cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

Dawn11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, my husband drives transport and is now crossing the border from Canada to US quite regularly. When I shopped the add-ons, the best deal I could see was the $30 for 15-day plan. That seems really expensive to me; especially when he doesn't go over everyday. Is there a better way? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It might not be ideal but expensive?

The big Canadian carriers charge $12 or so per day for roaming in the US. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Dawn11 wrote:

Hi, my husband drives transport and is now crossing the border from Canada to US quite regularly. When I shopped the add-ons, the best deal I could see was the $30 for 15-day plan. That seems really expensive to me; especially when he doesn't go over everyday. Is there a better way? Thank you.

Does he need access to the Public Mobile phone number? If he needs to use the same phone number, he will need to pay the roaming add-ons or consdier switching carriers for a plan that includes better roaming packages.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Dawn11 

I work at a border City and travel across the line to pickup parcels, filling up gas and shopping at Costco, Trader Joe etc.

I use the TextNow SIM for FREE calling and texting without wifi on 4G & 5G T-Mobile network.

SIM is on 99 cents usd but there are catches on the purchase and keeping the TextNow number.

https://www.textnow.com/blog/textnow-sim-activation-faq#:~:text=It's%20true!,worry%20about%20a%20mon... 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Does he just need data, or does he need phone and text service too? I use Ubigi when I go south. They have monthly and daily plans, but I do an annual plan for $68 USD which gives me 2GB of data per month. No calling or texting, but i can use WhatsApp.

KeithInVan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I *JUST* noticed the T-Mobile stuff.  Ugh!!!

@KeithInVan wrote:

Check out Ryan Reynold's phone company.  Best pricing for the service I found. 

@KeithInVan  but not sure if it will stay that way

https://www.facebook.com/VancityReynolds/videos/3520467464849318

KeithInVan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Check out Ryan Reynold's phone company.  Best pricing for the service I found.  I'm a frequent border crosser and I couldn't find any Canadian company (including Public M.) with favorable rates for while I'm south of the 49th. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Dawn11 

Your husband can purchase a US SIM card and purchase one of their plans. That would be the cheapest.

Most Canadian mobile companies charge a premium for US roaming.  $30 for 15 days seems expensive, but if you compare for example to Koodo Easy Roam USA, customers are paying $14/day while using their base plan.  A couple days of roaming is equivalent to 15 days with Public mobile.  

Your husband will be able to receive texts while traveling in the USA without any roaming packages.  But, if he wants to send texts, use data or talk, he will need to purchase US Roaming package.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Dawn11   Yes, if he drives to US regularly, the addon is not for him.

Consider getting those local data sim card in US, they are cheaper and get him more data.

For voice, use VoIP app like TextNow.  You get another 10 digits number for Textnow and it will ring on the app, works as long as he has data or Wifi. So, you can call him on that 10 digits number when he is in US.

Need Help? Let's chat.