cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US plan - calling doesn't work

Irenegel1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, my brother switched to a Canada -US plan. He is currently in the States, and is unable to make or receive calls. Texting and data both work fine. (I-phone SE) Any suggestions how to fix this?

7 REPLIES 7

Shawnce

I had to both switch to T-Mobile and 2G only and then it worked.  Thanks all for your help.

Irenegel1

Thanks all for the help. He changed some settings and set it to 2G and managed to get everything working.😊

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Irenegel1 

which SE does he have ? Older SE (2016) doesn't have volte enabled by PM. To make calls, he'd need to use the 2G in US.

CPatel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

And also remember, US operators shutdown 3G network. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Irenegel1 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Irenegel1 

can you confirm what network is is connected to?  AT&T or T-Mobile? try both , and make sure Roaming data is enabled on the phone

CPatel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I used same plan since last couple months. They have to switch / manually select T-Mobile network for connectivity in USA, instead of auto select network option.

Need Help? Let's chat.