cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

Hey community I know that US roaming can be a hit or miss affair these days , but a friend of mine just called to ask me if roaming works  well in Nashville as he’s going there for 10days and if it’s worth getting or just use wifi where it’s available to text back home …I know I’ve read and heard that Washington state has poor performance for roaming . So mainly like to know if Nashville should he expect good roaming or is it still gonna be a hit or miss service also … and has anyone had  good or bad experience with roaming in Nashville 

17 REPLIES 17

@Handy1 

open ticket with support and ask them to confirm if VoLTE is enabled on the account

From what I understand as long as the phone is VoLTE compatible on T-Mobile , it's good even it might not be VoLTE compatible with PM here in Canada

Can the phone choose 2G/GSM? I would say good luck with them enabling volte though.

@Handy1 

the iPhone 8 is volte ready...ask the CSA to please enable it as you're planning a trip to US and want to be able to use the PM Roaming add-ons.

When making a phone call, watch to see if the phone drops to 3G to make the call. If it stays on LTE, you're set.

@hairbag1  After checking LTE was already enabled but no option for VOLTE so next step would be submit ticket and request they turn on for him or does that mean the iPhone 8 does not support VOLTE ?

@dust2dust 

@dust2dust wrote:

@Handy1 wrote:

@hairbag1  Oh wow ok , well that’s surprising they won’t turn if for you if the phone is capable ( scratches head ) lol 

Me neither. They are being terribly selective with a whitelist. My phone can do volte on another provider. Exactly zero technical reason why they won't allow it.

I've used the iphone SE whilst in Mexico on the TelCel network...volte worked just fine without having to be turned on by the provider...it just worked !!

@hairbag1  Ok great will try that first and report back , y’all 😉

@hTideGnow  That’s along the lines of hey I said to him just get  it and cross your fingers and if it don’t work request refund 

@Handy1 wrote:

@hairbag1  Oh wow ok , well that’s surprising they won’t turn if for you if the phone is capable ( scratches head ) lol 

Me neither. They are being terribly selective with a whitelist. My phone can do volte on another provider. Exactly zero technical reason why they won't allow it.

@Handy1 

tell him to open Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Options / Voice & Data...then make sure LTE is enabled. Then look to see if he can select volte.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Handy1   I had a quick search and no one  talked about Nashville.

But according to T-Mobile's coverage map, it should have strong coverage on LTE and even 2G.  So, test it out first and ask for refund if it does not work

I'll let Apple people answer that. As always, we don't always need to run off and ask support for everything. And we also know they can be dead wrong about things. There should be a volte toggle somewhere. If present then volte is enabled. Or something like that. I can never keep it straight.

@hairbag1  I did mention to him that it has to be connected to T mobile , volte we need to look into it’s a iPhone 8   And thanks for the quick replies gang 

@Handy1 

your bud can request that volte be enabled on the PM side of things. (They could refuse as they have with me. They won't turn it on, on my iPhone SE (2016)

@dust2dust  He has iPhone 8 I believe and he’s been a public mobile user since Jan 2023 this year , not sure if volte is enabled or not on his account … so that’s somthing he would need to submit a ticket to have support check for him or should we be able to find that out in his device settings to know if it is infact enabled already 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Handy1 

does the friend have a volte enabled cell phone ? If so, it should work fine.

If not...it's worth a try anyhow. Just tell him the hints...use T-Mobile only.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Does he have volte enabled yet? Can his phone manually drop down to 2G?

Other than that, a city centre like Nashville should be alright. But as you're asking for specific experience, I defer.

All providers have their coverage issues of course. The only real hit or miss part is talk.

He could also use a voip app.

Need Help? Let's chat.