cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to activate SIM but get: email address is associated with an existing Public Mobile account

edmiidz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am unable to register a new Sim card, it says that:

"This email address is associated with an existing Public Mobile account, please enter another one."

Surely it must be possible to own more than 1 Public mobile Sim card without creating multiple email addresses?

Edited no personal information in the forum. Lieux. EDITED: FOR THE SECURITY OF YOUR ACCOUNT. 

24 REPLIES 24

@edmiidz wrote:

@softech was less wrong when he said "not good to post your email address", compared with @Lieux  who said "no personal information in the forum." which is not in the terms of use in this site. Moderators misrepresenting terms of service seems like a worthwhile topic to me.

@edmiidz  no one posting in this thread are Public Mobile employees/representatives.

We are all customers/members like you.

Public Mobile employees/representatives are called Customer Support Agents (CSA)...used to be known as Moderators though.

They can be reach here through a message ticketing process, if you need for future reference: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@edmiidz  Sorry for my words. I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s for the security of your account. That’s not a judgment or anything bad about you personally. It’s just a protection for everyone.

@edmiidz 

I still don't see any point to your argument.  We are just trying to help you by asking you to not disclose your personal information. 

I was just trying to be nice and say  "not good to post your email address" .  But I fully agree the words Oracle used "no personal information in the forum.".   You can keep posting here the whole day and try to win if this is what you are trying to achieve..  But all we are trying to do is ask you not to post your information for your benefit.  

Talking about the wrong use of terms, Lieux is an Oracle, not Moderator.  Moderators are now renamed as CS Agent.  There is no more moderator in this Community any more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edmiidz : Helping you protect your private information is a different matter. I mostly don't care anymore. So many people share lots of information online here and elsewhere. The risk is on them. Sometimes I'll say something.

But, from the community terms:

Be careful

Be mindful of what you share online. Please do not include any personal information when posting in the Community, especially phone numbers, email addresses, passwords, and payment information. Additionally, always use your discretion when following advice on the Community.

edmiidz

@softech was less wrong when he said "not good to post your email address", compared with @Lieux  who said "no personal information in the forum." which is not in the terms of use in this site. Moderators misrepresenting terms of service seems like a worthwhile topic to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edmiidz : None of this argument matters. The chosen solution is all you need. This place doesn't allow the same email address on multiple accounts. If you wish to get into a discussion around the suggestion to change that then that's different. But none of us here can actually do anything about it.

And you've already been offered an idea to use google's instant-alias to get around that so that emails would come to the main inbox anyway.

@edmiidz   You can still burred out your email and it has the same effect without disclosing your real email address

You image is still in your image library

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/223480/album-id/120874/imag...

you can choose to delete it or post another one with the address burred out

edmiidz

How is that helpful?

edmiidz_0-1643057352560.png

edmiidz

@softech, If the screenshot were still here, it would help people understand the context about my UX problem. Without it, People think I was just sharing my email address. Your advice further perpetuates that misunderstanding. 

@edmiidz I still do not understand how disclosing your email address will help

We are all customers like you.  We have no access to your PM account.   Putting your email address will not help us in helping you with your issue.   We just trying to help you based on the issue you are experiencing.  Not putting your email or your other personal information here will not delay a resolution.  

PM Customer Support using won't check the Community post as well.  Even they check, they won't action based on the email address you provided. 

To properly engage them and have them to look into your account, you will have to open a ticket with them, then it will validate your identity with the ticket portal or they will private message you and ask you for information such as your email address and more

So, the bottom line is, it doesn't help to put email address here.  If it doesn't help?  why put it here?  The more information people can gather from you, the more chance they can hack into your account.  

