cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting while in the USA

GeorgeO
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A friend of mine  (I referred them to PM) tells me that she is able to send/receive texts when she is in the USA but she hasn't bought a roaming USA add-on.      Calling doesn't work but texts do.

She bought an ESIM to use for mobile data in the USA and uses a VOIP service while in the USA.

I couldn't explain  why texts to/from her PM number worked.

( I also  wondered if texting to my PM number while I am on holiday in France would work as well?)

Does anyone have an explanation ?

cheers

7 REPLIES 7

GeorgeO

many thanks

GeorgeO

many thanks.    Last vacation there I bought an Orange Esim.   Worked well.

@Dunkman Bingo. Receiving texts work without a roaming add-on in the US. Additionally, iMessage and RCS use data, so if you have a wifi connection that will work. Keep in mind that at the moment RCS only works between Android devices, and only if the user has turned on RCS in the messaging app; and of course iMessage only works between iPhones.

Thankfully Apple has finally announced that they'll adopt RCS at the end of 2024, which will make cross platform messaging possible (via native messaging apps) with wifi or data (no need to subscribe to SMS roaming). I'm sure MFA will continue to use SMS, but at least in the US those are still free to receive, as noted.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@GeorgeO 

you will have no PM service while in France.

Your friend in US should be able to recieve texts without a roaming add-on...just can't respond / send texts.

added...if they're referring to using  iMessage while in US...that will receive and send while connected to wifi only.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@GeorgeO 

Public mobile customers can receive texts for free while roaming in the USA (without roaming packages).  Should not be able to sent texts though without roaming package.  If using iMessage or RCS chat, your friend could sent these messages since it requires data or wifi.

Besides USA, no other international roaming with Public mobile. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@GeorgeO  No sorry PM only works in Canada or the U.S. with roaming add on . When in France your best to get a local pre paid SIM card there for your trip 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

She might have Can+USA plan. But that plan would allow her to call too?

I believe she CAN receive SMS while in USA but she cannot send having just Can plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.