cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel abroad

Ana2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I would like to stay in Brazil for 3 weeks and still get calls from Canada and US, and just few times use data for GPS navigation.

is that something that public mobile can offer? And if so, how can I purchase this package?

thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

If you have a VOIP number that has call forwarding. 

1. Could you call forward your PM # to the VOIP then

2. Set up the voip number to call forward to a temporary number in Brazil or any other country?

You would have to set up the VOIP call forward once in the other country over wi-fi or before you leave "if" you pre purchased a Sim and a number. 

I have 2 Fongo numbers. For some reason I cannot call forward both numbers to my PM number. So on the second Fongo number I call forward to my other Fongo number. Then both ring my PM number. 

@mimmo 

Awesome thank you!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious  once the forwarding is enabled it does not matter where the sim is.   If the sim is in Brazil it just won't connect to a tower. 

When I was in the USA I was able to (at this point 99.9% sure , it was a while back)enable and disable forwarding from my phone.

Instructions as requested found here 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Traveling-to-Australia/m-p/164854#

Screenshot_20210710-105754.png

@mimmo 

Thanks....but it has to stay in Canada if you are traveling in the US and don't want it to connect to a US tower causing the need for roaming? I had a conversation with @Nezgar about this.....but I lumped everywhere into the same category.

Can you suggest and/or explain how you forward texting?

mimmo

@darlicious  the pm sim does not need to stay in Canada, once forwarding is enabled (must be done in Canada, can also be done in USA iirc)  then the sim can travel around the world or even be destroyed..

The only time the sim needs to stay in Canada is if the user wants to set up sms forwarding, then the sim must remain in Canada in an active phone (and plugged in), so it doesn't turn off.  

There are apps in android that allow sms forwarding not sure iOS.

@Ana2 

As mentioned your best scenario is to get a free voip phone number (textnow and/or fongo) you could then forward your pm phone number to your fongo number to recieve calls and your voice messages. Text messages cannot be forwarded. Text messages would have to be sent directly to your fongo number or textnow number. Textnow has free texting but fongo charges a small fee to send outgoing texts. After forwarding your pm number the pm sim card must remain in Canada so you would remove it from your phone and put it somewhere for safekeeping.

For Brazil in particular fongo is your preferred voip choice as it works on both wifi and mobile data. Unlike most countries wifi is not readily available so you would be reliant on mobile data if you are travelling. It would also be imperative to download WhatsApp as this is one of the main forms of communication in Brazil and is included in most data plans (so its use does not count against your data amount). Plans are renewed on a weekly basis with free calling and texting and 1GB of 3G/4G for about $2 cdn. Autorenewal usually adds an extra 1GB p/wk for free. If you prefer OneSim is a reasonably priced global sim card that can be ordered ahead of time so you have service as soon as you arrive as local sim cards are not sold at airports in Brazil.

Edit: See post below for corrections on text and call forwarding options.

Read this article for more info....

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-brazil/

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ana2...while traveling (pre covid), we used TextNow to keep in touch with family / friends in Canada.

You can download the free TextNow app to your cell phone. You get a free Cdn number. Then while away, you can call any Cdn or US number for free as long as you have a wifi signal.

Most cafes, resorts, diners have free wifi...you might have to ask for the password.

I'm sure the other recommended voip apps work as well.

Just a reminder, you can still call your own number and listen to your voicemail.  So, it would be perfect if you get a VoIP number, then you can call your PM number for free for listening to VM.

mimmo

@Ana2  to receive calls before you leave Canada set up call forwarding on your phone to a VoIP tel number like fongo or trxtnow. And then purchase a Brazilian sim card.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile only offers service in Canada and roaming in USA.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Sorry @Ana2  , PM only has roaming service in USA

The only choice is to get a local SIM to get connected.

You might also want to get install a VoIP app (e.g TextNow) so you can call back Canada or USA easily

Need Help? Let's chat.