cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to the Dominican Republic

Ethan6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Going to the Dominican Republic next week and we have 3 cell phones with Public Mobile. I know they don’t offer add ins for the DR but I have a few questions? 
1. do I need to do anything to not be charged roaming etc.. 

2. If I get a Dominican eSIM card will it affect anything from Public Mobile? Will I use the same current cell number? 
3. should I keep my data off and just use wifi etc.. 

thanks everyone, new to me not sure what the best approach is. 
thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

Holubmd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So you cant even use a vpn to get sms messages from banks while abtoad?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

HI @Ethan6 

yes, PM does not have roaming service in Dominican Republic

1. it wont' affect yoru PM account as PM does not have the service there.  For esim, check airalo.com

2. you can still use mobile data if you have travel esim, PM has no service there so it won't mix up.  On your phone, you might also want to make sure mobile data is on for the esim

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Ethan6 - Use TextNow to make calls with a number.

Your phone will display "No Service" so then you won't get any roaming fees from PM.

Use roaming on Dominican eSIM.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Ethan6 

Public mobile does not offer international country roaming (except for USA).  Your PM service and phone number will not work in the Dominican Republic.  You will not be charged extra if you keep the PM SIM card in the phone.  It just won't work.  You don't need to keep PM data off (it just won't work).  

If you get a Dominican Republic eSIM card, it will not affect PM service.  You will be assigned a DR phone number.  You will not be able to use your PM Canadian number with a DR eSIM. 

The hassle is that you will not be able to receive any service on your PM number.  Ie. Unable to receive 2FA texts from banks, etc.  

Need Help? Let's chat.