cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Community's Public Mobile Wishlist

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

We all have our wants and needs that we expect from public mobile and from time to time they make an announcement and ask for our imput. It then gets buried in the announcement board until the next time they make an announcement. Thanks to @gancanny posting his question today i thought that having a running thread of members wishes for their service maybe pm's @Alan_K and @Catherine_T can check in on it every once in awhile and see what wishes are actually feasible and cost effective and implement them. You never know your wish may come true! I know under @Tiana_V  time at public mobile ive had a couple of my wishes come true!

A few suggestions when posting your wish.......

1. Avoid repetitive wishes if its already been posted or elaborate on it. How can it be implemented? Cost savings? Examples of it in other platforms?
  2. Bravo the suggestions you agree with or think are practical or useful for the many.
  3. Keep your wish in the realm of possibilities.....weve all heard those who want unlimited data throttled to 128kbps but that just isnt going to happen here anytime soon......

Go ahead throw your penny in the fountain......and happy wishing! Maybe yours will come true...

129 REPLIES 129

@sbreakin 

That's an interesting concept a slow data add on. I dont know how feasible it is but i like the idea that way if you want it you pay for it. Or an unlimited slow data plan with talk and test. Still if the idea is to teach your daughter restraint it would only work when away from WiFi....maybe you could set her data tracker/ limit to 50mb. Then it will stop and it will have to be reset. This way she can understand how much data a video uses. Everytime she hits her limit she'll have 1/5 less of data left ( now she will the 1gb data gift).

Have you enabled all data saving options on her phone ? Turn off WiFi assist (iphone), data saver, turned off all background data? There is data saving apps that will help stretch available data by 40% or more depending on how the data is currently used. Here's a list of data saving apps....

Best Data Saver Apps for Android
  • Datally: data saving app by Google. Using smartphone optimally is a complex task as it needs to use data connection regularly. ...
  • My Data Manager – Data Usage. ...
  • Data Usage Monitor. ...
  • DataEye | Save Mobile Data. ...
  • GlassWire Data Usage Monitor. ...
  • Net-Guard. ...
  • Data Monitor: Simple Net-Meter. ...
  • InternetGuard Data Saver Firewall.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for chance at putting forth ideas/ suggestions.

My suggestion:

A data add-on that adds restricted/ slower data but in greater (or unlimited ) quantity for say $5 or $10.

Reason:

My daughter is on the Talk/ Text $15 plan with bonus 250mb data.

It's great as often she's at home / school and uses wifi & doesn't need data much.

But the 250mb often gets used up in one or two short web uses within day or 2.  I also bought 1Gb as a test & it lasted less than a week.

And to give her credit - she does try to pay attention & use wisely but all it takes is to not have wifi or loose the signal for while & not notice & then the video or Ticktocks use up data so quickly (usually 1 or 2 web sessions).

Sure i could move to a higher plan (like the new $30 - 2G with bonus) but that kind of defeats the purpose of 'helping' to guide her on restraint & quite frankly with 5G coming - one could run through lots of data very quickly especially if haven't set video resolution limits.

Shaw/ Freedom & Lucky & (heard also Rogers) have some plans with data then 'speed restricted'' data) and i think would be a nice option. 

Also want to add.. love public mobiles rewards and current pre paid set up. Wouldn't want to loose that.  Realize other co restricted data is on plans that are more expensive but be nice to have basic data for map traffic (with Map already downloaded) or simple social media connections my kid doesn't really need to watch videos while hanging out or walking. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@BearFBI I'm certain that Public Mobile knows that any reward changes would not be accepted with open arms by customers.  I believe that these rewards are what keeps the customers at Public.  Without those, I'm not sure what makes Public Mobile any different from the competition.

PM has its own, well known, special bugs and quirks  .... better the devil you know?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@BearFBI I'm certain that Public Mobile knows that any reward changes would not be accepted with open arms by customers.  I believe that these rewards are what keeps the customers at Public.  Without those, I'm not sure what makes Public Mobile any different from the competition.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo Yikes. Hopefully they don't remove refferal rewards. 

If thats the case then bye bye Public. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BearFBI  any changes to rewards will   be met  with resistance but  honestly where can one go for similar plans I guess lucky or chatr, so maybe keep autopyay? And community?*  But I am sure   changes are coming (as i  recall hearing the word sustainable rewards being mentioned in the community sessions iirc,  which implies they are currently considered unsustainable.  And thus something needs to done to fix them.  Hopefully it's not something too drastic.

Edit for clarification

* For my idea in the previous post

BearFBI

@mimmo 

"The other wish list item , this will get lots of negative votes, but make plans $30 rewards eligable only, similar to when the 20 day  plan was available yet not eligable. This is more of needing a min requirement for rewards to help have rewards be sustainable, "

If that happens many people will drop PM. Including me and my family. Not good for PM it would do more harm than good. 

