cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel from Canada to Mexico

Cheryle_P
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

What do i need to do, in order to use my phone in Mexico?

My current subscription has unlimited international text and a 500 one-time Int'l LD bonus, is there anything else I need to add to the subscription, to ensure usage in Mexico?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Cheryle_P

Great thank you for this, i actually have that

@hTideGnow 

can't spend all day on the beach...i might burn !    I dunno if they even offer data only plans at Telcel. I do know that esim isn't available on the pre-paid plans...only the hard sim. I'm not sure the cost of travel esim or where to get them. I've been using TelCel for trips to Mx. I get to keep the same number as long as I re-up the plan at least once every year. It's a good deal for travellers to Mx...we can call/text most any number back home. If someone at home wants me to call them, they can text me and I'll call them right back.

HI @hairbag1  so, you are enjoying the sunshine in Mexico now and still care your PM buddies here ?  LoL

is TelCel chip cheaper than those eSIM?

@Cheryle_P 

I've been in Mexico for a couple of months now. I put my PM account to Lost / Stolen to stop renewals from occurring. When I got to Mexico, I stopped at Kiosko (or OXXO) and bought a TelCel chip and a 30 day plan for under $20 Cdn. I can phone most any US, Cdn and Mx number as well as text. I have 3GB's data to use too.  When I get home, I'll RESUME my PM service...( as long as it's not been suspended for more than 89 days as it's deactivated at day 90.)

https://www-telcel-com.translate.goog/personas/amigo/paquetes/paquetes-amigo-sin-limite?_x_tr_sl=es&...

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Cheryle_P 

You can also use WhatsApp in Mexico for free calling and texting through wifi.

Cheryle_P

Thanks for your help!!  Another reason to consider using a different service provider, lol

Cheryle_P

Thanks for the help!!

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You cannot do anythign as PM does NOT provide service outside of USA/Canada.

LD minutes you have are to be used FROM Canada ONLY. This is NOT service available to be used outside of Canada's borders.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Cheryle_P 

sorry, PM does not have roaming service in Mexico.  So, there is no way to use your phone number in Mexico

a kinda workaround is to get local data sim card or travel esim for data in Mexico.  Then pair it with free VoIP app TextNow to make and receive calls and text using Mobile data or Wifi.  The VoIP app will assign you another 10 digits Canadian number, you can use the app to make the calls and text

Need Help? Let's chat.