cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

Quin_S
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I purchased an unlimited roaming US plan. However I am not able to make calls. I have tried the suggestions that the bot gave (restarting phone on, toggling airplane mode)

10 REPLIES 10

Quin_S

I followed your instructions...VOLTe is turned on...

Set that network to LTE and try calling.
Also, to try to verify whether you have volte enabled, dial *#*#4636#*#* and look down in some grey area for volte provisioned. Is it toggled on?

Quin_S

When I connect to T Mobile on 5g,i can send and receive texts. But when I try to make a call, it just says "calling..." for 30 seconds, no dial tone, and then gives me a pop-up saying 'mobile network not available "

Perfect! I had that phone as well and it worked on PM's VoLTE network without issue, so roaming should also be fine.

Just make sure that you're on T-Mobile and your preferred network type is set to either 5G or 4G (not 3G).

Is data and text working? What happens when you try to make a call? And where are you?

Quin_S

Oh sorry I'm using a Google pixel 5a

Okay so you purchased the $30 15 day US add-on with unlimited calling and SMS, as well as 3GB of data. That's good.

VoLTE is being able to make phone calls on the LTE network. Up until February PM didn't offer this, and instead when you were connected to LTE it would actually drop to 3G when you made a phone call. This was problematic in the US because they no longer have a 3G network, hence you wouldn't be able to make calls (text and data are fine).

Most PM accounts should now be updated to VoLTE, but if your phone isn't compatible you might be running into issues. That's why I asked what phone you're using. 

Quin_S

I don't know, is VoLTE different than LTE? How would I set it up?

The add-on I purchased said I would be getting 3 gigabytes of data, and unlimited talk and text in the US for 15 days (it has been 3 days since I made that purchase)

Quin_S

So I have selected T Mobile as my chosen network. I only have options for LTE, 5g, and 3g as preferred network types, and only T Mobile on 5g allows me to send and receive texts. The add-on I purchased said I would be getting 3 gigabytes of data, and unlimited talk and text in the US for 15 days (it has been 3 days since I made that purchase)

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

What specific plan or add-on did you purchase? What phone are you using, and are you aware if it's setup for VoLTE on PM's network? And where in the US are you?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Quin_S 

do you have roaming talk and text or with data as well?

make sure your phone is connected to AT&T or T-Mobile.  use manual network selection.  Leave network type to Automatic, worst case, try connect T-Mobile and then network type 2G (if AT&T , network has to be automatic or 4G)

Need Help? Let's chat.