cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Talk & Text not working

SJMorton
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased the $15 Talk and Text Bundle, but it does not work.  At all. I tried turning off the phone and back on again to connect.  T-Mobile is listed as the network. I’ve had the cellular data roaming button off and on, but I didn’t purchase data, so it’s really irrelevant anyway.  Please help!

16 REPLIES 16

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SJMorton it is good to close of a thread once the issue is solved, but I think this one may be worthy of a self solution choice: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Talk-amp-Text-not-working/m-p/...

You can change it, but oracles may undo it, unless oracles in this thread can approve of that. 🙂

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The topic title and first two sentences seemed to say it all. Glad it's all good now.

@SJMorton wrote:

Okay, everything seems ok now.  Apparently, it was just me being dumb.  iMessaging wasn’t sending my texts because I didn’t purchase data, so I have to hold the message and hit “send as text,” which worked.  And my calls work.  So, perhaps if I hadn’t been so frazzled from travel, I would have thought of that!  All good now.  And the agent was super responsive btw.  Thanks again to everyone!

@SJMorton - 

Our bad perhaps as well...we didn't even ask if your calling in/out worked - oops!

I was presuming nothing worked.

Glad it was such an easy fix, safe travels.

@SJMorton  - ah iMessage! darn iphones...😄

Ensure you have SMS and MMS enabled in the settings of your device.

SJMorton

Okay, everything seems ok now.  Apparently, it was just me being dumb.  iMessaging wasn’t sending my texts because I didn’t purchase data, so I have to hold the message and hit “send as text,” which worked.  And my calls work.  So, perhaps if I hadn’t been so frazzled from travel, I would have thought of that!  All good now.  And the agent was super responsive btw.  Thanks again to everyone!

@SJMorton wrote:

I did manually select AT&T - no difference.  There is an agent working on the issue for me.  Thank you to all!

@SJMorton  - please let us know if they found an issue or what could be the fix.

Are you travelling with anyone that you could perhaps try your SIM into their phone to test? Even if you are...then there is the challenge to find a pin size to open up the sim slots....

SJMorton

I did manually select AT&T - no difference.  There is an agent working on the issue for me.  Thank you to all!

HI @SJMorton   I think manually choosing the network is safer.  Automatic might jump to different one when you move to a different area. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SJMorton wrote:

Yes, I received a Welcome to the USA text from Public Mobile.  As I had already purchased the add-on, I just ignored it.  AT&T is phasing out 3G, so T-Mobile is the right choice, I believe.  But I didn’t choose it, it just connected.

@SJMorton small note here around 3G...okay two things actually:

1) Although Public Mobile call their data plans 3G, they are actually 4G/LTE but deliberately throttled (speed limited) to a max of 3Mbps which is roughly equivalent to the average experience one might get on an actual 3G network. So, even though your plan says 3G, it's delivered over LTE

2) Regardless of point 1 above, you can use either AT&T or T-Mobile as both are available roaming partners.  Your service will be delivered over 4G/LTE in the US.

EDIT: further clarification: I just remembered you said you bought the Talk&Text roaming package and not data.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@SJMorton 

Might try to manually select AT&T to see whether it works. 

Did you try network reset as per above suggestion?

SJMorton

Yes, I received a Welcome to the USA text from Public Mobile.  As I had already purchased the add-on, I just ignored it.  AT&T is phasing out 3G, so T-Mobile is the right choice, I believe.  But I didn’t choose it, it just connected.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@SJMorton 

Did you receive the welcome to USA text from Public mobile?  Incoming texts should still work even without a roaming package.

You could also try to manually select AT&T, the other partner US mobile company.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SJMorton  - you could also try to remove your SIM card, then gently inserting it, maybe something is mis-connected somewhere.

If still issues, try performing a Reset of your device's Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SJMorton  - I have to ask...are you in the USA? Roaming addons only work whilst you are on the USA, not Canada.

Plus, you can only use service for any addons if your account plan is in Active status.

SJMorton

No, I added funds and purchased it.  And the add-on appears on my plan page

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you see the $15 in your balance? If so then you need to go back to purchase and actually buy the add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.