cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Roaming not Working on new $50/month plan

Sureshot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I decided to purchase the new $50 plan that includes United States and Canada data. I am currently in Montana and the data is working but I am UNABLE to send or receive calls or use voicemail. Customer service tells me to turn on VOLTE, but when I try to do this on my iPhone 11, that option is not available it only gives me an option for 3G or LTE, neither of which seem to work for calls. (Yes I have the most recent software update). However three months ago they did work for calls. So I’m confused I’ve paid for this new plan that’s supposed to solve all this , yet all I can use is the data.

Has anyone experienced this?. I’ve been a customer for three years now, I did notice some discussion about the February 22, 2023 deadline, that new activations would have VOLTE after that, but what prior , longer term customers?

So far private customer service discussions haven’t solved anything.

At this point I’m not sure the $50 plan is worth it.

Attached are screenshots of my plan and what I see on the screen when I try to find the VOLTE option.

Any help is appreciated.

FCDF980B-8752-4B92-BAE1-6EC27A2FFA37.png

091A1745-C2BF-40CA-99D4-08871CE87F51.png

19B79261-402F-4F21-A607-BEDA28F59394.png

D83E5609-75C8-47DD-AAF1-A9CED44CD6CA.png

CEBE12FA-7469-4187-9EB7-D6DC4E241A6F.jpeg

23 REPLIES 23

@Sureshot  We happy to hear it worked for you . Now you can finally enjoy the rest of your vacation 🙂

Sureshot

I appreciate all the input along the way. I must say that this company does a poor job of customer service, compared to being able to call someone and just troubleshoot. To tie this problem in a knot, the reset, “network reset” ultimately worked, but it took several times for some reason. So I can confirm that the problem is now solved, and that the iPhone 11 Pro is compatible with VOLTE, if someone else encounters this problem keep trying Resetting the network.

HI @Sureshot 

the VoLTE toggle is hidden by Telus and PM, it's normal

you tried connected to AT&T as well?

@Sureshot  Have you tried resetting network settings . Try that out and see if it helps any 

Sureshot

The phone is completely up-to-date, the only two options to show up or as per in my original post LTE, and 3G, that’s it that’s all and neither one works with voice dialing.

Sureshot

According to the list anything iPhone 8 and upwards is compatible with their system. This is an iPhone 11 Pro, why would I expect it not to work with VOLTE?

@Dunkman- Exactly correct. Your previous statement was the false one (obviously from their standpoint, not yours, you're just repeating their standpoint).

@dust2dust 

@dust2dust wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

According to Public mobile, all customers have been switched to VoLTE services. 

@Dunkman- This is completely straight up false. I am a customer three times using two devices. One has been enabled for volte. The other they refuse to enable it even though it can do volte from other providers.

Public mobile has switch all customers to VoLTE if they have VoLTE compatible phones approved by Public mobile. Unfortunately, not all VoLTE compatible phones can be used with Public mobile.  Hopefully Public mobile/Telus will continue add more phones to the approved list.  

OP iOS is up to date from screen shot they provided  and I think oracle was taking about iPhone only for not showing option for voLTE . And said according to PM voLTE been enabled . Not that it was set in stone and absolute. 

@Dunkman wrote:

According to Public mobile, all customers have been switched to VoLTE services. 

@Dunkman- This is completely straight up false. I am a customer three times using two devices. One has been enabled for volte. The other they refuse to enable it even though it can do volte from other providers.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sureshot 

iPhone 11 is VoLTE compatable.  If VoLTE is available, iPhone will automatically detect and use.  According to Public mobile, all customers have been switched to VoLTE services.  No option to choose VoLTE on iphone.  

While dialing out, try add:           +1 (area code) phone number. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/volte

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Have you done all the phone OS updates? Are you able to do real sms texting? Not seeing the 2G GSM option in that list is part of the problem with some phones. When you select LTE does something about volte show up?
Your phone should be able to do volte. But if not then only T-Mobile has the old 2G GSM and you need to be able to switch to it.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

For some reason iPhones on PM don't show VoLTE as an option in the settings even though it is available.  The way to find out normally is to make a phone call with data on but wifi off and see if the phone drops to 3G.  If it doesn't then VoLTE is working.   My phone must have had VoLTE switched on at some point since they introduced it because it doesn't drop to 3G during calls.  Having said that, if your voice calls are not working you don't have a way to test it while you're in the US, that I know of any way.  

Didn't someone say they thought AT & T was now also working for PM customers visiting the States?

Sureshot

Well maybe later, but I’m actually here for a vacation not to run around testing my phone. It’s irritating that a service you pay for it doesn’t work.

@Sureshot  Could be a local network issue right now . Can you test in a different area maybe 

Sureshot

This is an area we come to a couple times a year, that’s the thing Tmobile has worked here in the past for calls on public mobile via LTE so I’m not sure what’s different this time.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Sureshot -is it possible the place you are in Montana doesn't have good calling services there? Check the coverage map: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

Does texting work in/out?

@Sureshot  You can ask support to enable it for you if it’s not already enabled . Some have had success while others haven’t . But here’s the link to find out 

private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Sureshot

Yeah regardless of the carrier that I connect to, there still is no be VoLTE option, and calls still don’t work.

What’s the technical deal with VOLTE is it something that public mobile has to activate on your behalf, some magic switch that needs to be thrown? It’s certainly not working here

@Sureshot  You can also try connecting to AT&T some users have  recently reported it works also now again .

Sureshot

Thank you I’ve reset it several times with no affect. It’s connected to T mobile for data though, it’s just the voice dialing in and out that isn’t working. Still no VOLTE option.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Sureshot try performing a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Iphone: To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode. Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Sureshot  reboot the phone and make sure you’re connected  to T Mobile . And test in different areas 

Need Help? Let's chat.