cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA plan did not work in USA

Arbutus47
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bought USA, 180$, 3 month subscription. Lucky if I saw more than 1 bar on my phone. iphone7. Every call dropped out after max 5 mins. Google maps often wouldn’t work. Did I mention I was travelling?! Had serious credit card problem that took days to correct bz of phones constant dropouts. No way to complain bz all on line, I was travelling without internet and my phone didn’t work! I returned to Canada, subscription auto renewed. I didn’t realize this wd happen so submitted ticket to gain full refund and change plan to Canada plan on monthly cycle. PM changed plan but kept the 180$. They refuse to refund my money. So I’m stuck with PM till it’s spent! CURSE!!! They offer excellent plans to new customers so I can’t get any of those, they won’t give me my money so I can go to other provider and get a way better plan, so I’m stuck with PM till money is used. Then I’m gone and will “NEVER” use PM again. 
Update. PM offered to refund remaining funds. I’m taking it then leaving PM. All this is a PITA!

11 REPLIES 11

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Unless you managed to find a 2G T-Mobile connection, voice calls shouldn't have worked at all (forget 5 minutes) because the iPhone 7 is not on Public Mobile's VoLTE whitelist.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

For text and data, as long as you had data roaming turned on (on your phone) and you were connected to either T-Mobile or AT&T, it should have worked. And make sure it's set to 4G/LTE and not 3G.

Arbutus47

I understand. Thank you. 

@Arbutus47 wrote:

No idea what “volte” means. Yes, I enabled “roaming”. 

In the US, they've retired all their 3G technology used for voice calls. For optimum talk-abilty in US with the PM add-on, you need a phone that's VOLTE enabled...your iPhone 7 is too old.  So your calls drop to old school 2G and only work on T-Mobile network.  If you wanna have talk in US again, you need to upgrade to a newer iPhone. iPhone 8 or better

PM isn't really all that bad...you just gotta pay attention to your plan requirements. It's no worser or better than any of the other 3rd tier providers.

Arbutus47

I’m home in Canada now. Next time I travel I’ll buy a plan from the country I’m in. Atleast I’ll be able to stop into a store and complain to a real person. 

Arbutus47

Yes I enabled LTE aka volte. 

@Arbutus47 wrote:

hi @Arbutus47 

VoLTE is Voice over LTE.  Generally, you need a newer phone to get better voice using this new technology

But you have been receiving calls, so, try the different network mode and check if the data will work better

Arbutus47

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Arbutus47 - Tell T-Mobile or AT&T about the service issue while roaming in the States.

Arbutus47

I did exactly that. No better. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Arbutus47 

your voice calls are working but just dropped after a while, google map should work as it uses data

which provider you current connected to?  Do not leave it in Automatic.  Manually choose AT&T and T-Mobile and try them both , stay on the one that works better or change it and try again whenever the connection is bad again

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Arbutus47 

your iPhone doesn't have volte enabled so the talk experience in US would be less than awful. Also, you need to make certain to enabled Roaming Data in cellphone settings to use the data in US.

Need Help? Let's chat.