cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messages outside of Canada

Jsb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are going on vacation outside of North America and I wanted to know if an SMS message is sent to my iPhone, whether I will receive it.

8 REPLIES 8

And imessages only come to and from yours and other iphones. It's because it uses old timey instant messaging that uses the internet. Real actual SMS texts use their own method of transmission via the cellular system.

HI @Jsb 

you are correct

Jsb

I believe I will receive an iMessage if the message is sent as data (in blue) but not as an SMS text message (in green).

HI @Jsb 

True, no text at all in Thailand

if you are using text for 2FA, you need to arrange and change it to email or stop 2FA temporarily 

@Jsb 

whenever you have a wifi signal, you'll be able to use iMessgaes whilst in Thailand. Wifi is everywhere these days..most restaurants, cafes and motels have free wifi...you might just have to ask for their wifi password.

Jsb

We are going to Thailand for our vacation.  So this means I won't be able to receive any text messages while abroad.  Is that correct?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Jsb 

wherever you are, if you have wifi, you'll be able to receive iMessages.  Regular PM messageing won't work once you leave Canada (and US without texting add-on)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Jsb 

without roaming, PM can still send SMS to US for free.  But only to US and you won't be able to reply text, nor able to send and receive phone calls and data

But PM only has roaming option for US.  So, if you are going outside of  North America, then there would be no service at all and need to use local data sim card

Need Help? Let's chat.