cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Asia, Text to Email?

sandymargarita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello PM community,

I'm travelling to Taiwan next week, and will be there for 2 months. I know I can check VM from another phone, but how would I be able to check and receive any incoming text messages? 

4 REPLIES 4

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Every family members in my household must install WhatsApp for communication.  We like group chat. One message to our family group, every family members will get the message.  WhatsApp is a must for the traveller.  My kids traveled to Europe, Asia, India etc.  They send a WhatsApp message to our family group using WiFi as soon as they arrive at the airport, before getting a local SIM card, 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Whenever we go to Mx, we have the free Textnow app on our phone and ipad. Works wherever you have a robust wifi signal. We can call and text for free. Just a suggestion...good luck.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sandymargarita wrote:

Hello PM community,

I'm travelling to Taiwan next week, and will be there for 2 months. I know I can check VM from another phone, but how would I be able to check and receive any incoming text messages? 

You will not be able to use this service in Asia. There will be no network connectivity. The only country where roaming is available is the US. The phone will not connect to the network. If you can leave your phone here you can set up a SMS Forwarding app to forward to a temp number you use in Asia

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Here is one solution. More details here.

Here is an older thread with a post I wrote about this and more options 🙂

You can choose your solution, but it involves leaving your SIM here for sure, and then using either another phone and a forwarding app, or leaving your current phone here and syncing it with a computer app - assuming you'll bring your laptop/use a computer there. Or, using a different number for these 2 months, either using a local SIM or an internet base service.

Need Help? Let's chat.