"Base plan unlimied Tak + text $15/30

Data add-on valid 30 days 1gb $10, 2gb $15,  5 GB 25$ etc.  Keeping the talk + data inline with current prices."

This would be awesome. Ive always wanted them to do something like this. This is kinda what Dotmobile is planning to do. Although they plan on making the base plan include US and Canada wide for only 10$ a month then the rollover data on top of that. US roaming is included for free. 

This is my last wish. Why would you need to pay for US roaming. Public Mobile pays more for data on the Telus network than they would via a US network. There is no need to charge extra.

BearFBI

My wish would be some sort of *611 text option. It would be cool if you were able to text *611 and topup your account or buy addons via txt. Chatr has something like this. 

mimmo

@pm-smayer97  forget the texting add-on.  I wish pm would follow a modified @shaw@ model

Base plan unlimied Tak + text $15/30

Data add-on valid 30 days 1gb $10, 2gb $15,  5 GB 25$ etc.  Keeping the talk + data inline with current prices.

The other wish list item , this will get lots of negative votes, but make plans $30 rewards eligable only, similar to when the 20 day  plan was available yet not eligable. This is more of needing a min requirement for rewards to help have rewards be sustainable, 

Well, my wish is offering of some texting add-ons, like I mentioned over here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-about-a-Texting-Add-On/m-p/570899#M...

like how about a 500 or 1000 texts add-on for say $5 or 8$? Something reasonable to be able to expand usage for the occasional need.

@darlicious  ah ok yes those locations by you I remember it well as the way it was worded it sounded like you worked there and were promoting it.  Fond memories

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 

You would be surprised the market penetration pm has in bc compared to other jurisdictions in Canada. I've done quite a few store locator searches when that request comes in and in many other cities its mostly the major retailers that come up. Wal-Mart, TMS (thru loblaws companies), SDM and canadian tire for vouchers only and a smattering of small cellular retailers. Mobilicity and koodo round it out.

Here in bc there's a plethora of small cellular retailers, all the major players already mentioned along with London drugs, celluriffic , all the service stations like shell that sell vouchers and if you look for it I'm constantly finding little corner shops and cell repair shops and kiosks that have vouchers, top ups and sim cards. I know of at least 8 places to buy a pm voucher within 3 blocks of my house and 3 of them sell sim cards as well.

@tangycandy wrote:

I would to have an app which tracks your data usage and overall phone usage (talk hours, texts sent and received), and send you a notification if there's a problem with your payment. 

I would also love to see more physical stores where we can acquire SIM cards across Canada (not just BC). 

@tangycandy, if you are on Android you can use Data Witness.  It was developed by a PM customer @IWIK.  As for retail locations, there are more and more all the time and I don't think that BC is the Province with the most retail locations

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

tangycandy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would to have an app which tracks your data usage and overall phone usage (talk hours, texts sent and received), and send you a notification if there's a problem with your payment. 

I would also love to see more physical stores where we can acquire SIM cards across Canada (not just BC). 

tangycandy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh wow, I'm new to Public and didn't know you could ads funds this way. That's good to know!

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

I wish this wasn't buried in the moved threads.....oh wait I can make that come true!

@Jb456 

Looks like quebec is everywhere...       @treefrog  got their wish to come true that means i can save mine for something really big.........i think i know what i want but i dont want to put it in black and white yet or cream and sepia? Who is going put the 3gb plan on the list?

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just switching to public mobile has been an answer to my wishes a much cheaper phone bill thanks for making my wishes come true!

@Jb456 yeah that would be awesome! 🙂

treefrog

They should offer it to everyone even if its to compete with a quebec only provider. It reeks of favoritism  rather than equality. I remember reading about fizz is that the one that lets your plan data roll over and you can gift it?

@treefrog the only reason it's for Quebec is due to a provider here in the area called Fizz who's under another provider called Videotron. They use Rogers network

Anyways Fizz started offering 2 gigs for $32. So Public Mobile changed the plan for QC to compete with them.

Screenshot_20200730_152444.jpg

treefrog

I wish i could get the quebec plan i read about today. Although im on a promo right now giving me 5gb for $30 when it runs out i could probably do ok with only 2gb for $30. But i wouldnt pay $35 for 2gb just to save $5. I'd be better off staying where i am! Maybe it should look like this: $25/1gb  $30/2gb  $35/3gb and then $40/5gb still the best value along with $50/8.5gb but it would make more sense!

@mimmo 

First of all.....Got me!! Your "abyss" comment actually got me to scroll up to see if this thread had been moved to the lounge.....my heart sank for a second....i was like really?!! Lol....

