cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts

Toy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am not receiving text messages sent from South Africa. 

7 REPLIES 7

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Toy wrote:

It is my Bank in South Africa so they won’t text someone else. I have a friend in SA and I got him to text me and it was successful. Although on my bank profile the number appears correct I have sent them an email to check if the preceding 00 has been inserted in front of  the tel #. I have a funny feeling that this is where the problem is. Thank you for your help I will confirm once the problem is cleared 

Hello @Toy 

Would this text from the bank be coming in as a Short Code?

See this thread on Short Codes: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

Can you try having the bank send you the text through a Fongo or Textnow account phone number?

Toy

I will follow up with the bank. Txs

@Toy  You friend can text you but the bank might not.

When the bank text someone , they use some system to text and it might setup to text to particular numbers only.  In your case, it might setup to text to local South African numbers only.    It might work, bit might not, depends on the settings of their system.

I think you need to talk to your South African bank and confirm if they will text to international number.    

Personally, I have a feeling that their system won't text to Canada

Toy

It is my Bank in South Africa so they won’t text someone else. I have a friend in SA and I got him to text me and it was successful. Although on my bank profile the number appears correct I have sent them an email to check if the preceding 00 has been inserted in front of  the tel #. I have a funny feeling that this is where the problem is. Thank you for your help I will confirm once the problem is cleared 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Toy wrote:

Hi @Toy ,

Have they been able to text you previously, or is this all of a sudden?

Are they able to try to text anyone else in Canada successfully? Maybe ask them to try someone else as a test.

Are you sure their plan allows this service?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 wrote:

To call Canada from South Africa, dial: 00 - 1 - 10 Digit Mobile Number

Or they can try +1 tendigits.

Enter + in dialer by holding 0.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Toy wrote:

Make sure the caller from South Africa is using this format to text you:

To call Canada from South Africa, dial: 00 - 1 - 10 Digit Mobile Number

Need Help? Let's chat.