cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages severely delayed

PSF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am having a very strange issue I was texting my girlfriend at 9:17 pm and now finally at 2:10 pm today I am getting random answers to the texts I sent. last night its very confusing how can I fix this

10 REPLIES 10

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PSF  You could also try turning everything off including iMessage, data, and other apps. Try to send a regular text/sms with only text (no pictures) while only connected to the voice network. This should be the simplest form of texting and ought to work especially if both of you are on PM. WhatsApp, iMessage and other apps rely on more things to work properly such as data/wifi (internet), the app itself etc

@zblackma wrote:

Have you tried sending/receiving a message today? Is it working now? You said that this was unusual. It happened to me a few times over the years. Messages being lost in cyberspace and appearing hours later. LOL . 

Yup, I've only been using a cell phone for less than a year(although I used the wife's, on occasion), and both my wife and I have had that sort of thing happen.....

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Always helps to have a backup app in times like this, text now telegram, etc, you should always plan for gaps in service.

@PSF 

Does your girlfriend plan have data?  iMessage needs either data or Wifi.  That could be the issue.  If she ran out of data or turned off data, it will affect iMessages and potentially cause delay.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PSF 

To avoid the iPhone and Android phone issue, use WhatsApp over wifi or mobile data.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Have you tried sending/receiving a message today? Is it working now? You said that this was unusual. It happened to me a few times over the years. Messages being lost in cyberspace and appearing hours later. LOL .  

@PSF wrote:

She has an IPhone and I have an Android but this has never happened before how can I fix it our conversations don't make sense because of this problem

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PSF 

The location of the sender or recipient can create a delay in text message delivery.  SMS isn't an instant messaging service.  SMS message is piggyback on the voice channel for delivery.  It depends on how busy the voice channel was.

First thing I'd try is disabling imessage on the iphone and make sure mms is enabled at the same time. During testing, make sure you both have your data on as well.

Here's a set of directions if she needs them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-enable-mms-on-iphone

PSF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

She has an IPhone and I have an Android but this has never happened before how can I fix it our conversations don't make sense because of this problem

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@PSF Iphones using imessage? OR One iphone, one Android?

This is often the issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.