cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus to Public Mobile questions (porting)

JayJits_invalid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched to PM easily the other day with no difficulties what so ever. I used an unlocked phone.

My coworker is now considering it herself for her and her husbands smartphone service.

She asked me a couple of questions and I am turning to the PM Community for a few answers. (thanks in advance)

1) They have 2 phones iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy 4 locked to Telus, will they work on PM without having to be unlocked prior to installing the SIM, picking their plan and setting up their account?

2) Is there still a delay with using an iPhone? I read that there is a 12min delay for LTE service when the phone is being turned on.

3) Do they have to do anything special when porting their Telus number to PM? With Koodo I read people have to pick a new number, then email PM asking for a port of their old number to replace the new one.  Does this happen with Telus or is it as simple when I activated a few days ago and you choose the porting number option in the set up?

3 REPLIES 3

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JayJits_invalid wrote:

3) Do they have to do anything special when porting their Telus number to PM? With Koodo I read people have to pick a new number, then email PM asking for a port of their old number to replace the new one.  Does this happen with Telus or is it as simple when I activated a few days ago and you choose the porting number option in the set up?

If they are on a post-paid Telus plan, I don't believe anything special is required.  If they are on a pre-paid Telus plan instead, then I believe it's recommended to use a different email address when activating with PM than you use with your Telus account.  If they really want to keep the same address, then what you can do is to sign into your MyTelusMobility account and change the email address to another email (if needed, sign up for a free gmail, outlook.com, etc account) just to get it to be different.  The port will close out the old Telus account once completed anyway, so it's just a temporary thing.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

XJin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can answer the second question.

Yes there was a delay after activation new SIM on an iPhone. First there's only 3G signal, after several minute there comes LTE. just to make it clear, this only happen after activation, not after every reboot ot turning on/off airplane mode.

I just activated mine SIM 2 days ago on my iPhone 6 Plus. I was a little bit shocked that I only got 3G at first. But after no more than 5 minutes (including a reboot, editing APN settings and switch off/on LTE) I see LTE signal. I did a speed test right after that, DL 55 Mbps and UL 19 Mbps.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @JayJits_invalid, welcome to Public Mobile!

Answers inline:

@JayJits_invalid wrote:

I switched to PM easily the other day with no difficulties what so ever. I used an unlocked phone.

My coworker is now considering it herself for her and her husbands smartphone service.

She asked me a couple of questions and I am turning to the PM Community for a few answers. (thanks in advance)

1) They have 2 phones iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy 4 locked to Telus, will they work on PM without having to be unlocked prior to installing the SIM, picking their plan and setting up their account?

- Yes, Telus locked phones will work with PM, they will not need to have them unlocked.

2) Is there still a delay with using an iPhone? I read that there is a 12min delay for LTE service when the phone is being turned on.

- Had not heard of this and don't have an iPhone so can't say for sure, someone else can probably answer.

- They could do it as a 1-step like you did, but it is safer to do it 2-step with a new temporary number. However, the second step should to use Change Number in the self serve portal (instead of emailing PM).

Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.