cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus account

iCruise
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I switch my Telus SIM card to public mobile? I received my phone from Telus. Will it be locked to Telus or can I switch to PM?

15 REPLIES 15

Don't get me wrong. I'm not condemning CCS, not accusing them of anything unethical, illegal, etc. By all accounts they appear entirely legit. (Before judging them by their shady-looking website, we should objectively remind ourselves that we're logged into Public Mobile's shady-looking website, lol.)

They're just not the official source. So, to me, they just don't/can't sell what I want/need to buy. Even if they might sell the same product cheaper and provide useful services.

I've seen plenty of folks rant and rage and panic hereabouts because they're victims of some sort of SIM fraud or another (which probably has no connection at all with CCS). But I don't intend to become part of that unhappy group. Even if that means I gotta pay two bucks more than everyone else, permanently scrub the SIMID markings off the card after activation, lock access to the phone's SIM display info in settings, and wear my paranoid tinfoil hat in the rain. I explain my logic to reassure all the other tinfoil hats that I haven't gone entirely mad and senile (at least not quite yet).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

Well you have better access to that info than I do......So I suppose when you recieve your sim card from pm is the only thing that is random. If you recieve it at all. Other at Xmas when Canada Post delivery times can be completely random CCS is consistent with their shipping being within 5 business days. That I can count on.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If your phone is locked, a Telus phone will work on Public Mobile and Koodo as well. 

If your phone was purchased December 2017, in Canada or later .....It had to be unlocked as per CRTC. 

If your phone is an iPhone and was purchased at  the Apple store, it was sold in the unlocked state. 

You can get PM SIM cards free to $10. You can let a retailer set you up and then you have to finish your account set up yourself. 

You can buy a SIM and do it all yourself, online, and you can port your Telus number as well as part of the activation process. I suggest the latter. 

Don’t forget to get a referral for a one time $10 off. 

You can also get a one time deal on the plan at CCS and a free SIM. 

Make sure you keep your Telus SIM in your phone and keep your Telus account active, if you are porting the number.  Porting out will close your Telus account. I suggest that you remove your payment type from Telus before you port out.  

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

When I ordered pm sim cards from the website they came from an address in Naniamo on Vancouver Island. Others like @CountyDownIeUk  has recieved them from an address in Calgary. My point being that CCS being an official retail partner of public mobile that any security risk that @Korth  posted about would certainly not be any greater with CCS than with any of the many "fulfillment centres" that you mention.....fufillment centres that appear to have residential addresses in some cases.

The fullment centres that I have looked up are warehouses that specialize in supply chain logistics.  They also likely deal with all of the Telus brands shipments and order filling, and would almost certainly be the source for which CCS gets their SIM cards to begin with. I can understand your point that you've received good service from CCS, but Public Mobile's supply chain arragements are far from random.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

When I ordered pm sim cards from the website they came from an address in Naniamo on Vancouver Island. Others like @CountyDownIeUk  has recieved them from an address in Calgary. My point being that CCS being an official retail partner of public mobile that any security risk that @Korth  posted about would certainly not be any greater with CCS than with any of the many "fulfillment centres" that you mention.....fufillment centres that appear to have residential addresses in some cases.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@darlicious wrote:

@Korth 

I will vouch for the owner of CCS who has gone above and beyond for me in several instances. You also seem to have overlooked the fact that pm site ordered sim cards come from third party vendors that you have absolutely no idea who they are....so in fact CCS could be considered more reliable and a safer source for sim cards than pm themselves as you know exactly who you are recieving your sim card from rather than an anonymous vendor.

Telus/Public Mobile has a contracted fulfillment centre company.  I suppose that you could argue that this is a third party as it's not Telus themselves sending it, but this is as about as direct from Public Mobile as possible and is through the official supply channel. I would not consider these fullfilment centres to be "vendors".

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

I will vouch for the owner of CCS who has gone above and beyond for me in several instances. You also seem to have overlooked the fact that pm site ordered sim cards come from third party vendors that you have absolutely no idea who they are....so in fact CCS could be considered more reliable and a safer source for sim cards than pm themselves as you know exactly who you are recieving your sim card from rather than an anonymous vendor.

@Korth wrote:

Costs $2 more, yes. But no chance of introducing any risks from "sketchy" vendors. CCS seems popular around here, many community members have purchased from them, they seem legit. Though their availability on these SIM cards always seems limited, their pricing on these SIM cards always seems wildly variable, they always appear to be a rush to move them (and to convince visitors to buy them).

@Korth   I worry our CSC rep here will come and defend (lol.. just jk)

But honest, they really offering quite some extra service , like activate the sim for you first and send you an activated SIM later.  Good service.. but only if you trust them.  I am not sure. 

@HALIMACS wrote:

Is the little golden chip in your SIM card really just as valuable as the little golden chip in your bank card or your credit card?   Is it really a key to one's identity and finances?   

Do you use your phone to make tap payments? Paypal, checking your bank balance, buying something online, etc?

If so, then it is a recognized and "trusted" device for accessing your finances. It probably also has every one of your passwords stored on it, since few people are paranoid enough to be inconvenienced by lengthy password typing on a puny touchscreen.

