cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to respond to automated SMS texts (banking, credit card, etc) "Not sent. Touch to try again."

BabakR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having a persistent issue with not being able to respond to special text messages received from banking inst. which require a response. For example, Canadian Tire Bank requires a response back to confirm setting up notifications via SMS and to do that, it sends me a text asking me to reply back with AGREE (to the number sending it by way of reply 683963) but when I do, I get this error message underneath the text I send:  "Not sent. Touch to try again."

This is not isolated to Canadian Tire, I'm just using them as an example. I've also had the same problem when I wanted to opt out of SMS messages from another company (Shopper's Drugmart), sending them the code to stop the flow of texts provided the same error: "Not sent. Touch to try again."

The only way I could stop it was to block their number! This has to be something related to PM, not my phone and not the institutions because it otherwise, I am able to receive and send texts without a problem. It is only these 'automated' SMS systems with short numbers like Cdn Tire's 683963 that cause this. Again, I'm able to receive but not reply to them.

It is not related to coverage or data or any such issue, I've tried with great coverage and I have more than enough data capacity to send the SMS. It has to be something on PM's end that prevents or blocks these responses.

I'm on android (oneplus). Thank you for any assistance

31 REPLIES 31

@BabakR

I was unsure when I saw it last night and with 50 spammers online I didnt want to take any chances that the displayed IMEI # wasn't yours.....better safe than sorry!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BabakR wrote:

It was not my screenshot, it was an image from the forum posting. Sorry, didn't know there was a rule against screenshots here?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm confused as to why there was an issue re this because it did not contain any personal information but happy to abide by the rules of this forum

@BabakR   I didn't see the screenshot in question, but generally there is no rule against screenshots.  However, your screenshot may have had some information (name, account # etc) that should be kept private as this is an open public forum you're posting on.   That could be the reason why it was removed.

BabakR

It was not my screenshot, it was an image from the forum posting. Sorry, didn't know there was a rule against screenshots here?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm confused as to why there was an issue re this because it did not contain any personal information but happy to abide by the rules of this forum

@darlicious 

i've done the part removing the picrure post from the post, but as you aleady know, I can't delete it from the profile. Also, asking a CSA to remove these only works some of the time.

@computergeek541 

Can you edit out the screenshot? thx

@BabakR 

You will need to delete your screenshot from your photos in your profile.

BabakR

Yes, I'm aware of that menu and the options. I was referring to the more technical setting which is 'hidden' and much more powerful, please refer to this and you'll see a screenshot (at the oneplus forums) as well for that menu.

Thank you

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Unable-to-respond-to-automated-SMS...

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/set-preferred-network-type.1241522/

@BabakR 

You may occasionally get a message saying "charges may apply do you want to send this text?" Since there is no extra billing at pm you can safely send the text. If it does not send you know you know that it didn't send because the service cannot bill you. The same goes for the calling message " long distance charges may apply".

Now if I can only find my default setting for my network type and change it back from WCDMA (just in case).

1. From the Home screen, swipe up, then tap Settings.
  2. Tap Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network > Preferred network type.
  3. Select from the following:
    • 2G/3G/LTE (Automatic)
    • 2G/3G (Automatic)
    • 3G/LTE
    • 2G only

Do you see these menu settings above?

Select the "2G/3G/LTE (Automatic)" setting unless you are having calling/network issues, then temporarily go to 3G/LTE.

BabakR

Thank you!

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

That did it. (although my phone is a 7 pro and not an 8 the menu options were exactly the same)

Now if I can only find my default setting for my network type and change it back from WCDMA (just in case).

@BabakR 

Try this.....

If you're having issues sending text messages to short codes, view this info to see how to check permission settings on your OnePlus 8 5G UW.

• Steps only apply if you've previously used a messaging app to send a text to a premium content provider or short code.
  • Short codes are typically 5 or 6 digit numbers commonly used when participating in contests, making donations, etc.

• From a Home screen, swipe up to access the apps screen.
  • Navigate: 
    Settings

> 

Apps & notifications 
  • Tap 
    Special app access 
  • Tap 
    Premium SMS access 
  • Tap the app then select an option:

Apps listed vary and only appear if they've previously been used for premium messaging.

• Ask
  •  
  • Never allow
  •  
  • Always allow
  •  

Otherwise report your issue here to see if you get an answer....

https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback

@BabakR 

Texts work on both the LTE and 3G networks. Go back go your automatic setting.

