cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message went to email

Voodle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone and my son has an android phone. This week I sent him 2 text messages and wondered why he didn’t respond promptly. He told me that both of the text messages I sent arrived in his email, rather than arriving as texts. Can someone explain how this happens and more importantly, how to fix the issue. Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't think that this has to do anything with iMessage. You can send iMessage so somebody using their eMail address (that was mainly for iPads and iPods built for) as recipient but that doesn't mean they will get it in eMail. They will get it into Messaging app. As your son has android, I don't understand how he got an email as that makes no sense. So, I would just make sure you send him by using his phone number (start new conversation and select his phone number). As he's on Android, message sent should be Green color. If it is Blue, then it is iMessage. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Voodle you don't have to turn off iMessage just for that.  Check your settings,  I think Send as SMS switch is off now

Voodle

Thank you so much for your explanation and for de-mystifying the intricacies of Apple’s text messages and iMessage. From now on, I’ll have to turn off iMessage when I text my son.

@Voodle check your iPhone contact and temporary remove yuur son's email address,  make sure phone number is there,  then try message again

Voodle

Thank you for your assistance. My son has never had an iPhone and has never had Apple ID.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

imessages strikes again. imessage can send to an email or to a number. Proper SMS texting goes to a number. imessage can also send to other idevices with its own internal instant messaging system that needs the internet.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

SMS has to go to SMS and email to email UNLESS Apple setting are modified.

Let him verify if is is using apple proprietary apps for these two or native apps. Always issues with apple...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Voodle any chance your son on iPhone earlier and just changed to Android?  

it may be they have it set for his Apple ID rather than his phone number. Check your settings

Try to make it send as SMS

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Voodle 

Turn off your iMessage and send regular text message instead.

Make change in your phone settings.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Voodle - can you check your son's android settings (or perhaps this is a gmail set up setting) to see if he has SMS forwarded to emails?

Are other SMS going to emails or just yours?

Need Help? Let's chat.