cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to customize phone number

hien123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As I know, when activating a new SIM Card, Public Mobile offers an option to customize the last 4 digits of a new phone number. But when I tried, It only showed a list and I had to choose a phone number within the list provided. I could find any option to customize. Please help me to figure this out. Thank you

20 REPLIES 20

@djbangkok- This place is ridiculously bad at keeping up their messaging with what their systems or policies do or don't do or what has changed. Indeed the Get Help pages do mention customizing. But you can at least refresh through a selection of numbers. Same as change number.

Hi @djbangkok

they do offer 647 to pick even after you joined.  I guess those numbers are rare now (with any providers) , so if they are available,  they will be gone quick 

Yes, mobile providers are all greedy, Telus is not the only one.  Rogers and Bell and Freedom are all as greedy as Telus.  🙂

djbangkok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Everyone having this problem please read this here. There is no option to customize a phone number on activation at public mobile anymore. That was an option before they change it. They still advertise that they have it and Sam Chatbox will confirm they have it but they dont. Most of their moderators don’t know that they don’t have that option anymore. So when you are getting a phone number make sure you like it let’s say you are from Toronto and you pick 647 on activation then pick number offered to you and keep it because if you want to change it in self serve you will be getting option of 437 area code only. Only proper number pick options are in new activations for new customers and existing customers are offered poor numbers. Understand that this is owned by telus one of the most greediest company in Canada and existing customers are not important only new ones. Moderators here are people working from home and only difference between you and them is they can push a failed payment for you nothing else as they have Same access to self serve like you do. Overall poor service for your dollar. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

You right....DDR is no weasel that's for sure!😉

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious wrote:

Would it be your preference that I create a new community account using my referral code as a user name to flaunt in the face of the community's terms of service

Nah, who would have done such a nasty thing..   Using a referral code as username is clearly a violation of the terms of service.  Cos in effect, he is POSTING his referral code every single post

@darlicious wrote:

and direct customers to contact customer support for every single issue

Nah, who would be such irresponsible and heartless.    We are all very good here.  I don't believe any great community member here will just reply "suggest you send a private message to CS_Agent" .   We will all try to find out more from the OP, find the root cause and suggest workarounds.  We all understand opening ticket with Chatbot is better and faster than direct message.   We all try to keep CS Agent work load to a minimum.

So, WHO?  

@darlicious come on now would DDR ever tell you to do something like that?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hien123 

Please check your private message box for a reply from a CSA in response to your request.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I never heard of that option or it might existed before number of subscribers overwhelmed mobile providers.

But currently you can only pick area code/number offered by PM. You can chose one number just to start service and then if you do not like number very much try to change it. You can change it 4x a month and new available numbers might appear daily.

Tahiti
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hien123I feel your pain!!  One of my accounts, I managed to get the last 4 digits I preferred, not our 2nd account.  It was only available when we select # the 1st time, not after.

@darliciousmentioned that this option was removed when PM updated its activation portal.  Your options:

1) private message PM CS_Agent as suggested by other members here, or

2) get a number u want from other mobile suppliers or VOIP provider, then port your preferred # to PM.  This will cost a bit of $.

Best of luck!

@Anonymous wrote:

That option has gone. But you can refresh for more numbers.

Sadly, fashionable software devs somehow think that people can only handle drop-downs with a handful of choices in tiny locked UI boxes. Bad style. Bad practice. And bad business decision in a world where other places don't impose frustrating arbitrary limitations on their customers.

Squint and refresh puny little offerings of only-allowed-to-see-three-lines-at-a-time choices. On a huge, mostly empty desktop/monitor which could easily dump twenty or fifty or a hundred options at a time. Yay.

It's almost forgivable on mobile-friendly sites intended primarily for mobile users who have puny display screens.

But ironic because (in my experience) Public Mobile is not at all a mobile-friendly site.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

Well you have a certain obligation to toe the company line. I do not. I am simply offering a method if the customer so chooses like I choose to contact customer support via private message. I hate Simple--Simon I have only used him half a dozen times when troubleshooting my private mailbox issues with a CSA. Some customers if forced to use Simply--Stupid--Simon would rather just port their way outta here. You will never win this argument with me.

Would it be your preference that I create a new community account using my referral code as a user name to flaunt in the face of the community's terms of service and direct customers to contact customer support for every single issue as long as I directed them to use Simple--Simon and only Simple--Simon? Would that be a better use of my time and effort that I put into the community?

@darlicious mine says how to create a trouble ticket for the member's problem, like how PM wants issues to be handled.  Not how to get around the system.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I guess whatever we suggested could be wrong.. but having CS_Agent to help could never be wrong.  LoL

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

As does yours but how to do it and telling customers to do it are two totally different things.

@darlicious but your "signature" tell people how to do it on every post you make?lol

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@0PX9O4 

Wow you just continue to suggest customers contact customer support for everything and anything. Do you not understand the concept and purpose of the community support model is to avoid sending a customer to customer support unless absolutely necessary? Or is your entire goal to be first past the post with best chance at a high solution count? You are definitely achieving that goal whether or not your post being chosen as the solution is correct or not or possibly detrimental to the OP.

Sorry....about my big mouth and all but someone has to say it!😃

Of course if you have a problem with that you can always contact customer support.  /s

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hien123 

Sorry but when pm updated the activation portal they removed this option. Your only option now is to continue to refresh the phone number choices offered in the change number feature in your self serve account.

Activate with any temporary you choose. Then once set up access your self serve account to search for a number that suits your needs. You can change your phone number up to 4 times in 30 days. You can research more on your desired phone number on this site :

https://www.npanxxsource.com/local-calling-areas-lookup.htm

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@hien123   You might want to refresh the list and hope to get one you like.  Keep switching between the couple cities in your area and see what numbers they offer you

You can also first activate and then request Change number after.  you can do it as often as 4 times a month.

It is also true that you can try to ask PM Support to find you the number but we are not 100% sure they will assist or they can really find a number you want. 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hien123 

The list can be somewhat limited in some areas, unfortunately. You can try reaching out to a PM agent to see if they can help with this - they may have more of a selection of numbers available to them.

To contact an agent, just send a private message to CS_Agent with your account details (full name, phone and account numbers, email address, and the 4-digit PIN (f you have it).

Anonymous
Not applicable

That option has gone. But you can refresh for more numbers.

Need Help? Let's chat.