I can both send and recieve on both of those short codes. I highly doubt this is a pm issue but more likely rooted in your device. What model do you have?

@HALIMACS wrote:

@dabr @softech 

Yes I know SMS does not require mobile data, I just thought perhaps the short code text perhaps required use of MMS.

@HALIMACS    Only if you need to click a link in the shortcode that takes you to a webpage, but otherwise it's just a SMS being received AFAIA.

@dabr @softech 

Yes I know SMS does not require mobile data, I just thought perhaps the short code text perhaps required use of MMS.

It may not- just throwing it out there.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hi @BabakR 

Is your mobile data enabled?

Could be needing to send it via MMS.

SMS don't need data enabled.

@HALIMACS  shortcode is just sms , isn't it?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@BabakR 

Have you tried swapping your SIM with one in another working phone?

If your SIM works and messaging issues are solved, that would point to your phone settings as the problem. 

Have you done a reset network settings? Maybe Factory reset as last resort..

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BabakR 

Is your mobile data enabled?

Could be needing to send it via MMS.

@softech wrote:

@dabr  so, you can receive and reply both Cantire Bank and SDM shortcodes?

if that is the case @BabakR  might want to clear cache or your messaging app and try a different messaging app to receive and send SMS (like Google Message)

@softech   Yes I can receive and respond back and consent (AGREE) is required upon the first shortcode SMS text received from both these and other shortcodes. 

@dabr  so, you can receive and reply both Cantire Bank and SDM shortcodes?

if that is the case @BabakR  might want to clear cache or your messaging app and try a different messaging app to receive and send SMS (like Google Message)

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BabakR    Just to add to what's been mentioned, I don't know why you're having this issue but both Canadian Tire and SDM shortcode may not be on PM's shortcode list, but I'll confirm that I've never had any issues receiving SMS from both and, of course, responding with AGREE for the initial request.  

Hopefully, customer support will be able to sort it out for you.  Good luck.

What the choices you have?

generally preferred network type for PM would be LTE/3G  

BabakR

After dialing *#*#4636#*#* there is a special screen with lots of options, one of them is the network type, shown in this screenshot by way of example (towards middle bottom of screen, above "mobile radio power" toggle)

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/set-preferred-network-type.1241522/

I'm asking what the default setting would be for my phone/PM or Canadian providers

@BabakR wrote:

Thanks, any idea what the default setting for network type is for oneplus 7 pro?

What default network type you meant? APN? 

I would say note down the APN setting you have now on your phone before you network reset

this is the general settings : 

Set up data on an Android phone (publicmobile.ca)

BabakR

Thanks, any idea what the default setting for network type is for oneplus 7 pro? I'd like to know to reset it, just in case. I hesitated to change it but thought it would help, now I'm concerned I may bork other things so I'd prefer to reset it to what it was, unfortunately I didn't carefully note what the network type was before changing it.

TBH I don't really use shortcodes all that much or rely on them so I can't say I have had any success. I've only used it when necessary and it has been giving me the same "Not sent. Touch to try again." error.

Hopefully they will respond to the ticket and resolve it on the network side.

@BabakR  FYI, people was able to ask Telus/PM to add shortcode to the allowed list on the system. But don't expect this to be a quick turnaround.  

@BabakR wrote:

after dialing *#*#4636#*#*  I set network type to WCDMA only

problem persists

yes, shortcode is something setup/enable  on the network level, hence I really doubt a 3G Only setting on the device side will make it work 🙂

and yes,  SDM  736898 not on the list either 

But just to confirm, you do able to reply to some shortcode, right? or not at all?  

Other than SDM and Cantire bank, where else you CANNOT reply? any any example that you CAN reply?

BabakR

Thank you, I've never done this (open a ticket) but will try.

the SDM number IIRC is 736898

BabakR

after dialing *#*#4636#*#*  I set network type to WCDMA only

problem persists

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BabakR   this might not be an up-to-date list, but this was the shortcode list they complied back then:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

683963 is not part of the list

and what is the SDM short #?

For this issue, I don't think it's an issue on your device level (hence suggestion to reboot, 3G only would probably not work 🙂 )

I suggest you to gather the list that you know that is not working and open a ticket with PM and get an official answer for that

To open ticket with PM:

Spoiler

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Need Help? Let's chat.