cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toped up but no data

JenPOD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have toped my account up and it says active and I owe nothing. When I turn on my data my phone says I'm using data and how much but it keeps popping up to sign into public mobile network 

25 REPLIES 25

@JenPOD 

disable these settings on Android:

autosync
Google photos backup
Playstore auto updates
backup to Google drive off
disable "automatic system updates" in your "developer options" (to get this option, find your os "build number" located in "about phone" and keep tapping it until "developer options enabled" appears

to save data:
keep your video quality at 480p or lower
turn off autoplay videos on your social networking apps and browser
if you really need to save data. use the "data saver" option if your device has it
use "lite mode" on your browser

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):
360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenPOD : Turn off data when not in use. Make any auto-updates use only wifi. Go through all the apps and turn off background data usage for apps that really don't need to be on all the time. Turn off the option to failover to mobile data when out of wifi or weak wifi.

JenPOD

Well thank you everyone for the help. I baught 1G and also signed up for auto pay so that will give me an extra 500something MB as backup. I won't be using all my data next month on gaming Iand Netflix i will get internet at home. I'm in the middle of nowhere so I was turning in circles for a couple weeks. I learned my lesson. If anyone has advice for settings to minimize consumption that could help I have a sony xperia performance and it swallows internet and battery fast. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I have similar experience with Tickets (as advised by Mayor(s)).

Even though direct mail to MODs work somehow it get flipped from MOD to MOD until it reaches really dedicated person willing to take ownership of my issue.

Ticket is kind of official and most likely somebody has to close it with explanation (I hope it works that way).

@JenPOD wrote:

Actually I could not get a ticket I got a 404 message 2 times it was SIMon who said. 

I guess you get to this point:

Yummy_0-1620752776739.png

If you got 404, try again in a few minutes. Maybe too many people are trying to open tickets 😉

You can always contact MOD but from my experience if they have a ticket it is more official and they will follow up until it is resolved. Without ticket your inquiry might get 'lost' or forgotten.

1. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

@JenPOD wrote:

And unfortunately I have a certain budget and I already went over for my phone the 50$ credit in my account is to pay my renewal I don't have anything els for top ups

Is the $50 showing as Available Fund?  If so, you don't need to top up more money, I think.

I see you said you can't use Simon to open ticket.  How about direct message (but Mod might not reply as quick):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

If you're unable to contact a moderator, you may need to search out a Wi-Fi zone or await the next renewal with the available funds in your account. 

It is difficult to understand why the moderators can not provide you with an early renewal option if you have the available funds for that to occur. 

JenPOD

And unfortunately I have a certain budget and I already went over for my phone the 50$ credit in my account is to pay my renewal I don't have anything els for top ups

JenPOD

Actually I could not get a ticket I got a 404 message 2 times it was SIMon who said. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JenPOD wrote:

Yes good idea. I did ask about early renewal and i was told it's not available right now 

When did you ask for early renewal?

PM system was shutdown this morning for maintenance.  Even during shutdown, the moderator should tell you that your plan will be renewed after PM system is running again.

Let me know the name of the moderator and I will inform PM to train the moderator properly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenPOD : You had asked the moderators here about doing an early renewal and they said they can't?! Did you ask that sometime overnight this past night? There was a scheduled downtime overnight. But they should be able to do early renewals now. You'll need to put money in for them to use.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JenPOD wrote:

I was homless for the last month and used my 10g so fast and already added almost 60$add ons I can't afford this my EI money is only in 2 weeks I can't add more. If I don't pay my bills today I will have late fees coming out of my behind lol

It is expensive way to get data using add-on.  Instead of paying $60 for 4GB of data add-ons, you can change your plan to the $40 5GB plan.

Options to get more data:
1. If your current data limit does not meet your 30 days' need, you may change a plan with more data. You can do the plan from from self-serve. You get your data back immediately with plan change. Login to your account. Select the Plan and add-ons tab and click on the Change Plan button.
2. If you want to renew the same plan early, you need to create a moderator support ticket using the Chat button at the bottom right corner. Moderator wait time is couple hours to 2 days. If your next renewal date is up to 2 days away, you may just on data diet for a few days until after renewal.
3. You can buy data add-ons $15 1GB data or $5 200MB data. Expensive option. This is a good option if you need a small amount of data occasionally. Data add-on does not have expiry date. Unused add-on data will be rolled over to next cycle.

Please note that there is no refund of the unused days of your current billing cycle if (option 2) you renew your plan early with moderator assistant or (option 1) change plan now.

@JenPOD 

If the moderators are telling you that you cannot renew early, then perhaps the best option is purchasing a 1 Gigabyte add-on for $15.

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add-Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re done.
  5. Some users have found that rebooting device is required afterwards.

JenPOD

Yes good idea. I did ask about early renewal and i was told it's not available right now 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenPOD : For the two days, I would buy yet more add-on(s) and be sparing with the consumption. Suggestion.

JenPOD

I know it's alot of data... I'm getting my stuff from storage in a couple days. I'm a gamer so it is a bit my fault for data usage but I didn't know how it worked in Montreal there is WiFi everywhere I never even needed a plan so this is like my first big one lol I always used online apps. Of home internet. Anyways I need that data today for bills so I will try to renew thanks for the help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenPOD : There is no pro-rating here. If you do an immediate plan change or early renewal, you "lose" what you've paid for and start anew.

If you can't find wifi in coffee shops or public spaces and you're using that much data then this place may not be a right fit for you at the moment.

Early renewals need moderator assistance.

JenPOD

How do you do early renewal... And do you mean like no service for a couple days or just cus I loos 2 days I paid for? 

@JenPOD 

@will13am wrote:

@JenPOD wrote:

I think your right.  My renewal date is in 2 days I taught if I payed today it would change. I just moved to the country side of shawinigan and have no internet I need to pay old bills and comunicat with people tbay can only be done with internet... There is no WiFi to be found here. 

If you don't mind losing a couple of days of service, you can do an early renewal.  

...or get the 1GB of data add-on for $15. If you don't use it all, it just rolls over until next time you need it, when your regular plan data runs out again.

edit...too slow

JenPOD

I was homless for the last month and used my 10g so fast and already added almost 60$add ons I can't afford this my EI money is only in 2 weeks I can't add more. If I don't pay my bills today I will have late fees coming out of my behind lol

@hTideGnow wrote:

@JenPOD wrote:

I have toped my account up and it says active and I owe nothing. When I turn on my data my phone says I'm using data and how much but it keeps popping up to sign into public mobile network 

Wonder if you try reboot the phone.  

What you meant by "it keeps popping up to sign into public mobile network "  ??  

Another thing, are incoming and outgoing calls working at least?

This happens when there is no mobile data.  

@JenPOD wrote:

I think your right.  My renewal date is in 2 days I taught if I payed today it would change. I just moved to the country side of shawinigan and have no internet I need to pay old bills and comunicat with people tbay can only be done with internet... There is no WiFi to be found here. 

If you don't mind losing a couple of days of service, you can do an early renewal.  

JenPOD

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@JenPOD wrote:

Wonder if you try reboot the phone.  

What you meant by "it keeps popping up to sign into public mobile network "  ??  

Another thing, are incoming and outgoing calls working at least?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenPOD : Just adding money doesn't do anything until renewal or you buy add-ons or change plans. It doesn't affect your service.

Check under My Data & Add-ons for the data counter. I suspect you're out of data so you won't see it listed.

Need Help? Let's chat.