cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages keep coming to old phone

terrahughes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I got a new unlocked phone because my screen was cracked on my old one and I put my sim card into my new phone yesterday May 25th and calling and texting (whether receiving or sending) all go through, except when I text a few people today (May 26) they sent through my new phone (sim card inserted into this phone) but when they replied, all their texts come into my old phone (no sim card in it at all).

Its annoying carrying around 2 phones and trying to see these certain people's texts on my old phone

How do I get rid of this problem?

Also the people texting me and their msgs going to the old phone are set as sms/MMS messaging only so I know they aren't going through wifi.

9 REPLIES 9

wellis

I use an iPhone, and to my knowledge you can’t receive text messages without wifi if you have no SIM card. Try going into your settings and making sure your phone number is registered with your new phone. 
Is it possible these messages are coming through as you briefly connect to previously used public wifi?

terrahughes

Have already turned off all chat features... this problem is only happening with 1 person when he texts me, anyone else... all msgs go to the new phone🤷🏼‍♀️

terrahughes

No,it is not an iPhone... both are android 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@terrahughes  "Also the people texting me and their msgs going to the old phone are set as sms/MMS messaging only so I know they aren't going through wifi."

It is impossible to receive texts without a SIM card, except with an app that uses wifi data. Suspect the resolution was given for RCS and iMessage. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@terrahughes wrote:

I got a new unlocked phone because my screen was cracked on my old one and I put my sim card into my new phone yesterday May 25th and calling and texting (whether receiving or sending) all go through, except when I text a few people today (May 26) they sent through my new phone (sim card inserted into this phone) but when they replied, all their texts come into my old phone (no sim card in it at all).

Its annoying carrying around 2 phones and trying to see these certain people's texts on my old phone

How do I get rid of this problem?

Also the people texting me and their msgs going to the old phone are set as sms/MMS messaging only so I know they aren't going through wifi.

@terrahughes is this an iphone?

This is caused by your “iMessage” still being active on your old iPhone.

• To fix this issue, go into Settings > Messages and make sure that “iMessage” is turned off. That will allow all messages to come in on your new device.
    Note: Ensure your phone is connected to the internet (3G/4G or WiFi) so that the changes will sync with your Apple ID.
  • If you don’t have your iPhone any longer:
    1. Make sure you have your new phone with you.
    2. Select your Country from the drop-down list.
    3. Enter your mobile number.
    4. Click ‘send code‘.
  • A confirmation code will be sent to via text. Enter the code and click ‘submit‘ to deregister iMessage.

If "old" phone is an iPhone you need to de-register it. 

I meant the message he got on his old phone, the one without SIM is not really SMS but people sending him via RCS Chat.   By turning off RCS on the old phone, that would eliminate those messages.

Turn off RCS messaging before switching phones to stop messages going to old phone (piunikaweb.com)

It mentions there that messages could go to the old phone up to 8 days..

.. also from google   How to turn chat features off (google.com)

If you're having issues, such as missing text messages (SMS/MMS), and you’re using the same phone number from your previous phone, you may need to turn chat features off on your previous phone

@softech wrote:

Android?  

On the old phone, go into the settings of the messages app, and turn off "chat features" aka RCS / Rich communication services.

Apple, similar issue but iMessages

Are you sure about that?  I think no SIM = no phone number = no RCS.  I think what is happening here is that the messaging platform in question is not reliant on the SIM.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Android?  

On the old phone, go into the settings of the messages app, and turn off "chat features" aka RCS / Rich communication services.

Apple, similar issue but iMessages

Need Help? Let's chat.