cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Talk and Text Add On

Geno
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased the US Talk and Text Add On.  I can't text unless I am connected to WiFi.  What am I doing wrong?  I have an iPhone.  I have confirmed that the Add On is on my account.

Thanks for your help.

11 REPLIES 11

@Geno wrote:

Thanks.  I have shut off iMessage and hopefully that will solve the problem.

As well don't expect to be able to send an MMS unless you are connected through Wifi as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Geno

Thanks.  I have shut off iMessage and hopefully that will solve the problem.

@Geno wrote:

I am in the US now.  Do I need to be enable roaming even if I didn't get the Data Add On?

No, you don't need to enable data roaming.  As mentioned earlier, iMessage requires an internet connection. Since you don't have a data package to use in the U.S., it is failing. You need to enable the standard SMS feature set and indicated earlier.  As for the data roaming setting, this will not help you one bit as turning this on or off won't do a thing since you don't have data to use there.  Unless your phone calls are not working, there's no need to play around with any network settings. If you weren't connected, the voice service wouldn't be working either.

@Geno wrote:

Do I need to have my roaming turned on?  I didn't purchase any Data.  Only Talk and Text.

Turn roaming on doesn't cost you anything. If you didn't buy the data roaming, then data won't work at all. If you only got talk / text...that's all that will work.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Geno wrote:

I purchased the US Talk and Text Add On.  I can't text unless I am connected to WiFi.  What am I doing wrong?  I have an iPhone.  I have confirmed that the Add On is on my account.

Thanks for your help.

iMessage needs data or wifi to send and receive text messages. While text message is using  the cellular voice channel to transfer text messages.  IN another word, text message is piggyback on the cellular voice channel.

Configure your iPhone iMessage to send SMS instead of using iMessage.

Geno

Do I need to have my roaming turned on?  I didn't purchase any Data.  Only Talk and Text.

@Geno wrote:

I am in the US now.  Do I need to be enable roaming even if I didn't get the Data Add On?

I believe so....  It does not hurt anyways.  There is no overages with PM.  

@Geno wrote:

You must have the 10 Day US Roaming Add-on in order to use any feature while in US. Without it...nothing will work.

Enable roaming if you want to use data feature. You won't incur any other charges.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Geno wrote:

Thanks for your help.

It only works while you're in the US. If you are in US, try manually selecting AT&T or T-mobile, whichever works best for you.

Geno

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Geno 

Are you in the US presently?  Does your talk work?

Make sure that you are connected to either AT&T or T mobile.  Try to manually select one first, if that does not work, select other.  Enable roaming.  

Need Help? Let's chat.