cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Signal and 5G LTE Speeds

TheBlackCat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I ported over from Fizz yesterday to the $34 5G plan with 40GB. During the porting process it told me there was an issue and it'd couldn't complete it, however in the end the system seems to have worked itself out. I've tested calls, SMS and data and they all seem to be working but the data speeds seem downright horrible.

I'm in Montreal and so far from the local testing I've done, I'm averaging 25mbps download with tops 5mbps upload with PM and getting 1-2 bars of signal. With Fizz, I was able to consistently get on average 145mbps download and 35-40mbps upload and my signal bars were often 4-5. This is with an iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Is there anything I can do to or should be aware of either in the setup or transfer that might affect the speeds? I would hate to leave PM but that's a major speed difference especially when avertised as 5G (up to but still...). Furthermore, would anyone in the Montreal / West Island area have experience with PM's covergae to share?

2 REPLIES 2

TheBlackCat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Right now mostly in the suburbs, which previous networks I've had (Fizz, Fido) seemed to have no issues with. I'll be heading out more today to check out. Hopefully this is just temporary.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TheBlackCat , there's little you can do about network congestion.  Have you tried the speeds in different locations?  

Need Help? Let's chat.