cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling with Public Mobile Internationally

pierceglumac
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been a customer of Public Mobile for 5 years and I use PM for all my 2-factor authentication. Recently I've been having to travel internationally frequently and have found that public mobile cannot receive SMS's while out of country. I am wondering if anyone can find a solution for me to keep on the PM network but being able to receive 2-factor codes/SMS messages while travelling abroad?

10 REPLIES 10

John_G1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Presumably you have to set this up with the service providers (e.g. banks, credit card companies, phone companies like P.M.) before you can use Authenticator.  Some providers ask if there is another way than SMS to send you a code, but many do not.

ditto if you get a different phone number for the purpose - you have to tell anyone who will send you a 2FA request that you are changing the number. Right? Or can it be automatic from our end?

John_G1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

the problem with this is that the services that confirm your identity with 2FA do not have the phone number in that local SIM. They have your usual home/mobile number. That's why this question was asked in the first place.

Do you anticipate getting the local SIM number and then calling any service provider e.g. bank, credit card company, that one might need to communicate with, to tell them to send 2FA requests to the new number? How do you persuade them that you are who you are, without the existing 2FA?

ChrisWhately

I use CIBC for banking and often need  2 factor codes when outside Canada. I now use only "push" notifications from CIBC. These come to my phone anywhere in the world and do not require any phone/sms plan as the notification goes directly to my phone via data ( WIFI or a very cheap e-sim such as Airalo that I use. It recently worked flawlessly in Scotland, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Thailand. I use free Whats App for any phone or video needs.)

Megzz

you are able to buy international sim options for travel. The other option I have done is using apps for texting instead of relying on my phone service for SMS. try text me app it's free and worked for me no problem !  Hope this helps. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@pierceglumac 

my suggestion would be to get a new number on chatr or another provider of your choice and change your 2fa to that number. leave your pm sim at home and forward the calls to the new number

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=GCT&_nfls=true&setLanguage=en&t...

you can purchase the cheapest plan for $15 and incoming texts should be free in most countries 

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should change to using an authenticator app on your phone for 2FA.  That's actually more secure and it doesn't require any network/cellular connectivity for it to work.

Google Authenticator is the most common authenticator app but there are others.  I store my 2FA codes in 1Password, for example, along with the credentials, which is nice because it gives me a very seamless login experience.   Just be careful - there are scammy apps out there.  Do some research online and make sure your choice is widely used.  For iPhones, Authy is another trusted name. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pierceglumac   

No you cannot

The easiest way is to change your 2FA from different sites to use other methods:

• Send by email
  • Send by voice call.. but to anther number.  Download VoIP app TextNow.  It works like a phone but it is an App.  2FA voice call call call TextNow and you can call the call via voice calls
    While TextNow can receive text, but 2FA type of text is NOT free on TextNow, so voice call to TextNow is the workaround
  • Use Authenticator app.  BEST and safest way

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@pierceglumac  Sorry PM only works in Canada and the US with US roaming add ons . Anyplace else your best to get a local pre paid SIM card in your destination 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@pierceglumac - there is no service outside of Canada and USA with Public Mobile. Where are you travelling?

When in USA you require Roaming Addons for full services. Or, are you on an old Canada/USA plan?

Sorry...EDIT, if you use or download a wifi app (fongo or textnow), you can leave your public mobile sim card in a phone in Canada and see if call forwarding works to these wifi numbers for SMS, just know that you cannot reply back with your public number.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/call-forwarding 

Need Help? Let's chat.