cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling in USA

Wini
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I’ve searched the community for some answers but while getting some info that’s helpful, I’m still left not totally sure of my options. 

I’m travelling to the USA for seven weeks and use Messenger to keep in touch with family since I’m at a hotel every night anyway. We’ve had no problems travelling without a call/text plan but would like to know my options and the costs. 

First, if I don’t go on any plan, but choose to just turn off airplane mode in an emergency to use my phone (Canadian plan) how much will I be charged for that day? 

Can I turn on cellular data roaming in the USA and use my Canadian PM data without charge?

How much is an e-sim plan per month in the USA? I have an iPhone SE/3G, if that makes any difference..

Thank you,

Lynn

6 REPLIES 6

SarahMcG

I was traveling in the States a few weeks ago. I purchased the PM US roaming talk/text and data add on and it worked great for me. Like you I used wifi when at my "Home Base" but for messaging and looking up things on Google maps etc. W hile I was out exploring for the day it was great to have the roaming package. I will say it did use up my regular data first before using the extra purchased data - which was a bummer because when I got home to Canada I didn't have any data from my regular plan and could no longer use the extra purchased data for the US. 

Wini

Thanks for your reply. I had never heard of airalo and looked it up. Looks very good. I had contacted a T-mobile in the US and it’s going to cost $20 plus a one time set up charge of $25.  That’s quite expensive for only wanting it for emergency calls.  

Rastin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If your phone can do 4g/lte it may be cheaper to pick-up a sim from the US and pause your pm account for 2 months. Or just use free wifi and what's app for free

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Wini 

Your iPhone SE should have 4G/LTE because USA decommissioned 3G. Just set the iPhone Voice & Data to LTE.

You won’t be charge for Roaming if you didn’t purchase any Roaming Add-On.

I suggest you leave it on Airplane mode and use the WhatsApp or TextNow app n free hotel or coffee shop wifi for free calling and texting.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Wini , you cannot use the service in the US unless you purchase a roaming add-on.  Since you mention that your phone is 3G, the calling feature won't work very well unless there's access to T-Mobile 2G which is slowly shrinking.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Wini 

if you have a Canada plan only, you won't get charged for turning on your phone, the service won't work without a roaming addon

you can choose the 15 days bundle from PM to use data/talk/text

or if you want to use esim, airalo has it for US $11 for 3GB for 30 days or $16 for 5GB

Need Help? Let's chat.