cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Roaming

Pini
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I'm going USA and I would like to do addons $30 . Is it worth it ? Data would work for us? And if we will not get data then? 

Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5

garmei
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not worth , I was payed $30 US roaming add-on on Monday, when I arrived to New York on Wednesday,  data and text message is work ,but slow ,outgoing call and incoming call not working.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I would advise leaving your network selection on automatic mode, and if that doesn't work connect manually to T-Mobile. I know some are excited about what appears to be AT&T coming back online for roaming, but my experience from Sunday this week was that data did not work. Unless you're in a no coverage zone for T-Mobile (e.g. Alaska), I would just leave it on T-Mobile for optimal service.

$30 is a great deal for 3GB and unlimited calling and text. As mentioned, if you make frequent trips south you may want to consider a Canada/US plan, but for odd trips the add-on provided great value.

Text and data should work without issue. Phone calls require VoLTE. To check if you're setup for VoLTE do this test at home:

-Temporarily turn wifi off

-Ensure your phone is connected to the 4G/LTE network or the 5G network

-Make a phone call and watch if you stay connected to 4G/LTE or 5G. If yes, to have VoLTE. If it drops to 3G you might have a problem.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

For talk:
VoLTE enabled phone - T-Mobile and AT&T. To be more sure set phone to 4G LTE.
Not volte enabled phone - only T-Mobile and on their 2G GSM system. The phone has to be able to either drop down automatically or you have to set it manually.

Text and data will work fine on either.
Text and talk work on 2G GSM. Then for data you need to go back to LTE.

We have reports that 5G works for data.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Pini 

if you are planning to do more than one trip in the next 30 days, you can change to the Canada-US plan, they starts at $50

But if one trip, then yes, get the Combo for roaming (data/text/voice).  it works ok.  you can now connect to T-Mobile and AT&T when you are there. And buy the roaming closer to the trip as they start counting right from the time of purchase

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Pini 

data and text should work just fine. Talk is the tricky part. If you have a volte enabled phone, you'll have no problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.