cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting in the US

PurpleHeart
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My whole family has public mobile plans and we are currently in the US. My husband and daughter can freely text each other, my son cannot text at all and I can only receive texts. My husband is on the $40 plan, my son and daughter are on the $15 plan and I'm on the $25 plan. I don't understand why some of us can text in the US and some of us can't. We did not buy any roaming add-ons.

5 REPLIES 5

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

If you, your husband, and your son use the Google Messages app for text, and you turn on RCS messages, they/you too will be able to "text" over wifi together as well (not to the iPhone though, as RCS between Android and iOS isn't coming until late next year).

PurpleHeart
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Aha! That must be it. I have Samsung s9, my daughter has iPhone and my son and hubby have google pixel phones. Thanks, it makes sense now. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PurpleHeart  I would say @HALIMACS  solved  that mystery . As iPhone to iPhone can text any where in the world through iMessage with data or on wifi 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @PurpleHeart 

you have Wifi? your husband and daughter are using iMessage or RCS with Wifi and hence can send message to each other, but those are not text

Your son cannot because he is not using iMessage or RCS. He can check the phone settings to make sure the iMessage or RCS is on, then he can receive the message with Wifi

FYI, it is normal that regular no Canada-US plan, like the $40, $15 and $25 plans,does not allow the send text in US without a roaming addon, but still can receive for free

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@PurpleHeart 

If I were to guess, this is the use of iMessage in a Wi-Fi zone

Need Help? Let's chat.