"A bullet proof payment system"......sadly that should not be wishul thinking. I dont think anyone would disagree that autopay should never fail. What other company makes it difficult to take your money? Its usually the very opposite...they take too much of your money!

I know @darlicious agrees wholeheartedly with your opinion of simple simon but she also knows the consequences of wishing harm to another member of the community or a public mobile employee....im not sure where simon fits in all that but ill just leave it as "no comment" about as much as ive said to simon if you don't count the expletives.

A more mobile friendly website is an excellent wish.....its probably why i avoid using my phone to access it at all costs....and....duh....it only makes sense that a mobile provider has a mobile friendly site!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maximum_gato wrote:

@BearFBI 

Adding a pin for 611 when adding funds......you would think is very doable.....at the very least there should be one when accessing it from another device. There has been a couple of cases where funds were added and data add ons purchased......its just prudent of public mobile to clean up this security loophole.

This would be false. Funds can be added via pre-registered payment card or voucher without a PIN yes. Add-ons can not be purchased without a PIN.

@BearFBI 

Adding a pin for 611 when adding funds......you would think is very doable.....at the very least there should be one when accessing it from another device. There has been a couple of cases where funds were added and data add ons purchased......its just prudent of public mobile to clean up this security loophole.

Edit: Since i dont know how the add ons were purchased (could have been thru the account) @Anonymous  has gracefully pointed out my folly! What would i do if he didnt keep me on the straight and narrow....thx!

Overhaul of rewards is something that has been asked for at least the last 7-8 months when there was a rush of inflated Bravo counts as many were pushing for new records and bravoing to get people to those records

mimmo

Wow many ideas, not sure where to start.

#1 for me is a mobile friendly selfserve.

#2 is bulletproof payment system.

#3 RIP simon and it's it's convoluted ticketing ie make it easy

#4 submit a ticket and get a phonecall back. Lucky does this, and I think a lot less time, energy and frustrations would be had to solve problems.  But atlas I'm sure all the above (mine and previous posts) is simply  dreaming in technocolour. 😞

And as with all these threads after a couple days it too will be lost in the abyss.

@Jb456 

I agree an overhaul of how the community rewards are calculated is long overdue. The top secret formula whether it gets tweaked or not no longer is able to properly reflect quality posting and true targeted and effective help from dedicated members of the community. Effort should be rewarded but both effort and achievement is what really counts......its disheartening to see top notch, knowledgeable problem solvers who also put in the time or make themselves available at the drop of a hat (or bat signal) with their expertise to quickly provide much needed help be rewarded with a top 10%$5 or top 25%$2 badges when their value is clearly priceless.....or top 5"% or top 1% level. June's badge awarding was cheap on public mobiles part.....not even close to $400 was handed out with the top badge levels reduced resulting in undeserved demotions for some hard working individuals.

UFO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A few areas that I want to see improvement on:

1. PM should have someone clean up the forums once in a while.   A question or problem should only have a max of 2 answers/solutions at the end of the day.  Any redundant responses or conversational type of replies should be removed.  This will keep our forum clean and make it easier to find the answers.  Similar questions should also be grouped.

2. Invoices should be available 24/7 on the portal - it doesn't have to look fancy, but in today's world, it seems very inefficient to have to email moderators to get formal invoices.

3. Continue with above, it would also be great if the invoice can summarize our total usage in the 30-day period.  Sometimes I want to check if my parents are close to reaching their data limit (or not anywhere close to the limit) in the previous months so I can adjust their plan accordingly, but the only way to do is that is to go to "view usage" and manually add all these usage lines up.  That is so time-consuming.

brettster99

This could be way out in left field with feasibility but maybe something like an app where you can do everything on it like paying for the plan or looking at how much data you used with the bonus of it not needing wifi (IE It would be backed to the last time it was connected to the internet) So you can get a general estimate of how much data you have left (or minutes too on the $15 plan) I believe Koodo, Fido, and Virgin have this as well as Bell I think. Don’t know about Telus or Rogers. Potential revenue source by more people buying add ons 

This one is me just dreaming but some more marketing to get public mobile out there more so people don’t automatically assume (oh that’s a scam) I mean I seen way more lucky mobile ads then I have Public mobile. Get more people aware of public mobile which could generate more customers 

Another idea is to just change the colour of this site to something more upbeat and fun. Every time I come on here it’s a beige colour that gets me more sad then anything else (But who knows maybe there is a reason for this colour that I’m not aware of) Fizz is green and lucky mobile is light blue which both are fun colours that me feel good. More quality of life change that I feel would benefit everyone and with the possibility of people staying on the site longer (IE the main public mobile page) 

Can’t think of anything else. I believe only really the third one is plausible but a guy could dream

Need Help? Let's chat.