cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send or receive calls

vikingz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just upgraded my phone to a Motorola razer phone 2 and cannot receive or make calls.  If I switch to 3g as my preference then I can make and receive calls but cannot use LTE data.  If I switch back to LTE as my preference then I cannot make or receive calls again but can use my data at LTE speeds.  I pay for LTE speeds.  Yes I have rebooted the phone numerous times.  Yes my phone is compatible and yes my sim chip works properly in another phone.  Yes my phone works properly if I put in a different carriers sim card.  I have contacted a moderator a few days ago and to be honest I am very unsatisfied with thier response.  I believe they did not understand the problem even after several back and forth emails.  Has anyone else had this issue?  What is my next step if I am unhappy with the moderators answer?

39 REPLIES 39

@vikingz wrote:

it shows as Public Mobile

@vikingz  Not sure why your phone would autoselect VoLTE then. My Pixel is also running Android Pie and automatically disables VoLTE when I connect to Public Mobile. I would imagine that your phone should work the same way. Maybe worthwhile opening up a ticket with the manufacturer and see if they have a workaround.

Good Luck.

vikingz

it shows as Public Mobile

@vikingz wrote:

I have tried a different SIM from a different carrier and it works.  I have not tried a different pm SIM.

@vikingz  Does your phone show you are connected to Public Mobile or Telus? Telus and Koodo use voice over LTE but Public Mobile does not.  Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile share the same network do maybe that's why your phone will not allow you to disable it. Try manually registering your phone on Public Mobile and hopefully it will automatically disable VoLTE 

vikingz

I have tried a different SIM from a different carrier and it works.  I have not tried a different pm SIM.

vikingz

I have used a different SIM from a different carrier and it worked.  Have not tried a different pm SIM.

@vikingz wrote:

It does not actually turn it off.

@vikingz  Can you try it using another sim?

vikingz

It does not actually turn it off.

@vikingz wrote:

Ok so none of the changes worked.  Did some more research and apparently it has something to do with voLTE.  All the new phones have it.  It cannot be turned off with going in to the root directory, something I am not willing to do.  Apparently public mobile has not upgrade to this yet even though Telus has.  The fix is for public mobile to go into their settings for my account and switch it off so that my account will stop trying to use the better technology.  Not a phone issue, carrier issue.  Thanks for all the help though people.

@vikingz  Did you try:

How to enable VOLTE on Razer Phone 2 ?
  1. Go to Settings > Call Settings (Sim and Network)
  2. Tap Cellular networks > Enable Voice over LTE On/ Off.

vikingz

Ok so none of the changes worked.  Did some more research and apparently it has something to do with voLTE.  All the new phones have it.  It cannot be turned off with going in to the root directory, something I am not willing to do.  Apparently public mobile has not upgrade to this yet even though Telus has.  The fix is for public mobile to go into their settings for my account and switch it off so that my account will stop trying to use the better technology.  Not a phone issue, carrier issue.  Thanks for all the help though people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

They upgraded their towers and infrastructure... AFAIK Telus first used CDMA when Clearnet was still in business so that's at least 20+ years ago. Even on CFO terms those out to have depreciated to nothingness.

Our very own beloved Public Mobile started out on CDMA. Then the mighty Telus swallowed them up and axed their CDMA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

skip anything with the TD prefix.. those are mainly for China.. CDMA you can skip that too because those are retired.

@GinYVR  WCDMA (the 3G standard used by GSM carriers), which are often referred to as simply CDMA, and use CDMA as an underlying channel access method. 

So riddle me this 🙂 why don't CDMA phones work here (Bellus) anymore?

WCDMA=CDMA

As you said to somebody else in an earlier thread...agree to disagree.

Still waiting to hear from the OP. That will settle things.

They upgraded their towers and infrastructure... AFAIK Telus first used CDMA when Clearnet was still in business so that's at least 20+ years ago. Even on CFO terms those out to have depreciated to nothingness.

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

skip anything with the TD prefix.. those are mainly for China.. CDMA you can skip that too because those are retired.

@GinYVR  WCDMA (the 3G standard used by GSM carriers), which are often referred to as simply CDMA, and use CDMA as an underlying channel access method. 

WCDMA=CDMA

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@geopublicNo! CDMA was for 2G.. or phones that used to have a logo Powered by Qualcomm. It has a much smaller bandwidth. WCDMA is for UMTS. yes CDMA is also a name for an algorithm is used in many telcom applications including in 4G (hence that's why Qualcomm has such a huge portfolio and is target of so many anti trusts lawsuit).. BUT in this case when something that is point in band selection as CDMA, I would take it as CDMA standard.. else it would have said UMTS/WCDMA.

@GinYVR wrote:

@vikingz  Yes, restart your phone after each change 

vikingz

I selected the one you suggested but it still shows voice as lte.  I will restart phone to see if it changes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikingz wrote:

There is approximately 25 choices

Like with the combinations you see...try to find sets with LTE/UMTS things. Not CDMA. Not TD-SCDMA. Maybe HSDPA. Maybe WCDMA.

Edit: with geopublics post that got in before I wrote what I did...my opinion would be to not choose one with CDMA. WCDMA yes. But I understand that maybe this is all getting confusing.

@vikingz wrote:

LTE/CDMA/UMTS auto (PRL)

vikingz

@vikingz wrote:

Shows voice as lte.

Data as lte.

Preferred as td-Scdma/cdma/umts

@vikingz  Thats the problem voice should be 3G. On my phone data shows LTE and voice is showing 3G. Not sure what setting is causing your voice to be LTE only.

Maybe set your mobile network manually to Public mobile and make sure your APN settings are correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikingz wrote:

Shows voice as lte.

Data as lte.

Right. So what are your drop-down choices there?

vikingz

Shows voice as lte.

Data as lte.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikingz wrote:

The phone is running Android 9.  Yes the phone should switch to 3g when making a call. It does but it does not make the call.  When someone calls me it goes straight to voicemail

Yeah I'm with GinYVR on that it's a device issue. Not that we won't want to help you solve it... just that it's not a PM issue.

@vikingz wrote:

The phone is running Android 9.  Yes the phone should switch to 3g when making a call. It does but it does not make the call.  When someone calls me it goes straight to voicemail

@vikingz  Dial #*#*4636*#*# and select Phone Information. What does it show for voice network, data network and what are the choices fir preferred network.

vikingz

@geopublic wrote:

@vikingz wrote:

In settings you can choose your prefferd network.  If you have on auto it is LTE.  I cannot make or receive calls and need to manually select 3g reboot the phone etc.  I can then make calls etc but can only use 3g data.  I pay for LTE.  If I want to use LTE I need to reselect it in settings reboot the phone.  Then I cannot make or receive calls again.

@vikingz  Hum, usually when it's on auto it should be able to switch between the two. Is that phone running Android?

Also make sure VoLTE is not enabled..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikingz 

Maybe this will lead you somewhere.

geopublic likes his 4636 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.