cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring - Porting number problem

peterger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am brand new to PM and just signed up for 2 new accounts and everything was going perfectly until I tryed to transfer the second number from my telus share plan and hoping someone might be able to help resolve my problem. To summarize... I set up and activated both accounts with a new sim card and new phone number as it was the suggested way to do it with no issues. Once both phones were working I then began the transferring of the phone number on the 1st account... provided all details and voila, success! When I went to do the same thing with the 2nd account it said it was unable to transfer the number I entered. I then logged into my Telus account to find that my entire account was cancelled so I had no access to it. After a long chat with Telus they told me that Public Mobile had both numbers now and that they had neither one so I would have to contact Public Mobile. I dont know where the number has gone in cyberspace and dont know how PM would have it if it said it couldn't be transferred in the first place but I desperately need it transferred to this 2nd line as my husband has a severe medical condition and it is imperitive that he keep the same phone number for all of his medical contacts.

I did send a PM to @CS_Agent yesterday morning when this happened but yet to hear back from anyone and hoping someone here might be able to help. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

angeliquem
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I spoke too soon!

I was able to port my 3 numbers directly as I described but when it came to the last one, I received the error. Yikes.

@angeliquem wrote:

In the future and for those newcomers reading this thread, it's probably better to port your number directly rather than getting a new number then getting it switched with your old provider's number. That skips a whole step and it works faster most of the time.

Many here would disagree with you.  There's an activation error that causes some customers to be charged, account opened, and phone number and plan assigned, but the service doesn't start working.  By taking a new number first, you would at least ensure that you don't run into that particular glitch.  That doesn't mean that a different problem can't occur further down the road when doing the number port.

For most customers, it's not going to make a difference either way.

angeliquem
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In the future and for those newcomers reading this thread, it's probably better to port your number directly rather than getting a new number then getting it switched with your old provider's number. That skips a whole step and it works faster most of the time.

peterger

As an update to my post, it turns out that when my wife made the online request to have her number changed via port from telus, my number which was the secondary one on our share plan was ported along with hers and was sitting in PM's database. Once the Mod that got in touch with me figured out what happened was able to just assign the number to my phone. I'm a little late on updating the outcome but it was 2 1/2 days to resolve the problem.

Happenis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh, and

a) I submitted all of the information requested on August 29th. Stop suggesting that I haven't.

b) No one is helping me so please don't suggest that someone is

Happenis

I'm neither being patient nor understanding. I simply want what I paid for. In a reasonable time. I'm sorry that you're overwhelmed. But that isn't my problem. Telus is a big company. They should have a feel for how successful promotions will be and staff accordingly. 

This is a crappy way to keep customers when any other carrier out there can port a number in minutes

Happenis

I'm afraid that they passed unacceptable days ago. 

It's quickly becoming CRTC and lawyering time

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@peterger and @Happenis, I'm sorry for the delay it takes to resolve your port issues, we're actually overwhelmed. I can see that your messages are already being handled by my colleagues, and you will soon receive a reply.

@peterger, please do not forget the information that has been requested.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding 🙂

Aïssata

Happenis

Yeah I did all that on August 29th. It's now September 4th

Happenis

That's no excuse for the consumer to have to wait a full week for something that probably takes 2 minutes. Of course it should be done virtually in short time.

There are many people that need employment. Perhaps Telus could employ an appropriate amount of staff

peterger

@MoreYummy wrote:

Just let you know that now it is very busy due to promotions for many days now.

So expect a long way.   

After its fixed, it will be easy.

I am sure hoping that it is not going to be "many days" as that would be unacceptable service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Happenis wrote:

Should never have switched my wife to pm. Today is the 7th day she's basically been without a phone. Any other carriers can port a number anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours at the worst. PM is now one full week.

Her temporary number won't receive incoming calls.  And she has no data. In fact APN settings doesn't work. 

Who would have thought that porting within the same company would be a nightmare. And yes I know the excuse. Just an excuse. I could (almost) understand when pm was first reopened under Telus but c'mon.

Someone I can talk to about this?

Wow! A week!

The only way to get support in this provider is to send them a private message.

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and include your phone number and PIN to minimize back and forth identity verification.

Forget your PIN? Then you'll need 3 of either of these pieces of information you used when you signed up: full address, birthdate, last 4 digits of CC you might have used, email address on the account, alternative phone number you might've entered when you signed up. Or, in addition, either of these to get to 3: last payment amount and date, last add-on bought and date.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Get back here and click on the little envelope in the upper right of your screen that would then have a red blob indicating that you have a message.

Happenis

Should never have switched my wife to pm. Today is the 7th day she's basically been without a phone. Any other carriers can port a number anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours at the worst. PM is now one full week.

Her temporary number won't receive incoming calls.  And she has no data. In fact APN settings doesn't work. 

Who would have thought that porting within the same company would be a nightmare. And yes I know the excuse. Just an excuse. I could (almost) understand when pm was first reopened under Telus but c'mon.

Someone I can talk to about this?

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Just let you know that now it is very busy due to promotions for many days now.

So expect a long way.   

After its fixed, it will be easy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@peterger, Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but wait until the moderators get to your message.  Hopefully it won't be much longer.

Need Help? Let's chat.