cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming - Fort Lauderdale

JamesFe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There are so many posts on US roaming, but I can't seem to find a similar problem as mine.  On my last trip to Fort Lauderdale, I could make calls and had data (with a US roaming add-on) but could not receive text messages.  This was very inconvenient, as the main reason I purchased the add-on was to use Uber (which relies on text codes).

I'm traveling to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday and hoping for a better experience.  I requested that I be upgraded to VoLTE earlier this year and was told it was completed, but did not have the toggles on my phone that were described by Public Mobile support (it was escalated though a couple of tiers of tech support).  After exhaustive back and forth with Public Mobile and Apple (I have an iPhone XS), I was told by Public Mobile my phone does not support VoLTE even though it is on the list of supported devices.  

Has anyone recently used an iPhone XS in Fort Lauderdale, and what was your experience?  Are there any settings in my iMessages that might have prevented me from receiving text messages the last time, which I should check before leaving for my trip?

13 REPLIES 13

JamesFe

I wasn’t able to receive any text messages from Uber, but was able to receive messages from others.  The really weird part is that the person travelling with me was able to receive the Uber text - he is also with Public Movile but did NOT purchase the US add on.  I just can’t figure out why I’m not receiving them.  

JamesFe

I’ve purchased a US add on (text, talk and 3gb data).  I can see in my account it’s been added, but it says I have -1 text messages left and -0.02 minutes of talk minutes left.  I’ve not yet travelled to the US and have not made any US calls and texts.  I don’t know what this means, and if I need to be concerned?  

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Make sure your iMessage is set to fallback to SMS as needed. And also check the MMS settings, as was already suggested. Leave phone in Automatic network selection, but set preferred network to 4G (you don't have a 5G phone anyway, but make sure it's not set to 3G). And then of course verify you're connected to either T-Mobile or AT&T.

@JamesFe   I assume you have SMS (and MMS just in case) enabled in the Messages settings.  Do texts work fine while you're in Canada?   Do you recall if you were able to receive texts while in the US that were from other than Uber?   If Uber is the only text you're not getting there, do the Uber texts come from a phone number or a short code?   Uber has an article about SMS problems https://help.uber.com/riders/article/im-not-receiving-email-sms-or-push-notifications?nodeId=c113d37... 

JamesFe

Just checked my iMessages settings, and both my phone number and my email were selected.  I've changed the setting to just my phone number.  Fingers crossed...

JamesFe

Thanks, I'm able to make a call and use data at the same time and it's shows LTE the whole time. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

OP problem is more with text

"could make calls and had data (with a US roaming add-on) but could not receive text messages."

With iPhones, VoLTE come on automatically. It's supported by US markets.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203124

JamesFe

Any insight on the VoLTE response from Public Mobile?  I wasn't confident in the answer I was given - it just felt like they didn't really know and wanted to close the ticket.   They told me I needed to toggle a VoLTE switch in my settings, but I do not have the option (just LTD and 3G for data roaming).  They ended up telling me that my phone was only VoLTE compatible for a postpaid account, not a prepaid account like Public Mobile.  It didn't make much sense. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @JamesFe 

I was in the US back in November, twice. I have the iPhone XR and when I got there, I just went into my network settings, chose T-Mobile, rebooted and I was up and running with everything. Here is how you do it while you're there. Bookmark this page to come back to it if you have any issues. I'm sure where you're going you'll at least have WiFi to access these forums/page. Just know, you will need data to use iMessage. If you don't plan on buying data with your add on, then go into the settings and change iMessage to plain text. 

How to change Network Operators on iPhone

Press Settings

Chalupa_Batman_0-1704386612004.png

Press Network Selection

Chalupa_Batman_1-1704386611872.png

Press the indicator next to Automatic and turn it off.

Chalupa_Batman_2-1704386611782.png

Then pick T-Mobile for US usage.

Chalupa_Batman_3-1704386611911.png

Then swipe up and close. It’s best to reboot if possible.

You should be good to go.

Created by Chalupa Batman

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@JamesFe   Apple iPhone 8 & above (iOS 16 & above) is listed on PM's VoLTE compatible list.  There is no toggle for VoLTE with iPhones on PM, it just works.  You can test it by turning off wifi, turning on data, and making a phone call while you're in Canada.  If the phone stops saying LTE at the top and switches to 3G then you don't have VoLTE, but if it stays on LTE then VoLTE is enabled.  If your voice calls worked without having to drop to 2G on T-Mobile I think that implies you have VoLTE.  

Having said that, it shouldn't be the cause of the texting problem.  I had something similar with iMessages and it turned out that an ios update had switched the Send and Receive setting in Messages to email instead of phone number so you may want to check that.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@JamesFe 

usually anyone can receive text message whilst in US...even without the add-on..Just not able to send messages. iMessage is dependent on wifi or data. w/o wifi or data, messages should go as a green message..not blue.

ed

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @JamesFe 

most people have problem with voice but data and text should be fine

please try to manually connect to both AT&T and T-Mobile, also make sure not to use 5G, change the network mode to something without 5G, automatic usually is fine, but 4G is better.  

Need Help? Let's chat.