cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Add-on rarely worked

joblack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I recently purchased the US Roaming-250MB Data 10 day plan for my trip to Maine, USA. Unfortunately I rarely had cell service the entire trip; the time I did not have service far out-weighed the time I did have service. However, my husband had cell service the entire time with AT&T.

I previously bought this 10 day US plan when I travelled to California and Nevada and it worked fine. Not sure what was going on with this most recent trip, but it was definitely not good value for the money I paid. Could I be reimbursed?

21 REPLIES 21

JL9
Mayor / Maire

@joblack if you don't mind telling us.. What did they agree to.. To resolve this.. If you do, no worries.  Just happy there was some sort of resolution 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Lol Aha so my assumption was right for once 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

@dabr No I meant he was with another carrier completely and either had pay per roaming or a 4G roaming Add on,  I agree it wouldn't make a difference if he was using the PM roaming Add on

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

Not assuming @Meow .

OP posted "my husband had cell service the entire time with AT&T." Seemed clear to me, no?

No 😋

I do not know what other companies offer for US roaming but what if... husband has service from other company with similar add-on or whatever thy might call it?

But if both of them had PM US add-on and one phone worked and other did not, they should first exchange SIMs and try again to eliminate hardware issue.

Oh, well there you go @Meow ... did I presume it was PM ?  yup I did 🙃

My Bad! 

Glad to here the 'rare service' OP received was partial reimbursed.

@joblack   Thanks for clarifying, so he had roaming with another carrier.

joblack

No, not with PM

@joblack    If you don't mind, can you clarify if your husband is also with PM?

joblack

Thanks, I received a partial reimbursement.

joblack

Thank you. I did receive partial reimbursement.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

Not assuming @Meow .

OP posted "my husband had cell service the entire time with AT&T." Seemed clear to me, no?

No 😋

I do not know what other companies offer for US roaming but what if... husband has service from other company with similar add-on or whatever thy might call it?

But if both of them had PM US add-on and one phone worked and other did not, they should first exchange SIMs and try again to eliminate hardware issue.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@JL9    I don't believe having a 4G plan would make a difference to roaming add-ons, but it's curious if OP's husband, if also with PM, was able to get service without issues though.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@joblack  - 

Since your husband had service and you didn't (well you said 'rarely') I suspect there was a device setting (perhaps with some troubleshooting that may have helped) or compatibility issue.

You just assume husband has service with PM. And if he does we do not know which US add-on he had.

Maybe some US add-ons (more expensive) work better then the other?

Not assuming @Meow .

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I am assuming your husband is on another plan and maybe on 4G+ and that's why he didn't have issues. The 3G shutdown in the US is throwing a big wrench in PM's us roaming. They should either upgrade it now that they have 4G options or get rid of it altogether. Hopefully the CSA will do the right thing an dput a credit in your available balance towards another add on or renewal

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

@joblack  - 

Since your husband had service and you didn't (well you said 'rarely') I suspect there was a device setting (perhaps with some troubleshooting that may have helped) or compatibility issue.

You just assume husband has service with PM. And if he does we do not know which US add-on he had.

Maybe some US add-ons (more expensive) work better then the other?

You're right. I looked. There's nothing pre-purchase other than the add-on list elsewhere. There's a fine print button but no mention of this matter.

So you got something about the problem after purchase?

Once again poor messaging and communication from this poor messaging and communication company.

But still, with some usage, I would agree that a refund would be unlikely. If only you had asked about it here while you were using it we might have had some workaround ideas for you.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@joblack 

I remember someone posted before about trouble connecting in Marine.

However, did you try to connect manually to either AT&T or T-Mobile? If you husband can connect to AT&T , you should.  Also, you are just data roaming, it should be easier to connect then voice 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@joblack  - 

As for the refund, we are all customers and members like you here. Only CSA can be contacted and you may explain your situation to them to see if they will credit your account.

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

@joblack wrote:

I received the warning after I purchased the US plan.

You can and should ask for a credit to your acct. Just don't be upset if your request is denied.

added...

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

joblack

I received the warning after I purchased the US plan.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

When you got the add-on there was a warning that 3G cell service in US was recently being retired, and could affect your service whilst in US.

added...

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. Customers may also experience changes to services such as welcome messages, voicemail notifications, usage notifications for voice, notifications when trying to make an international call, interactive voice responses (IVR), as well as the ability to set up voicemail while in the U.S.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You can ask agent bu I doubt you will get reimbursement as you did use a little bit of add-on.

No service is most likely due to selective shutdown of 3G network in USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.