US Coverage

Andrer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I am in US, I have DATA connection but no cel phone connection

25 REPLIES 25

Andrer

Well, not all good. Went to Connecticut and called a friend; could not connect with neither At&T nor T-Mobile LTE and/or 3G. After contact with friend he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. We need a better solution. Will be coming back in June.

@softech wrote:

I see snowsbirds will be flying home and will ask for a refund very soon  🙂

Yes, if they stay with PM since PM supports 3G only and US is shutting it down.

Well, come on, you cannot have everything: have nice warm weather and being able to irritate relatives in Canada telling them 'what nice weather we have, and you? -15? oh...'

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Hopefully they come up with a viable option...fingers crossed

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Let us know if you're willing to experiment with some other options now that you know how to get it back to working.

@Andrer wrote:

Works I called my son in Canada

Thanks everybody...awesome

@Andrer  Since the voice service is sort of unreliable at the moment, down VoIP app TextNow at a backup.  It works on Data and Wifi, it gues you another 10 digits phone numbers.  You basically make and receive calls like a phone, except you use the app 

Andrer

Yes I know how to work it out

Thanks

Andrer

Works I called my son in Canada

Thanks everybody...awesome

@Andrer   Glad it works.  It will work for now. 

If you have problem with voice in another region, try it back using T-Mobile 3G

But the voice connection will get harder and harder as more 3G towers are down.  PM has not confirm what will happen.  So, we are all here just wait and see

Andrer

I forced it At&T 3G and it seems to work

@dabr wrote:

I believe OP has suggested he's on the discontinued snowbird plan..

I see snowsbirds will be flying home and will ask for a refund very soon  🙂

@Andrer wrote:

I don't know how to change to 3G

HI @Andrer 

Select Settings.
Select Mobile Data.
Select Mobile Data Options.
Select Voice & Data.
To enable 3G, select 3G.

I believe OP has suggested he's on the discontinued snowbird plan..

"Andrer

19m ago

No in my plan I always had DATA and voice when I went to US, never had to do anything"

@Andrer wrote:

I was told that if my phone was Iphone 11 that I had no problems connecting to 4G

@Andrer  PM has its voice calls running solely on 3G network while data can runs on 4G and 3G.  With the decommissioning of 3G in US, it will impact our voice roaming in US, unless PM can sort out a VoLTE arrangement with AT&T and T-Mobile.  At the moment, it is unclear what will happen when 3G is fully gone in US.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Settings - mobile data - mobile data options - voice & data
is it on 4G? If so do you see the VoLTE below? Turn that on if not already and try calling someone and see what happens.

But first we need confirmation of your add-ons. Click on plan details and tell us what all you have there.

Andrer

I don't know how to change to 3G

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Andrer    You can also try powering off the phone and removing the SIM for a couple of minutes and then reinsert SIM and reboot the phone. 

HI@Andrer   It is not 4G with a problem, but it is because PM is using 3G as voice calls.  So, it needs to have solid 3G connections for voice (also, since LTE/4G works, that's why your data has no issue).  US is taking down 3G, so some area will have no voice for carrier like PM which use ONLY 3G for voice 

Try to do a 3G Only to see if it connects.  This is to test if there is 3G in your area.  If no 3G, no voice.  Again, even there is no 3G and you have no voice, your iPhone 11 still can carry data on LTE.  

Andrer

I was told that if my phone was Iphone 11 that I had no problems connecting to 4G

@Andrer wrote:

it is T-mobile

HI @Andrer could be just specific location related. 

Try to connect to 3G Only on your device setting and see if your data works , and voice work or not

If you move to another area, maybe be better

You can try to connect AT&T as well.  Some area already has no 3G but some still do, try it.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Andrer   Okay, so you're on the discontinued snowbird plan with US data/talk roaming included.  As suggested try connecting to T-Mobile if you were connecting to AT&T.  Edit:  also it never hurts to try rebooting or toggling airplane mode on/off too.

Andrer

it is T-mobile

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Andrer   Which US carrier are you using now? You might have problem with AT&T as they already start taking down 3G network, although some areas still have it.  Try T-Mobile instead, they still have full 3G network.  I think they will start shutting down next month

Andrer

No in my plan I always had DATA and voice when I went to US, never had to do anything

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Andrer   Try manually selecting either AT&T or T-Mobile as one of them may offer better coverage.  Also, you did purchase a roaming add-on with talk?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you switch networks to T-Mobile? Did you buy a talk add-on or bundle with talk?

Need Help? Let's chat.