cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to the USA

Kris_marie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was recently in the USA for the weekend and got my lovely notification about US add ons.   I chose to turn off my data all together and  not to take an add on as 10 days was too many.   A 2 to 5 day plan would be ideal.  😉

My father in law attempted to call my spouse, also a PM user with no add on, but the call was unable to get through, it didn't even go to voicemail.

Will your phone only work if you have US add ons or should we have been able to still accept calls at a ppu rate.  (YES i realize PM is prepaid)?  Also are emergency calls possible when you are traveling to the US if needed?  It was worrisome that we had no call  notification. 

3 REPLIES 3

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Emergency calls to 911 (or 999 in Europe) will always be connected so long as the phone is in range of a compatible cell tower regardless of provider operating that tower or whether or not the phone has an active plan attached etc.  

EDIT: also note that you can receive text messages while in the USA without needing any add-on(s).  More info here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/WHAT-HAPPENS-IN-THE-US-WITH-NO-US-ADD...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kris_marie

If you are not planning to get US travel add-on, setup your phones to use Whatsapp so that you can get Whatsapp messages, voice or video call using WiFi at hotel, airport. 

Whatsapp is our family communication software whether in Canada or travel.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Kris_marie wrote:

I was recently in the USA for the weekend and got my lovely notification about US add ons.   I chose to turn off my data all together and  not to take an add on as 10 days was too many.   A 2 to 5 day plan would be ideal.  😉

My father in law attempted to call my spouse, also a PM user with no add on, but the call was unable to get through, it didn't even go to voicemail.

Will your phone only work if you have US add ons or should we have been able to still accept calls at a ppu rate.  (YES i realize PM is prepaid)?  Also are emergency calls possible when you are traveling to the US if needed?  It was worrisome that we had no call  notification. 

That is correct you will not be able to receive calls in the US without a US addon.  PM has no PPU items.  As for emergency calls without the addon that I am not sure about but I would think you would be able to.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.