Yes, it is down to your own information and you decide what to expose or not.  I respect your decision and you can keep posting it here if you think it helps.  Of course, we have a group of experienced Oracles here, they will monitor the posts in the Community and will decide what information needs to be removed or not

edmiidz

@softech, That naive attitude towards privacy is exactly what puts people in danger. Knowing the extent of personal data that you can publicize without putting yourself at risk is a much safer strategy to dealing with Bad actors. If you keep spreading misinformation and paranoia rather than referring to the actual terms of service and privacy policy, you will cause more harm than good. But more to the point, you distract from the real user experience problems that we are having with Public Mobile, and delay the conversation from moving towards a resolution.

@edmiidz  this is an open forum and it is not good to post your email address.  The more personal information  we got and link to your user id, the more chance some bad guy can use them and hack into your account here or even Self Serve.  It is for your protection. 

edmiidz

@0PX9O4 , Posting my email address is not a violation of terms, but deleting it makes it look like a)  publicmobile is trying to distract from the poor user experience I'm having and b) like publicmobile has something to hide. 

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@edmiidz   Nope.  Each public mobile account must have its own unique email address.  Because your email address is also associated with the payment of community rewards so if you use the same email address for multiple accounts, public mobile won't know which account to apply the community rewards to, if you happen to earn them.

@edmiidz wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous  and @0PX9O4 
Imagine if Amazon only let you buy one product for email address. I guess this is what happens when you don't have a market with free competition. We have to live with subpar service like this and workarounds like xxxxxxxx

@edmiidz   I guess the idea is there is no "family account" or "one bill" option.  So, there is no one email for multiple lines

If your email system allows, like Gmail.  You can use alias to create the account on Public Mobile and all email communication will go to the same email inbox with alias.  For example, if your email is publicmobile @ gmail.com  and you used that for SelfServe My Account, you can create another Self-Serve My account using something like  public.mobile @ gmail.com    not the best way, but hope this can help a bit. 

(but make sure you remember or white down what alias you used)

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lieux  you may need to remove that email address as well ☝🏽

@edmiidz wrote:

Imagine if Amazon only let you buy one product for email address. I guess this is what happens when you don't have a market with free competition. We have to live with subpar service like this and workarounds like xxxcccccccc

@edmiidz  - just confirming here...are you trying to purchase SIM cards with Public Mobile? Because in that case, you certainly can use the same email you created this account with, OR, you can check out as a GUEST for the purchase. 

Or, are you trying to ACTIVE a 2nd SIM card and create a plan: https://publicmobile.ca/en/ns/portal/activation

If this, then yes, other posts apply.

No family plans here. This is not too uncommon to have accounts set up with unique emails really. There is no master account; every account is the master account.. 😃

edmiidz

Imagine if Amazon only let you buy one product for email address. I guess this is what happens when you don't have a market with free competition. We have to live with subpar service like this and workarounds like xxxxxxxx

Too close to your email. No personal information for security raison. Lieux.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edmiidz 

if your email address is someone associated to another public mobile account and is not to you.

you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, them can do investigation,

• send a private message to Customer Support Agent by Click Here link,

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@edmiidz wrote:

Surely it must be possible to own more than 1 Public mobile Sim card without creating multiple email addresses?

@edmiidz  Sorry, but it is not possible at Public Mobile.

Unique email for each account created is required.

You can pay with the same credit card, and register it with Autopay on multiple accounts though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edmiidz 

for each account need only email different.. you can't use multiple account for one email..

0PX9O4

@edmiidz 

I would suggest editing/blurring part of the screenshot you've posted to remove your personal information. Also, since you use a gmail address, I wanted to let you know that you can easily add a period (.) anywhere within your Gmail username and still receive email sent to that address.

eg.: xyz@gmail.com is the same as x.yz@gmail.com or x.y.z@gmail.com

This way you can create multiple email addresses for PM activation and still receive all emails in the same inbox.

0PX9O4

@edmiidz 

I feel your pain. This is a limitation of the system's design because your email address is also your login to self serve. Unfortunately the only way to activate a second SIM is to use another/unique email address.

Need Help? Let's chat.