cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US talk, text, data

Dhubich
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I am going to be in the US for 40 days can I purchase 4 10 day add on at one to carry me for the whole 40 days or do I have to purchase every 10 days?

18 REPLIES 18

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

From someone whose province is a dumpster fire right now, please be careful!! Travel just sounds like disaster waiting to happen right now... 

@HALIMACS 

Yes this is wishlist worthy......and will stay there for a long while. Please understand that I know a moderator has set themselves a reminder and added a new roaming add on in the middle of the night back to back but its not something they are obligated to do or practical on even a small scale just possible if a moderator wishes to go the extra mile on a YMMV basis because its in their nature to really help serve a pm customer. But obviously with only one out of two moderators overnight that does on occasion perform direct customer service duties its not something a customer should expect to happen.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : My apologies. My interpretation of your posts was not you suggesting things. Sure, suggest away. 🙂

@Anonymous 

Wholly agree it's not something a user can do, but for trips of 10-day multiple durations, it should be stackable in a way that it is seamless for the user.

It would seem to me Public Mobile would want to offer that option as it guarantees them multiple consecutive add-ons in advance. 

Perhaps this should be added to the wishlist that someone had created some time ago...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : Depends on what your definition of "it" is. 🙂 I have no recollection (certainly not saying that's bulletproof) of the mods adding talk or text add-ons while one is still going. I have read of them re-adding one after the 10 - 24 hour periods.

I don't think it's technically possible to stack talk or text add-ons while going. I think this is due to roaming agreements and then the unlimited nature of each. Why stack them?

The system is not made to allow sequential operation. They each need to be manually purchased every 10 days.

The exception is data roaming where we _can_ buy say the 1gb and then before that runs out the 500mb etc. But not the same 1gb and 1gb. I think it's because it's a limited, counted feature

The problem for the customer is the re-buying time delay bug. Ask the moderators or wait.

@darlicious 

So it can be done,  then.

It just becomes a matter whether Public Mobile values their customers enough to do so in a situation as this. 

Cool!!!

@HALIMACS 

I should clarify....I believe a moderator (someone like Andu) can take it upon themselves to help out a customer and add the add ons from funds in the customers accounts as a favour so they can have almost seamless roaming service but its not something that can be set up ahead time. And its only done as a courtesy for the customer.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

The place just doesn't work this way. Talk and text are only sequential. After 10 - 24 hour periods is the only moment in time to bother the moderators. Or wait overnight. Maybe overnight the next night. Regulars here are still waiting for fellow customers to prove out the real time frame.

For the longest time, there was a bug where, upon returning to Canada, domestic texting didn't work for something like 24 hours. But they fixed that.

@Dhubich

I would recommend to go ahead can contact the moderators to see if they can stack US roaming add-ons for consecutive 10-day periods - it's worth a shot.  Public Mobile really should offer this option when customers are going for longer periods of time.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator, then select contact us, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@HALIMACS 

I only think moderators can arrange to add consecutive roaming add ons as soon as they expire rather than the customer having to wait until after midnight eastern ( we believe maybe the OP can test and confirm?) to purchase the new roaming add on.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich 

I'm unsure, however I believe (only) the Moderators may be able to add multiple roaming add ons for subsequent 10-day periods.

@darlicious thanks that is correct

@gpixel 

Only the pm sim would have to remain in Canada not the phone itself once call forwarding is enabled.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich if you're staying for that long then I suggest purchasing a textnow sim for $10 and you will have free calls/text in the USA.

for more details go to

textnow.com 

create a textnow account and choose a number. once you have a number you can forward your pm phone to your text now account. the phone must remain in Canada, but you can turn it off. 

the reason for leaving the phone in Canada is because if the pm sim tries to connect to an American provider you will lose that call forwarding ability. and you won't be able to enable that feature again while in America.

if you decide to just purchase roaming add-ons. then I would purchase the $10 bundle and when that runs out just pay the $1 more and purchase the seperate talk and text add-ons. this method will avoid headaches(hopefully) with waiting 24hrs to repurchase the $10 add-on.

@Dhubich 

BTW....do not purchase 2 different US roaming add ons that both contain a talk feature or they will cancel each other out and your calling will not work properly. You can load enough funds in your balance for all of your roaming add ons and then you just have to select and submit your purchase each time.

You can still recieve incoming texts without any roaming add ons. You may want to download the textnow app for free texting while on wifi and the fongo app for free calling ( works on both wifi and mobile data.) These can carry you over while waiting out the purchase period between add on expiry.

@Dhubich  For that length of time, your still better off getting a local sim card. It'll probably be cheaper and more convenient. Just saying.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Dhubich 

One at a time after midnight eastern ( not confirmed yet)when each previous add on expires. US roaming add ons start immediately after purchase on a 24 hour clock so they expire 240 hours after purchase.

Edit: ninja'd by @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dhubich : Every 10 - 24 hour periods. Re-buying might even have to wait until after midnight ET of that last day. Maybe even another 24 hours after that. But we haven't heard much from roaming add-on people for a while.

Edit: The exception is data. You buy a bucket of data, you use it up before 10 days are up. You can buy a differently named bucket of data and it will work. But not the same named one. Talk or text are unlimited so you can't. You could stack up all the named data buckets if you like too.

Need Help? Let's chat.