less confusion and less surprises.

Priority

I feel like if the Plan included Unlimited Data and it was forgotten as a feature on the Website Details, things like Public Mobiles marketing team would have things like this say 'Talk, Text and Unlimited Data in the US.' Included on their ads pushing this 40GB Canada-US Plan. 

SmartSelect_20230724_124429_Facebook.jpg

ipro31

@Handy1 

Great show. If only the lawyers in Canada had the same optimism about winning a case. 

Everything in Canada is flawed. 😂 

But, yeah great show!

ipro31

@Handy1 

Definitely. I just changed the plan to 5G for next renewal which is 08/21. Not too much longer now. I'm pretty sure no unlimited data *yet*. So maybe there is still hope...... Who knows. 

God Bless Freedom Mobile 🇺🇸 . Keep fighting those red coats 😂

@ipro31  Hahaha watching Saul goodmen right now 

ipro31

@Proxima 

The confusion was based on T&C not stating the obvious. That's what made it unclear. 

Now that I went through discovery I'm aware.

Better Call Saul 😂

They are generic terms, yes, but the term numbers need to match up on the plan description. Per below you'll see that term 2 doesn't apply on the $50 plan, whereas it's noted on the $45 plan. 

Screenshot_20230803-222224~2.png

Screenshot_20230803-220608.png

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don’t really see how it’s confusing. If the plan description states that it has unlimite throttling afterwards then that means it has unlimited throttle..

If the plan description doesn’t state unlimited throttle - i just assume that it doesn’t include that feature

Priority

The 'Offer Details' are the same across every single Plan, if you want to base the Plan Details off that even the $15 • 250mb Plan would have Unlimited Data.. the 'Offer Details' are just shared across every plan and are not are all true, only some details for some Plans may be true from the Textbook. 

If it was an included feature that wasn't listed as an option, I'll test it out on the 18th. I'll use up all my data to see what happens, since my Bill will be renewing anyway the next day.

@ipro31  And @Priority  sorry my bad . I did get confused and had go back and check . Now I’m going to go stick my head in sand now . It’s like the infamous 15 plan leaving out the unlimited Incoming calls 

People are confused because they are making *assumptions* based on past 5G plans that all had unlimited. It's definitely a shift, but it doesn't seem confusing to me. Unless it's listed as an option, why would I assume it is.

Now we could eventually learn that it is included and they just didn't list a feature...again! Oyy.

They definitely have a long way to go/improve with their website content. That said, the legal term 2 isn't noted on the plan description (nor is it listed), so I'm assuming it doesn't apply here, the same way term 4 for the 90 day plan terms doesn't apply.

Screenshot_20230803-220608.png

Screenshot_20230803-220623.png

ipro31

@Handy 

Hey, so here is my point @DennyCrane .

A mayor even got confused on the wording Public Mobile is using.

@Handy1  I wish what you said is true. I really wish. But, read the current plans again. See that the $45 plan states "Unlimited Data" and the Canada-US 5G plan does not state unlimited data. 

It's very deceptive. PM should make it clear on plans that dont have unlimited data. Not mentioning "Unlimited Data" is not enough to make it clear. 

Priority

@Handy1, the $50 • 40GB 5G Canada-US Plan is limited to 40GB, no Unlimited Data on that 5G Plan. Screenshot_20230804_000739_Samsung Internet.jpg

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

The wording they use is very deceptive especially when it comes to Unlimited Data. I read the entire T&C and they fail to disclose where Unlimited Data allies on what plans. They base it off of what's written on plan description for including but T&C wording states unlimited data like it's for all of their plans.

Huge problem, whoever is crafting T&C needs to make major edits. 

They should make it much more clear, if that can't be handled either offer Unlimited Data or don't offer unlimited data 😂

There is room for improvement. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@ipro31  Yes all 5G plans are unlimited data . Just change plan for next renewal so you don’t lose money on your current cycle 

Priority

Boxing Day / Black Friday, come back to this post and mark my words. We will see something better 1000%, right now this is just competition so they only want to do what's necessary.

Priority

It's a plan directly competing with Freedom Mobile.. if Freedom wasn't offering this Plan than Public would never have introduced it. 

Freedom is only offering it with limited 5G Speed Data, and so Public Mobile is doing the exact same thing to gain Activations and not lose any clientele to Freedom.

ipro31

@DennyCrane 

They can do better. 

Need Help? Let's chat.