cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing My Cancellation So I Don't Lose my Number, Any Advice Appreciated

fatfrog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i am switching back to a landline with shaw (public has been great but a landline just works better for me)

my renewal on autopay is set for the 24th and shaw will do the modem install and number switiching request on the 22nd in the afternoon

i thought about removing autopay but am worried that my number won't get switched in time and i will lose it, shaw says it takes 24-48 hours to make the number switch so the timing is pretty close

shaw says that if i pay and then cancel, public must refund me on prorated per day basis

can anyone advise what the best course of action is for me ?

if i remove autopay does my account just basically disappear on the 24th if there is no payment method ?

thanks for any help, as i say, public has been excellent and flawless for me and a great value but a landline will work better

12 REPLIES 12

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @fatfrog

The reason people are telling you to disable autopay because once your number  is ported out, your account is canceled and you cannot even login to your old account to remove autopay. A few people have reported problems with this. PM is not supposd to charge anymore and I think this is how it normally works.  They way you are planning it I think is perfectly fine, people are suggesting the removal of autopay as an extra precaution to avoid that issue later on.

Note: those who have claimed to have gotten charged, have had to deal with the moderaters to get a refund. I don't know the outcome of any of those claims except that some have come back to say "Oh the charge was ok, as it was for my son's account that I forgot about." I suspect a refund was issued if they were improperly charged. 

fatfrog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

this is what i have done switched to the $10 plan effective on plan change

i have left credit card prepay data in place and if the number transfers and i can cancel fine, if not i have the phone useful for another month when i am out and about

amazing replies and thanks everyone

smp99

You could br right

The other option is to switch plans now or a few days before to the $10 plan. Then you can remove autopay, so only $8. Then you have a full 30 days to complete the port and a few days ahead of the port to fix any issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99 wrote:

Just adding some details here 

- change to $10 plan now (pick change on next renewal)

- disable autopay and remove CC info

- late in the day of the last day of your current plan (11pm) add $10 to your account. If you can login your port has not gone through yet. At this point I would also change to $10 plan but this time pick change now. 

I'm not sure about your last bullet on the last day. It invites the system gremlins. Particularly once it says Plan Expired at 7pm ET. Maybe do that earlier in the day?

But I was successful in downgrading from the $35 to the $10 plan using future change well in advance and I had the Available Funds and no autopay at the time.

To ensure the $10 gets loaded, and the plan change is accepted, do this on the DAY BEFORE 'payment' date.  Too many folks can not change to a lower priced plan without actually making an immediate plan change.

AutoPay on or off, it seems to fail unless you do an immediate plan change.  Yes, you should remove credit card info for AutoPay to be removed (this is a good thing) as it doesn't always automatically cancel when the port is complete (another system glitch (wow..too many).

smp99

Just adding some details here 

- change to $10 plan now (pick change on next renewal)

- disable autopay and remove CC info

- late in the day of the last day of your current plan (11pm) add $10 to your account. If you can login your port has not gone through yet. At this point I would also change to $10 plan but this time pick change now. 

I would disable autopay so that Public Mobile doesn't keep trying to bill you and then you'll need the moderators to get refunds issued for you when and if the billing system incorrectly keeps billing you.

As for the timing of your port out, you're probably going to have to pay for another month of Public Mobile service (although you won't be able to use the service for most of that month).  When porting over to a landilne,  the window that you've given to have the number transfer complete is very tight.  It's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

As you would have disabled autopay already, before the payment would normally be due to Public Mobile for another 30 days, I would make sure to apply a manual payment on the last day before it's about to be renewed.  If you do find that your number does get ported to Shaw before Public Mobile is due for another payment, you won't need to pay again (and it won't let you pay again as your Public Mobile account will have already closed).  But whatever you do, do not let your Public Mobile account/plan go into suspended/expire status or your port request to Shaw will fail.

Public Mobile will not provide you a prorated refund.  Shaw customer service gave you incorrect information.  The proated refunds for partially used months is only madated for postpaid plans/accounts.  As it has not been mandated for prepaid plans (although for completely arbritary reasons), carriers aren't going to do it.

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I for one have not had a real land line for 12 years.  I have voip.  Switched all our cells to PM a few years ago.Excellent coverage and while there is no one to call with an issue the community is great.  I have 2 different voip lines.  The main is paired to my smart phone.  While I do have a house phone it does not had a phone connected and cost me nothing.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@fatfrog wrote:

i am switching back to a landline with shaw (public has been great but a landline just works better for me)

my renewal on autopay is set for the 24th and shaw will do the modem install and number switiching request on the 22nd in the afternoon

i thought about removing autopay but am worried that my number won't get switched in time and i will lose it, shaw says it takes 24-48 hours to make the number switch so the timing is pretty close

shaw says that if i pay and then cancel, public must refund me on prorated per day basis

can anyone advise what the best course of action is for me ?

if i remove autopay does my account just basically disappear on the 24th if there is no payment method ?

thanks for any help, as i say, public has been excellent and flawless for me and a great value but a landline will work better

Hi, sorry to see you go but i fully understand your situation although I will say I would be hesitant to go with a carrier that lied to me right off the bat about getting a refund from PM. 

But that's not the question.

I recommend 2 options.

- if $10 is worth it to keep your number than remove autopay and delete your CC information. Thjen if need be 2 days prior to renewal add $10 and do a "plan change on renewal" for the 24th.

or

- remove autopay and delete CC information then wait and see if the port is done by the 24th, if not your account will be suspended and then you can go and add $10 and do a plan change at that time, this will activate your account again.

I do not recommend leaving your CC information as there have been a few cases lately where CC have continued to be charged after the account was close bu=y porting number out.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

a) Your PM account must be active for the transfer to happen.

b) There are NO prorated refunds with prepaid carriers.

c) Your number is not lost if you do not pay until 90 days have elapsed.

So, best bet if you can live with lack of data is to leave autopay ON but select the $10 plan to activate on your next renewal (follow Change Plan from your account). If the port-out occurs before expiry your account will automatically close and the renewal fail. If the port-out is later, your cost is $10 less any rewards. 

Just keep an eye on your credit card to be sure charges are correct.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@fatfrog

If you don't pay in time, your account will be suspended.  You will not lose your phone number, but the porting process does need an active account.  

Public Mobile is prepaid, so there are no refunds on unused parts of your plan if you port earlier.  

You could switch your plan to the $10 plan at next renewal, so you won't be paying much next month and the port out.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fatfrog

Shaw rep was wrong because PM is prepaid service.  There is no refund of unused portion of fee for prepaid plan.

You can change to a $10 plan on your renewal date Nov 24.  With the autopay, you are paying $8 for the insurance that you will get your phone number ported to Shaw.

Need Help? Let's chat.