Ever use it to login to your email? Your social media? Your cloud stuff? Again, you likely allow it to helpfully remember all those for you.

If somebody steals your SIM card or your device, can find basic "prove your identity" answers ... and change all the passwords before you know there's a problem ... how are you going to halt the theft or fix the problem or prove/reclaim your identity in time? Remember that email and cloud accounts are usually the anchor points for issuing "forgot my password" requests. Remember that the phone number is the common anchor for 2FA validations. And remember that most people don't actually remember anything their phone can remember for them ... do you know all your contacts and how to contact them? Do you have any backups of anything on your phone, like maybe the answers to the sorts of questions about your accounts that businesses will ask to confirm you are who you say you are?

Most people have trivial stuff on their phones. All their contacts. Some photos, messages, notes. Nothing of any real interest or value. But too many people are sloppy, lazy, or ignorant, all too easily seduced into complacency. SIM jacking, identity theft, and fraud are real problems and a stolen/found phone is almost always involved.

I'm okay with spending a whopping $2 one time to buy "peace of mind". I'm not okay with saving a few bucks now if it introduces the risk of buying expensive problems later. CCS appears legit. But people who set themselves up to be victims always seem to be the ones who end up being victimized, lol.

Seems a bit paranoid to me, @Korth 

I mean, I fully agree the CCS website looks, uhm 'odd', to say the least.

However I (personally) have 5 members who have used them for anywhere from 2 months to 2 years and to date, no problems, no apparent other issues.

Is the little golden chip in your SIM card really just as valuable as the little golden chip in your bank card or your credit card?   Is it really a key to one's identity and finances?   

Seriously asking - not being facetious.  

@esjliv wrote:

Public Mobile SIM cards are currently $3 each here: https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/public-mobile-multi-sim-card-3-in-1-...

Seems like a sketchy website, lol, but it is valid, I have purchased here a few times. 

Or you can buy PM SIM cards directly from PM for $5 each. Just click "Shop" and "SIM Card" at the top of this page. It'll arrive, eventually, in a sealed package nobody outside of PM (or PM's SIM card supplier) has ever opened.

Costs $2 more, yes. But no chance of introducing any risks from "sketchy" vendors. CCS seems popular around here, many community members have purchased from them, they seem legit. Though their availability on these SIM cards always seems limited, their pricing on these SIM cards always seems wildly variable, they always appear to be a rush to move them (and to convince visitors to buy them).

For me it's worth a one-time cost of $5 to fully ensure my SIM card is uncompromised, untampered, unseen, untainted by any "sketchy-looking" half-anonymous middleman website (even if they are legit).

The little golden chip in your SIM card is just as valuable as the little golden chip in your bank card or your credit card - it's a critical key to your identity and your finances - and I would always prefer to directly pay my bank or credit card issuer whatever fee they charge for an absolutely legit and secured card instead of shopping for the same item at a discounted price from somebody's website.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@iCruise 

When did you get your phone from telus? Phones have been sold unlocked since December 2017 but there is cases of phones sold into 2018 still being locked so if it falls in that time range it would be a good idea to check that it isn't. It would still work with pm regardless but having it unlocked before you leave is always a good idea.

You would have to purchase a new pm sim card to activate an account with pm. CCS as suggested by @esjliv is a very reliable retailer and I have purchased many pm products from them including their activation bundles that offer good value. However if you intend to activate on a $35+ plan and use the 2GBBONUS promocode it is only valid for online activations so keep this in mind when choosing your product.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@iCruise wrote:

Can I switch my Telus SIM card to public mobile?

NO, YOU'LL NEED A PUBLIC MOBILE SIM CARD.  YOUR TELUS SIM CARD WILL BECOME UNUSABLE AFTER YOU PORT (MOVE) TO PUBLIC MOBILE.

I received my phone from Telus. Will it be locked to Telus or can I switch to PM?

IT MAY BE LOCKED TO TELUS DEPENDING ON WHEN YOU ACQUIRED IT FROM THEM.  THEY'LL UNLOCK IT FREE OF CHARGE, SO ASK THEM TO CONFIRM ITS STATUS JUST SO YOU CAN GET IT UNLOCKED.   THE ONLY WAY IT MIGHTN'T WORK IF IT'S REALLY OLD, BUT THAT'S UNLIKELY.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@iCruise wrote:

Can I switch my Telus SIM card to public mobile? I received my phone from Telus. Will it be locked to Telus or can I switch to PM?

@iCruise  you can only use a Telus SIM card for a Telus account/plan.

The Telus phone you can use with any other provider as long it is unlocked and compatible.

Since it compatible with Telus it will be compatible with Public Mobile.

Public Mobile SIM cards are currently $3 each here: https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/public-mobile-multi-sim-card-3-in-1-...

Seems like a sketchy website, lol, but it is valid, I have purchased here a few times. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@iCruise   You can use your Telus phone on PM without issue even it is locked.  (However, most phones you got from any carrier should be unlocked by law)

But you still need a new PM SIM card to activate plan with PM if you want to join PM.

so, get a new PM Sim from store (Usually around $10) or from PM online ($5 now but it could take 2 weeks for delivery) , then you can activate and use the same Telus phone here

Need Help? Let's chat.